main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL "Revenge of the Sith" Book signing - CHICAGO 4/11

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Nostradamus, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Border's - State St.
    150 North State St.
    Chicago, IL 60601

A discussion & signing by Matthew Stover, the author of the "Revenge of the Sith" novelization will be held on MONDAY, April 11, 2005 at 12:30pm.
    Seating begins at 10am in the special events area on the 3rd floor of the store.

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Will his fist and bad attitude towards the fans be there too?

3. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    .....I suppose you would have to go there to find out for sure...... :p

4. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Is this the boarders we meet at for book club?

5. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yes, it is.

6. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I would NEVER goto an even that expressly promotes this guy. He was extremely disrespectful to the costumers who were there to support him and his hackjob writing last time. He was down on the fans in general telling them, "I don't goto your kind of conventions." He is a total douche.

7. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    He did not have this attitude when a few of us met with him at Windy Con. In fact, we talked with him about him doing a signing for Errant Venture's host bookstore. He seemed extremely cool then and was talking good things about costumers.

I e-mailed the manager of Borders on State and got the ball rolling on his apprearance here. I was waiting for more information from her and from Borders' National Event Manager before posting information.

Phil

8. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Thing$ change.

Bosh

9. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm going. Whats the worst that can happen. He's a big jerk, and I go and buy some Ben & Jerrys.

10. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I am going......
    and in costume...
    so he can feel free to give me whatever cr*p he deems.....

maybe he was pms-ing last time....
    :D

I still loved "Traitor" and I liked "Shatterpoint"....so....I will try to ignore the negative and concentrate on the positive...

Ben and Jerry's....yes....I know where the store is...
    that is always a plus! And...I would like to maybe go out for eats afterward...no sense in trying to "rush" home...the traffic to the Outer Rim will be a nightmare for me..might as well wait till it dies down..

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Colleen from DelRey posted it on the tfn literature forums yesterday.
    I had been looking for info on this for the past 6 weeks.
    There are so many cool events up, getting some early warning will really help people try to schedule for these things, especially anything that happens mid-week.

12. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    "I'm going. Whats the worst that can happen. He's a big jerk, and I go and buy some Ben & Jerrys. "

And you are going to spend 20 bucks to get your book signed?

Nice.

What a bunch of sheep you all are.

13. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Ah. yes, but what if I brought my Exploding Sheep? Or, perhaps, a Battle Chicken?

14. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    lol

Exploding sheep are different...lol

What I mean is a guy can talk down to us at an even promoting him and its ok we give him a second chance because the SW logo is on his new book. C'mon WTF? PMS-ing or not he should have at least been respectful of us since we brought in about 50 more people to buy his book. You can't treat folks like that and expect them to come back yet we do because we're addicts. Gotta get your fix right?

I'm not saying we need our collective a55es kissed but just some respectful treatment. I show up out of respect for your work I expect to be treated in kind.

We're all going to buy the book. That is a given. Yes even I will buy the book. I actually really enjoyed the AOTC book much more than the movie. I will concede that he is a good writer but he is a pathetic human being IMO.

I'm sure folks said the same thing about Hemingway and other great authors as well. It does not excuse his behavior. Folks like Timothy Zhan, R A Salvator, Michael Stackpole, etc. have been always happy to see the fans and always extremely enthusiastic.

It is bad enough that when you tell people of your hobby "normal" folks start immediately looking down on you. We certainly don't need to take that from this asshat or any other celeb *cough*Anthony Daniels*cough*. Truth is they need us being fanatical about this stuff much more than we need them.

15. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    what exactly did this dude say?

and what does a fist have to do with it? other than things I cannot type here for fear of being bleeped.

16. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Here is the story.

We're all suited up for this book signing, I can't recall the book because I had zero interest in it.

Erica asked him a question about what cons he goes to because nobody was asking this guy anything. Crickets chirping and all that. There are under 10 people there so she asked. He said, "I don't goto your kind of cons. I goto professional writing cons." Erica also asked him about his other works and he said, "They are mostly NC-17. Lots of violent sex and things like that." Classy. Then he made a comment about her wearing a blaster saying, "They shouldn't let people wear those around. You know what that says to me? It says you want to fight. I'll fight with this," and he shakes his fist.

