main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Recommendations for the best Star Trek film?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by TheBoogieMan, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The other being First Contact, I presume?

2. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004

Well seeing as how in Insurrection we never find out WHEN we are. It is set in the same year as the end of the Dominion war, so it could be set just after (this would fit with certain dialouge in the movie and the fact that no one mentions the ongoing war)

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Insurrection is set during the war. There's a scene where Ru'afo says the in the last two years, the Federation has been challenged by every major power in the quadrant.

4. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    That, and there's also reference made to the UFP negotiators being tied up with the Dominion, or words to that effect. (As mentioned above, Insurrection is set during DS9's seventh season, when the war was still ongoing.)

Been awhile since I've seen it, but wasn't there something about the Son'a manufacturing Ketracel White for the Jem'Hadar in the film, too?

5. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    No that was in DS9.

And cant diplomats be talking to the dominion AFTER the war? Sorting out all the red tape and massive amounts of paperwork.

Just seems strange in the middle of a war so many starfleet officers are not anywhere near the frontlines, working WITH people who are helping the dominion and NO ONE mentions the war is still going on, just references to the war in general.

Not saying im right, cause basically we'll never know. But it justs seems odd, even with star treks usual lack of self-continuity that the flagship would be off on a, well rubbish mission. Same with all the other starfleet resources being used.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The Ketracel White-connection was mentioned during the film's Troi/Riker library scene, if I remember correctly.

Also, recall too that the seventh season of DS9 was filled with a number of "quiet" stretches where the war against the Dominion clearly was no longer a top-priority concern -- by that point, the Romulans had already joined the battle, and the Founders were being largely contained to Cardassian space; thus the Enterprise-E was free to perform other diplomatic duties, as we see in the film.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Star Trek really doesn't like doing War.
    "Fire All Phasers!" usually translates as "fire the phaser on top of the saucer and the one underneath, but not the other 11." It's almost as if the effects people don't know the specs for the ship.

Then again, why couldn't the rebellion spare 2 guys to crew the turrets of the Falcon when it went to hit DSII? would certainly have made Lando's job easier if the TIEs weren't chasing him...

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I was pretty sure they "were" in fact manned...but given the relative speed and maneuvers Lando was putting the falcon through, matched with the worst possible angle to target the TIEs on the DS run (straight to the rear), those turrets were rendered pretty ineffective if not useless.

Now I'm thinking not only were they manned...the gunners are named somewhere!

So much for work today...off to the Wook!:-B

EDIT: That didn't take near as long as I feared.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the scenes of the Falcon gunner were filmed, just cut.

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, if Lucas truly wants to release a "special edition DVD" have it include a bonus disk with all the scenes that were cut from the movies. Don't give a fig about the interviews with the tech crew, producers, cast etc.

I'm guessing the reason the enterprise never uses the other phaser banks is simply a matter of time & effects budget. And they don't want to have to explain it to the audience.:rolleyes:

But seriously, what's the point of having 13 phaser banks if they never use more than 3?
    ;)

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We can only wish- Jedi had some neat cut scenes, especially from the battle. The Falcon gunner, Madine commanding his own Mon Cal cruiser, the extended Falcon-rotates-towards-the camera shot, profile shots of Wedge, etc.

As for phasers, I can only assume that every bank doens't have the same targeting field, so you can't fire them all at one point, but you can "fire all phasers" (that can target a target).

12. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    That's pretty much how its interpreted in the Trek related video games.

13. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004

I tip my hat to you sir. Well played.

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    yes, but when the ship is surrounded (as has been the case when the order was given), rather than just spin, turn, and move so you can hit a second target, just use one or the banks that is in the correct arc.

