main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recommendations for the best Star Trek film?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by TheBoogieMan, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Not directly no, but William Shatner is on record as blaming the failure of STV as being the fault of the studio for watering down his original concept of literally putting the chacters through hell.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ST5 definitely had conceptual/development problems that led to it's current state.

Insurrection is a different problem altogether- they weren't trying to make the next movie be a continuation of the previous film's influences; they were, in fact, trying to do the exact opposite and were intentionally aiming for a lighter movie.

Beyond that, not only did it not want to be influenced by the successful elements of the previous film, there was seemingly little effort to even make Insurrection be influenced by, or have influence on, the rest of the film series or even the rest of the Trek franchise as a whole.

So, you don't get any kind of mini-trilogy/quadrilogy weaving together like 2, 3, 4 (&, more or less, 6) that pulls Generations, FC and Insurrection together into some kind of whole, nor do you get any significant connection to DS9 where the Enterprise's status as flagship would make the most sense- thus the whole briar patch patrol nonsense and, generally (when combined with the above) killing previously-at-a-near-high audience interest in the film franchise and the success of the franchise as a whole in one awful movie.

But...I'll try not to go into that too much right now. ;)

(I swear, in a few years when I get to where Insurrection is on the timeline of my viewing chronology, I'll birth a rant on that movie so epic it will traverse time itself and break the internet in 1998...)

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    So... are you agreeing with me or not? :confused:[face_blush]

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I am agreeing with in that Star Trek IV worked really well as comedy and that the studio tried to change the tone of TFF to reflect this, not realizing that STV didn't really have much comedic potential.

5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, maybe for some, or even most people, but not for me.
    It isn't just dated, it's dated campy. It felt more like a 60s/70s farce movie than an 80s humor. And while things like the Yellow Pages add were almost funny in 1986, they just seem lame now.
    And Mr Scott with the computer... where to begin... (sigh)

nope, while it may be popularist, I cannot call it a good movie.

Plus, on top of everything else, it introduced that dash-letter concept. Really? Did we need that? No.

6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    The new one seems to be the most popular one now. Plus the one I would recommend the most.

I always enjoyed IV. I think much of its humor still works as it's not really about the 80s, but more about this futuristic crew awkwardly trying to cope with walking around the relatively modern world.

I think my favorite classic crew film, though, as in classic classic crew, not reboot classic crew, is probably VI. Khan is great and I like the whales (heck, even V has a soft spot in my heart), but there are so many elements about The Undiscovered Country that I enjoy, that would definitely be the one I'd go with. Though it might be a little jarring to make a first movie Trek adventure the classic crew's last movie adventure. I mean, it starts right of the bat with Sulu on another ship. I'm kind of a sucker for Klingons and I think Plummer and Warner knock it out of the park, so it's what I'd go with.

So, the new one is #1. Classic crew go with Undiscovered. TNG go with First Contact.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.