WTF dude...I was pissed as hell. We're there to help you out and you have to be a total idiot like that? Bad day or not suck it up because we got you another 20-30 books in sales with our presence. All I ask for is a miniscule amount of respect shown for us because it is our free time that we are sacrificing. We got none.

17. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I'm not going to the book signing, but that's only because I don't want to be spoiled. Other than that, I'd definitely go to this.

Based solely on reading Shatterpoint, Stover is an excellent, excellent author. That's enough for me to come and listen to what he has to say.

He may be a crummy human being. As Goat pointed out, he wouldn't be the first good author to fall into that category.

On the other hand, we also have evidence that he's a nice guy. In addition to the experience Phil had with him at WindyCon, he hangs out in the lit forum at theforce.net. Maybe he just had a bad day for whatever reason. Or maybe he thought he was joking around and being funny. I don't know since I wasn't there.

Having said that, I think Goat is competely justified in never supporting Stover in any way. I can see how his behavior would put him in the "forever unforgiven" category.

For me though, Stover doesn't have to be nice. I'll buy his book regardless, and I really don't care what he has to say about fans. I'd be much more interested in what he has to say about the craft of writing.

18. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I have to agree with Goat when he came to minneasota he was kinda soonty keep in mind certing people were kiss his booty. :)

19. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    From your description Goat, he doesn't sound like pure evil, just a huge Wang. I agree with Dan though, your totally in your rights to loathe him.

20. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    i'm still reeling that stover's name somehow made it into the same paragraph as hemingway's.

yowza!

21. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    He was really proud of his rape scenes in the other books and went on at length about the sexual violence. I loved Traitor, but I will not financially support someone who has nothing better to do than be a jerk to his bread and butter. Some random guy walked by and asked him to sign his cigarette pack and he was treated better than anyone in costume. I'll throw my money at someone else who at least pretends to like his/her fans.

22. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    agreed....
    he is a "tool"...

but...I was losing interest in NJO big time until I read his book "Traitor"...I loved it...and it gave me the "strength" to go on with the NJO....

His Clone Wars novel "Shatterpoint"...well....I liked it ...but not as much as "Traitor"

Since I know that I will buy the ROTS novelization anyway....I might as well buy one that is signed by the author...I will try to remember to bring "Traitor" along...that is one book I would like him to sign...even though it is only a paperback....

however...he will get no butt kissing....and...I will just let him sit there and listen to the crickets chirp...
    ;)

23. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Here's the press release from Borders:

Star Wars scribe Matthew Woodring Stover

Monday, April 11th @ 12:30pm

Discussion and signing for Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith

After years of civil war, the Separatists have battered the already faltering Republic nearly to the point of collapse. On Coruscant, the Senate watches anxiously as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine aggressively strips away more and more constitutional liberties in the name of safeguarding the Republic. Yoda, Mace Windu, and their fellow Masters grapple with the Chancellor's disturbing move to assume control of the Jedi Council. And Anakin Skywalker, the prophesied Chosen One, destined to bring balance to the Force, is increasingly consumed by his fear that his secret love, Senator Padmé Amidala, will die.

As the combat escalates across the galaxy, the stage is set for an explosive endgame: Obi-Wan undertakes a perilous mission to destroy the dreaded Separatist military leader General Grievous. Palpatine, eager to secure even greater control, subtly influences public opinion to turn against the Jedi. And a conflicted Anakin-tormented by unspeakable visions-edges dangerously closer to the brink of a galaxy-shaping decision. It remains only for Darth Sidious, whose shadow looms ever larger, to strike the final staggering blow against the Republic . . . and to ordain a fearsome new Sith Lord: Darth Vader.

Based on the screenplay of the eagerly anticipated final film in George Lucas's epic saga, bestselling Star Wars author Matthew Stover's novel crackles with action, captures the iconic characters in all their complexity, and brings a space opera masterpiece full circle in stunning style.

Seating will start at 10am for those customers with a purchased copy of Star Wars Ep. 3. You need not purchase the book at this location. Matthew will also sign previous works with purchase of the new book.

Phil

24. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    OK....
    who is going to this?

If we don't show some kind of support...we may not get the chance to host another author...

I'm in?

Anyone else?

Bosh...are you still on board?
    Phil?

Dan...I know that you would love to but can't get out of the school thing...

25. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    We have currently have about a half a dozen costumed members of the Midwest Garrison looking forward to being on hand for this event as well as a few more who are still finalizing their schedules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.