No, what if there isn't one. Rubbish!
    For the record, here are the locations: Bottom of the saucer & top of the saucer (two most used), top of the battlebridge neck (obviously only usable when saucer is separated, has been used at least once that I remember--probablly only once), Two on the back of the neck, one on the bottom of the secondary hull under the deflector dish, one on each side of the wings leading up to the warp engines, two on either side of the aft photon torpedo launcer above the wing, and two more in the same place underneath that same wing. That's 14 phasers. Only 3 are ever used.

I'm sure -E must be at least as heavily armed. And I'm just as sure that they'll never use more than 2 or maybe 3 of the ships phaser banks.

15. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    Actually the E fires all banks in Nemesis. That fight is really good, lots of phaser action that isnt just the saucer ones.

There is actually a point where every single horizontal bank fires in its arc, effectivly 'sweeping' for a cloaked ship.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that was one of the cooler tactics used in the franchise, made for a great battle.

On the brought side, at least the D & E remembered they had phasers- almost all the TOS movies (at least the ones worth watching ;) ) use torpedoes exclusively.

17. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    true...but let's think of those instances:

VI: 1)would've ruined the story progression if they couldn't find that ALL the torpedoes were on board...phasers can't be counted.;)

2) the "sniffin" torpedo...phasers, not so much.

V: would phasers have been the best way to kill the "god-creature"? Drop a torp on it. And then the Klingon disruptors get some play!

IV: Does anything get fired in IV?

III: The Enterprise was pwned...and since we all know that phasers are at the bitter mercy of the main engines (thanks "Motion Picture")...of course they'd have to settle for torpedoes. (incredibly ineffective for a direct hit at point blank range and no shields on the Bird of Prey...but oh well...point made.

II: Ah ha! The best use of phasers in the whole movie series...actually, the best combat sequences STILL! I love when Defiant just chews into the engineering hull...and when Enterprise blows up that funky atrium job on the back of defiant.

I: I think the only shots fired by Enterprise in that movie were at the asteroid in the TRON wormhole...correct me if I'm forgetting...and the reasoning for that in the plot was mentioned above, and cinematically it's obvious...cool new torpedo effect.

18. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    II) Reliant, not Defiant. :p

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    DOH!

I hate star trek.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Valid points (though I don't think you could use phasers in VI anyways- harder to fake a phase coming from another ship than a torpedo; but after the sniffer torpedo, theyt could have used phasers to take down the Bird of Prey (would have been faster too, and less likely to evade), but it still leaves the impression that they almost forgot they had phasers and just specifically tailored situations around torpedoes in the planning stages.

21. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I suppose.

phasers have always seemed kind of "second thought" weapons to me...certainly not the choice when you are trying to actually destroy something.

only once in the entire history of the franchise did I go "phasers were the necessary choice".

TNG...that episode where the crew got amnesia and that mysterious "executive officer" appears and they think they at war with some insignificant planet...they are attacked by a squadron of little runabout jobbies and they use phasers to smear them all in a single volley.

it was cool...it was mercifully expedient...and very efficient...as phaser use should be.

Otherwise...FIRE THE TORPEDOES!

22. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    I always saw phasers beign used to take shields down more than anything. As we have seen (star trek 2 for example) phasers usually just score the ship. Yes it damages but as VI showed us torps can go straight through the hull of a ship.

Take down the shields with phasers, or when the other ship is menouverable and fast, then use the torps to smash them apart.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It seems to me it should be the other way around, though- use the punch of a torpedo to smash down the shields, since they're blast is less precise to can just hit anywhere on a shield, then use the phasers to cut up the unprotected ship how you like- disable, disarm or destroy it. Plus phasers would be better for more manueverable targets since they're faster than a torpedo.

24. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    Yeah maybe my grammar wasnt clear but I meant use phasers for fast ships.

I love my commas lol

25. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    except Starship phaser are kind of sluggish...especially when put up against disruptor canons or the like.

A torpedo spread could be launched faster, with smart warheads able to reach target much faster...especially in the TNG and beyond.

And once you get to the "quantum" torps...phasers are about the most antiquated weapon left in the arsenal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.