main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Red Tails" The Next George Lucas Production

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JediHPDrummer, Mar 2, 2005.

1. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    Is it that one with the intense electronic music in the background? That's the one that put me off because it seemed like the ad didn't give any info on the film's story. It came off more like 'look at all these cool dogfights.' All the other trailers/tv spots I've seen seemed to give the film more credit than that.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Did anyone catch GL's Jon Stewart/Daily Show interview?
    Not only did it have a pretty cool clip from the film but some interesting insights.
    Lucas said that Hollywood studios wouldn't finance the project because of the all black cast. From the business point of view, studios were wary that an all black cast would not make money (especially in the foreign box office.)
    Another example of Lucas playing the rebel to the studios.

3. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    That's it. The first trailer I saw got me interested, but if that had been the first one I saw, I would not be going to see this movie. Poor choice by the marketing department.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just saw the Daily Show interview. I plan on seeing this and I have to say GL always comes across as likable. I just wish there had been a litle talk about The Phantom Menace in 3d.

5. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Just saw the interview on the Daily Show and I'm really excited to see this film. I'm a big fan of historical movies, and one by George Lucas would have to be great. The thing that surprised me most out of everything in the interview is the fact that, despite making arguably the most profitable and influential saga in film history, the industry still doesn't fully trust him. Lucas' comments about how restrictive the business can be sounded like they were lifted right out of the Empire of Dreams documentary from '04.

It's a shame he's still in an uphill battle, but it's great to know there are still people willing to fight. :cool:

6. Sinistron

Sinistron Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2010
    It was definitely an insightful interview.

Can't wait! Less than two weeks away!

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Does anyone know if or when this is getting released in Australia? There's zero about it in the mainstream press, just wondering how wide it's going to go.

8. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    This forum should really shift from Indy 4 to Red Tails. The KOTCS theme is getting old.

Anyway, very excited for this! It sort of reminds me of a theatrical Young Indy episode given that its a period piece set during a war and GL and Rick McCallum are behind it, and they have hired an outside director. Of course it looks like it'll be much better than any of the war themed Young Indy episodes.

Some folks, mainly on IMDB and Rotton Tomatoes, are giving the movie **** (despite not seeing it yet) because it is historically inacurate. Have they ever seen a war movie? They're rarely 1:1 with real events. Also, a majority of the haters cite "Hollywood" being the one to blame, despite this being a Lucasfilm production. Hardly Hollywood. I say enjoy the movie for what it is, don't try and compare every moment to what actually happened. GL said it himself, this is a movie celebrating these guys and the inspiration for the style of the film are old war movies celebrating Americans. Also, good on GL for wanting to create black heroes that aren't the usual stereotypes.

Bring on the 20th!

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    To be honest I don't bother with movie forums (other than this one of course ;) ) anymore. They are far too cynical for me. I just see a movie, find out if I like it or not and make my own mind up.

10. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    The Daily Show interview was short but great. I LOLd when George said he had a huge story and broke it up into 3 pieces and Red Tails was the first of a trilogy. He was obviously joking but Stewart laughed and followed up on if he was serious about a trilogy. [face_laugh]

Of course he was kidding........maybe. :D

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have to say also that in that interviw GL appeared healthy both mentally and physically so I am hopefull he has a good couple of decades ahead of him at least and plenty of time to bring us further entertainment.

12. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I cant wait for this movie. The dogfights alone are going to be absolutely amazing to say the least!

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Just read Lucas's comments, Re. Hollywood studios not financing "black movies!"

Anybody else think its fantastic that despite his age and his financial sucess Lucas is still raging against the Studio's? Theres something comforting about knowing that at heart George Lucas is STILL an independent movie maker.

14. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Agreed! Thats one of the reasons why I love him. Also after spending time on other sites it definitely makes me appreciate this place because sadly theforce.net might be one of the only places left on the internet where there is a community of intelligent people who openly recognize what a valuable and truly beautiful artist lucas is. At heart he will always be an independent film maker.

15. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Anybody share this 7 minute preview from the film yet?

http://www.movieweb.com/news/red-tails-seven-minute-preview

looks to be a series of scenes, don't think thats how they fit together in the final film.

16. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Why are all previews 7 minutes? Is that a magic number or something?

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Its interesting that theres still no reviews for Red Tails at rottentomatoes. Usually most films have advance screenings for critics and those that don't usually don't because the movie stinks like rotten fish - I'm getting a bit worried.[face_worried]

18. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Still a little early for reviews. You will probably start seeing some come out the first part of this week. But Red Tails has already been screened a couple of times at air shows and some other public screenings and the reaction has largely been positive.

And apparently the surviving Tuskegee Airmen approve of the film:

http://blogs.ajc.com/the-buzz/2012/01/13/atlanta-tuskegee-airmen-chapter-enjoy-red-tails-screening/

And the Alabama Crimson Tide football team took in the film before the National Championship and loved it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/10/red-tails-movie-inspires-alabama-lsu-bcs-trailer_n_1195756.html

Yancy

19. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Why would anyone even pay attention to critic reviews let alone seek them out? I HATE how people make "rottentomatoes" out to be some kind of final word on weather a movie is good or bad. I remember when x-men came out (i never saw it, just using it as an example) how shocked and disgusted i was when on the actual commercial for the movie it said "certified fresh on rottentomatoes!" as if it was some kind of selling point!?!?

I just remember thinking to myself... "is this what it has come to?" I don't need a bunch of angry geeks on the internet to tally what pretentious critics say about a movie for me in order to deiced if i want to see it or not. Just had to get that out.

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well of course Rottentomatoes and critics aren't "the be all and end all" and when Red Tails eventually makes its way to the UK I'll go see it whatever the critics say and make my mind up as I always do.

That said, this isn't Star Wars and it won't sell itself. A movie like this will only be a sucess with good word of mouth. Part of that inevitably relies on it getting good reviews, so like it or not, the critics will be important to whether this movie takes off or flops.

21. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Caught The Descendants this afternoon and a new Red Tails trailer was attached. Well, it may be an older trailer but it was one I have not seen online.

I'll admit, despite not being a Star Wars or Indiana Jones flick, seeing the trailer gave me the same trill as seeing past Lucasfilm trailers in the theater. When the trailer ended a lot of people around me made positive murmurs, and I heard one woman say "I want to see that".

22. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    I've done my fair share of complaints about rottentomatoes and other critic-roundup sites. But, there are many films I would never find or seek out if critics hadn't brought them to my attention.

Not necessarily that I'd like them(many times the opposite is true) but just that they even exist and are out there.

For many people, Red Tails is that kinda movie.

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    You could do a follow-up story with the 442nd Regimental Combat Team; you've probably heard of them-they were the most decorated unit in the European Theatre and consisted of Japanese recruited from the internment camps.

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    This is a really awesome piece on George Lucas and Red Tails.

And guess what, it looks like the "personal films" are coming.[face_dancing]

25. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    No doubt. The first review came out today with the byline "Wile visuals soar, Red Tails sputter." However if you read the review you see it's largely positive and received 3 stars. My guess is that review gets posted as Rotten.

Yancy