main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Replace Darth Vader with Boba Fett in the 1977 Star Wars film.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I like to think of the 1977 Star Wars film as a complete, stand-alone story. I basically ignore the other five SW films. While the 1977 Star Wars film has been my favorite movie for 35 years, there are some things about it that I think could be improved.

I would like it if Boba Fett replaced Darth Vader in the 1977 SW film. I think Boba Fett looks and sounds (Jason Wingreen!) even cooler than does Vader. This would strengthen and emphasize the bounty hunter role that Vader fills in the 1977 SW film.

No Vader would mean no more "dark side of the Force". Just "the Force".

Imagine Boba Fett accompanying the stormtroopers down to Tatooine to look for the droids. Imagine him almost catching up with our heroes right before they blast off from Mos Eisley. Imagine him flying the Slave I above the Death Star, almost getting Luke before Han swoops in and blows Boba Fett up.

Yes, I'm prepared to be a minority of one on this! :D

2. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    [image=http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6329/1783955-joker_not_sure_if_serious.jpg]

3. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, that's...just...um...uh...interesting.

4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    u mad bro?

inb4lock

5. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    That's just crazy talk, m8.

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn_J425eo3Q

Except that in this case, they're obviously taking the piss out of such drooling fanboy ideas.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So in your (the OP) ideal vision of SW, it is just one movie and Darth Vader does not exist? o_O

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, since I can just ban the lot of you ( :p j/k) I'll go ahead and say it's actually kind of an interesting idea. Boba fills almost EXACTLY this role in The Empire Strikes Back; Vader fills ANH's Tarkin role (albeit with his own pro-active style) and Boba is more of a henchman that provides a more immediate threat than Supreme Commander Vader-which certainly describes Vader in ANH. FWIW, a pretty fair number of quality EU stories have Boba in this role as well.

9. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    That's right.

I've long regarded Darth Vader in the 1977 film as a bounty hunter in Tarkin's personal employ. That's why Vader can both A) order people around and B) get talked back to and sneered at. If Vader were part of the chain of command, it would always be a simple "Yes, sir." Instead, Vader's authority is two-fold: 1) Precisely because he's not in the chain of command, he might just up and kill you; and 2) If Vader was crossed, it would kind of be like crossing Tarkin. I can imagine Tarkin giving an order: "I've employed this bounty hunter to find the Death Star plans because he'll do a better job of it than the rest of you. I expect you to give him your full co-operation."

So that's how I look at Vader in the original film.

Given that, it recently occurred to me how cool it would be if Boba Fett (instead of Vader) had been in the role of "bounty hunter employed by Tarkin". As I said, I think Boba Fett both looks and sounds even cooler than Darth Vader. And instead of hanging around on an Imperial cruiser or on the Death Star, I'd like to have seen Boba Fett himself go down to Tatooine to take care of business.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    No way is Vader a mere henchman in ANH. He's definitely trying to behave himself and act subservient to Tarkin, but it's obvious to even the casual viewer that the abilities Vader has make him impossible to control. He's innately better than all the other Imperials around him.

</rabid fangirl>

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I must admit this a really intriguing idea. The sneering, derisive officer on the Death Star is consistent with your ingenious thesis. Vader seems like an outside operator imbued with a modicum of official authority, akin to the Agent (Chiwetel Ejiofor) in Serenity.

Aaaaaand this is where you lose me! I'm all about Boba Fett in the original version of ESB, but good heavens man, I think you may have gone bonkers. No one looks and sounds cooler than Darth Freaking Vader, with the possible exception of Dracula. :D

12. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Vader was brought in at the behest of the Emperor, not Tarkin.

I still don't think of him as a bounty hunter, he was more of a Heinrich Himmler type figure - head of his own separate elite division and the secret police, rather than the military proper, hence the contempt the admirals and generals had for him and the dirty work he did.

Sorry, but the mystique of Boba Fett was ruined a long time ago by LFL saturating the market in response to the pre-PT fanboy obsession with the character, not to mention his less-than-stellar portrayal in AOTC and his re-dubbing in the OT as a Maori wife-beating thug. Cooler than Darth Vader, indeed.

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    ....Tem Morrison get arrested for domestic violence or something?

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    This. At his core, Vader is a predator. He is not to be tamed by anyone, including the emperor.

One of my favorite quotes why this is so is delivered by Prinz Xizor in Shadows of the Empire. He talks about how a bounty hunter is a two-bladed knife because of his independence and therefore more capable than a common stormtrooper or officer. But what he doesn't realize is that to the Empereror both himself and Vader are two-bladed knifes as well. Very dangerous and hard to control but very useful at the same time.

15. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    how about this... remove boba fett from the films entirely. since he's a waste of film. for some reason films, not fans him even though he was a total loser in the movie. i refuse to believe he escaped the sarlacc pit. and yes i know what happend in the books. just because it was said in the books dousn't mean it happend. besides do you think of the jedi prince books as canon? oh and the sarlacc burps after it digests boba.

16. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    No, but outside SW fandom, he'll be forever remembered as Jake the Muss and his immortal line, "Cook the man some @#$%ing iggs!", followed by arguably the most brutal scene of domestic violence portrayed on celluloid.

[image=http://dash.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/133091056701.jpg]

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, ok.

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm down with making Han Solo into a green alien and replacing Carrie Fisher with Joanne Whalley.

19. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Once Were Warriors. Good film.

20. FirstStarWars

FirstStarWars Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    This is a joke right

21. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003