main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] How Spoiled Were You Going In?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mace Windy, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    Literally, here are the two things I knew going in...

General Grievous. Thanks to a kid at Wal-Mart with the Insider, I saw him and knew his name. No, I never even finished watching the AOTC cartoon because of the potential spoilers. Which reminds me... I can watch those now!

Mustafa. Darn my box of Cheez-Its for having the name on the back!! In one of those moments of "what was that?!", I did a double take thinking there was mention of the Lion King or something. So I saw the planet name. No details.

That's it. No spoilers, no trailers (except the image of the Ani/Vader helmet flash from the Epi III game commercial), no OS or Hyperspace. Nothing.

2. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    I was more spoiled than I would have like to have been, I enjoy movies so much more when I dont know everything, but I mean I like knowing the characters names and stuff and some finished shots, but not the big climax shots or the outcome of this battle or that battle, so I wish I had layed of the spoilers earlier than I did.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I feel really bad. Going in, I knew that the opera house had a staircase. It just ruined everything for me. . .

Just kidding. I stayed for the most part spoiler free (as you can tell from the above), and I really loved it.

4. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Just the trailer and some teasers. I'm glad I stayed spolier-free, I loved being surprised.

P-F

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I knew absolutely everything that was going to happen, and had seen stills from pretty much every scene. Still, seeing the finished product blew me away.

6. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    How much was I spoiled?

From the top - in no particular order. lol:

-From seeing the Clone Wars Cartoon, I knew all of the ships from the OSB
    -The Opening Crawl.
    -Anakin and Obi-Wan racing to save the Chancellor in the new Jedi Starfighters (Clone Wars Cartoon Continuity Error: was that R4-p17 in Obi-Wan's Starfighter???).
    -Dooku getting both of his hands cut off by Anakin.
    -Palpidious spoke to the Senate, looking a lot more like the Emperor from Ep. 5-6 than I had seen him look in Ep. 1-2 (I thought he was using some kind of Force trick to hide his true appearance, or something. lol)
    - Sidius has a lightsaber (Yess!!!), and knows how to use it.
    -Yoda was friends with Chewbacca.
    -There are too many things in the Trailers to think of right now - but they made Tion Meddon look as though he was an evil Separatist who captured Obi-Wan and brought him before Greivous. lol
    -Greivous had some kind of wheel-bike.
    -Obi-Wan rode around on a giant lizard.
    -I saw a pic of Padme lying on a slab-type thing, in a white dress, and just KNEW I had discovered a MAJOR plot point; which was true, except I thought it was a picture of her *after* she died, laying in state before her funeral - if I had bothered to look, instead of slapping the ROTS Calendar back on the table immediately, I would have seen that she was pregnant in the picture, so i would be *impossible* for her to be dead that that point, and that might have been *worse*! lol
    -Saw a picture of the "Tarkin" Action Figure; actually, a three-page fold-out of ALL the ROTS Action Figures, in the Insider, so I knew he'd show up, eventually, unless they decided to cut the scene(s) he was in. ;)
    -I heard a "rumor" that the Death Star would show up, at some point.
    -I heard a *false* rumor that Dath Vader was originally placed inside "The Suit" on board an Imperial Star Destroyer. lol Stupid Fanboys...

I'm sure there's a lot more, but I can't think of much else right now.

All in all, I think I was too spoiled.

I should not have allowed myself to see any of the trailers, but forcing myself not to seen them would have been impossible.

7. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    I watched the trailers, so I knew some minor things from those. The only big spoilers I knew were:

1.That Padme dies although I had no clue how and why. The only thing I knew was that there was a funeral.
    2.That Obi-Wan cuts off Anakin's legs. I really wish I hadn't found that out.\

Oh, yeah and I knew that there was a planet called Utapau but I didn't know its significance.

8. zacdilone

zacdilone Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2004
    I actually wasn't as spoiled as I thought.

I had seen a shot of Anakin and Dooku fighting in front of the Emperor in that chair, and from that I had assumed it played out exactly like "Jedi"--that towards the end of the film Anakin would have an opportunity to become Palpatine's apprentice by killing Dooku and "taking his place at my side!" as Palpatine would say.

I went in really depressed thinking I knew a big part of the end of the movie. When it turned out to be a rescue attempt and was all over 20 minutes in, I was soooo relieved.

9. Celyria

Celyria Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    I had seen the trailer, tv ads, clone wars cartoon and the music video. I managed to avoid the big spoiler in the music video (padme lying on the ground in the background during the duel) thanks to someone who kindly posted a warning on 3NS (thanks!).

I didn't know any of the 'big spoilers' so it was pretty much one surprise after another for me. I'm so glad i didn't know about Obi cutting off Anakin's legs, it was such a shock!

By the way, thanks to Garth and others who posted spoiler-free reviews, i don't think i would have stayed spoiler-free without them!

10. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
  11. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Stupid stuff I heard that I thought were spoilers:

I thought Vader would say "I don't fear the Dark Side, I *embrace* it"

AND, I thought that we'd see Anakin's Padawan; he has to have one, being a knight, after all.

Where WAS he/she/it????

Was he the kid that Bail saw being blasted by those Stormtroopers on the Jedi Temple landing?

Or did Anakin kill his own Padawan (the one with the British accent) in the cut-scene where he kills all the younglings?

12. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    Beyond the basics, (Anakin's turn, the Duel, the Birth, Palpatine=Sidous), I knew:
    - The opening scroll
    - A bad guy named Grievous
    - Chewbacca would be back
    - At some point someone would attend an opera
    - It would begin with a huge space battle (which technically, is wrong)
    - R4 would be in it, but I didn't know what she'd do. Unfortunately, she didn't last long.
    - Palpatine would for some unknown reason appear scared and disfigured.
    - I'd heard Battle of the Heroes.

