main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Aha, I got it! It's a joke! I get jokes. (Took me all day but who's counting?)

MistrX likes this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So, was there ever an actual final reason given why Legacy's original run was canceled? Because the only thing I remember was Randy making a post where he basically blamed fans for not buying enough copies to sustain it. But in this interview he says that stories were beginning him to continue it, which seems to indicate the opposite. Not that I actually thought low sales was the reason in the first place.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

It will be... it will be.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Well, it's possible that sales were too low to sustain that particular storyline, but high enough to wrap it up and give us War as a conclusion. Meaning they decided to increase sales by ending it, and then instead starting an entirely new storyline in the era later on, than dragging out the current one. Retooling Legacy to generate new interest. Publishers regularly do things like this with ongoing material unless there is a planned ending.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Given how War panned out, I'm sceptical there was anything planned about Legacy's end - to me, John and Jan had the carpet pulled out by the powers that be, were then left scrambling to try to enable their story to end with some dignity and were well truly done over. Why it happened in this way remains baffling to me, DHC reaped nothing but negatives from the fiasco.

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm sure they had some ideas in general - but for way down the line, and probably building off of other storylines and ideas that they no longer had time to introduce after the series cancellation was announced. So as a result it was even more truncated than simply "let's squeeze together the plots of issues #51-100 into War". At least, that's my theory.

As for Legacy's numbers, as far as I recall even near the end of its run it was still the top-selling SW comic and the second best selling DH title overall, after Buffy. I know that it's one of the only Star Wars titles I've seen sell out at my local comic shop, and I think the only one I've overheard the usual comic crowd there talking about.

Ulicus likes this.
  7. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I have no doubt they did. I can't imagine they were just going to let Hondo Karr's story dangle out there unresolved. I do wonder if they had been able to have the time, would the Mandos have been a part of the war's end.

8. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    What was the announcement?

9. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    I like to call it the New Fift-EU.

My guess: Luke is going to be written out of the series and replaced by his long-lost clone, Owen Whitesun.*

*Cookie to whoever gets it.

Ulicus likes this.
  10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If we do get an "EU 2.0" I'm not even really expecting it to be an EU, tbh, just a series of unrelated movies about these people called Jedi who use these laser sword things.

Books? Pfft. Those are so old fashioned. This is the audiovisual age! Kids don't have no time for reading; they want it in bite-size chunks of action, action and more action!!!

Which, ironically, is totally untrue, as contemporary audiences have matured a lot in recent decades, and long-running epics have actually become popular, as things like Harry Potter, LOTR and various television series demonstrate nowadays, but Disney strike me as the sort who will do a kneejerk Anti-EU reaction like the kind repeatedly illustrated on the Ep7 forum and consequently rebound in entirely the opposite direction back to standalone films and spin-offs that are designed for short-lived pulp merchandising that's only purpose is to tide things over to the next spin-off.

Just look at some of the Marvel films. For all their positive qualities, they've never made it beyond trilogies and all their original grand ideas about X-Men 4 and things like that have never really led anywhere. Even Avengers only used the earlier films in broad brushstrokes despite the teasers that were setting it up in Captain America, etc. I predict "EU 2.0" would be no more than that.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There hasn't been an actual "X4" but having 4 further films in the franchise (one of which is set post-X3, another featuring AU versions if the X-trilogy cast) is hardly "leading nowhere".

And if you don't think Marvel will do an Iron Man 4 in Phase 3 (Phase 4 at the latest), so long as RDJ is willing to return, you're nuts.

Also relevant: Marvel has done a small number of movieverse comics, so those under Disney's umbrella aren't forbidden from cross-medium storytelling.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    IIRC, Marvel has indicated that they're more than willing to recast Stark in the event that RDJ decides to move on. I would think Phase 3 at the absolute soonest, though.

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If they recast RDJ, I wouldn't expect it to be "Iron Man 4" as much as the Iron Man equivalent of The Amazing Spiderman, i.e. all but a reboot.
    You're misreading the point that I was specifically referring to how their plans to do direct sequels led nowhere, which they didn't as X4, X5 and X6 never happened, so if anyone expects "EU 2.0" to remotely resemble "EU 1.0" then they're deluding themselves, as it won't maintain continuity like EU 1.0 did, but will simply be at best loosely connected spin-offs that take the same liberties to reinterpret things that First Class and Avengers Assemble did.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Spider-Man wasn't the backbone of an entire cinematic universe.
    Not necessarily arguing, but what exactly did Avengers "reinterpret"? Aside from Bruce Banner casting, I feel like their canon's been pretty tight so far.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    And that'll stop them focusing on just making sure it's a good movie?

I don't want to sound like Mane, but I've never taken most of the audiences that go to watch most superhero movies as the sort who give a kriff about inconsistencies. :p

For instance, if they think having Stark kiss Scarlett Johnasson is going to be hotter than Gwyneth Paltrow, then I doubt they'll care much if Paltrow decides not to return and they just want to insert Black Widow without much explanation.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    By that argument, they could've just made Avengers right off. You don't have to think moviegoers are geniuses to appreciate that the shared universe is 75% of the reason that movie worked at all.

PS, I added another question for you in my last post; you may not have caught it.

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, I recall there being something about Captain Ameica's story that got retconned, though admittedly I've only sat through Captain America once myself so can't recall what the detail was exactly.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What thread am I in?

:p

I wonder if they had no idea what to make, announced they have a "huge announcement," then made notes from all the reactions/suggestions/comments, and THEN decided what to announce. :D

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Knowing Randy, he'd take our input as signs of what not to make. And he'd probably be right.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ah, I see what you are getting at. We need to be tricky to catch our prey! [face_thinking]

For the record, I think a series about Ackbar would be horrible. Like, so bad that no comic company would ever think about doing one. [face_tee_hee]

--Adm. Nick

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Should put that in my sig...

23. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Anyone else coming to the conclusion that they had a big announcement to make until Disney pulled the rug out from under them?

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Either that Or maybe they saw our reactions to the Maul book when it was announced a Maul book was coming out and wanted to avoid that? Leaning towards your choice though I had to throw mine out there.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Disney is not Every Announcement.