That's about it.

13. drth sidious

drth sidious Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 1999
    AND, I thought that we'd see Anakin's Padawan; he has to have one, being a knight, after all.

Where WAS he/she/it????

Was he the kid that Bail saw being blasted by those Stormtroopers on the Jedi Temple landing?

Or did Anakin kill his own Padawan (the one with the British accent) in the cut-scene where he kills all the younglings?

He does not automatically have to have an apprentice, and he did not.

The Jedi is Zett Jukassa (played by Jett Lucas).

As far as spoilers I knew:
    -Anakin would kill Dooku in a ROTJ parallel
    -Chewie and Tarkin would appear
    -knew names of Utapau and Mustafar
    -GG would get shot by a blaster
    -Padme would go to Mustafar to try to bring Anakin back
    -the hints from LoE

14. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    i was more spoiled than i had wanted to be. as w/ aotc, i found it most difficult to avoid things in the last few weeks--especially having attended C:III. so, i saw trailers, tv ads, rick mccallum's spectacular, and a co-worker who's also a fan started spoiling me at work a bit after reading the time magazine article. he also had the soundtrack (which i only just bought yesterday) and told me of the track named "padme's destiny" and kept hinting that she died, then confirmed it after reading time. that had me confused, so i told him "well, how can that be if luke and leia are only just born and leia has memories of her?" and then he told me, incorrectly, that the movie went as far as the twins being a couple years old. for a long time, i wasn't sure at all whether they'd actually have luke and leia in the movie, but he spoiled that as well.

we also talked about the jedi getting killed and he mentioned something about the jedi temple "getting hit." i figured anakin would kill dooku judging by the footage i'd seen in ads and what not (although, i didn't figure he'd be killed by order of palpatine--i thought anakin would have no qualms killing him).

i knew mace windu would fight palpatine one-on-one based on the footage also, but again, didn't figure he'd die by the hands of anakin, but by the hands of palpatine.

overall, nothing was ruined for me, thankfully. i knew some things, but definitely didn't put everything together. there were quite a few twists that i wasn't expecting.

the only thing that i wish i wouldn't have seen is all the wookie footage in the commercials--since that ended up being pretty much all of the wookie stuff there was.

15. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    I wasent to spoiled going in

I knew there was
    An opining space battle
    Battle at kashyyyk
    padme dies
    Jedi tempel raid would happen

16. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I went "spoiler free" but it still seems like I knew too much. Just by watching the trailers, the commercials and posting here haha I think I was round 30-40% spoiled. O~well it was a good time!

17. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I saw the teaser, the trailer and 2 TV spots.

Some ***************** in the JCC made a spoiler trap thread stating who kills the people who die. I saw Obi-Wan kills Grievous and Anakin kills Dooku before my anti-spoiler reflexes scrolled down.

A ********** in lit who didn't black out Plo Koon's death.

I knew the Invisible Hand would be destroyed because I read Reversal of Fortune farther than I should have.

I think that's it. I got really paranoid in the last few weeks. To the point where I was scared of my cupboard and the Cheez-it's and Mountain Dew boxes it contained.

18. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    I did everything but read the novels and comics adaptations. Lapped up every leaked picture I could find, including animated GIFs of Yoda getting blasted and Obi flipping out of his fighter. Perused the toy section. Bought the soundtrack on release day. Watched all the trailers, TV spots and music video (but somehow completely missed Padmé on the ground). Read early reviews.

The worst spoilers were a shot of the crippled Anakin (glad I saw it, actually -- the final film wasn't quite as bad), a shot of Dooku at Ani's mercy, one of Obi-Wan pulling a pistol on GG and Kevin Smith's spilling of the term "Order 66" (that jerkface!). Ultimately, the only total surprise I had was the force-choke.

So yeah, I was half-spoiled but still heavily entertained. This wasn't like TPM where nearly every cool shot and surprise appeared in the trailers.

19. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    The biggest suprizes for me where anakin burning alive(never in my right mind expected that to happen), Anakin force chocking padme,Anakin choping off mace's hand then mace getting thrown out the window.

20. SabeForQueen

SabeForQueen Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    I was naive enough to not realize I was spoiled. :( It was surprising when I saw the movie and realized that incidently, quite without design, I had already been exposed to all the key elements. I can never resist costume pics and they were my downfall. Unexpected because I was easily spoiler free for the earlier episodes but it's a lot harder now I've become so hooked to the net.
    Oh, yes... the week of its premiere, I skimmed through reviews trying not to notice spoilers -- stupid, but I had to know for myself if the critics were going to let up on the PT. I mean, I'd love it if fans everywhere would let GL be redeemed. IMO, bashing is unbecoming. :)
    Anyway, the only things I DIDN'T know were:
    - Palpatine gets "aged/deformed" from his Sith power against Mace
    - Palp's former Darth master
    - Anakin turns Palp in to the Jedi
    Both were pretty cool plot points but it would have been nice to have been shocked by Obi's decapitating Ani, by the younglings slaughtered, by Ani's dreams of Padme's death, and his force-choking her. Everyone else I went to see ROTS with was tearing up w/shocked sadness and I just sat thinking, "yeah, I know". :(
    But I expect a second viewing will even me out.:)

~ May the Force be with you. Peace.

21. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    - I knew what Anakin looked like (a couple of weeks before the premiere)
    - I heard that Chewie is in it (I expected a 0.03sec cameo)
    - I had heard that there's a "new villain"
    - I saw Yoda with a lightsaber in a poster, so I guessed that he was going to fight again

That's all I know I knew in advance :)

22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I wrote a spoiler/episode III diary the last year, and I've posted it here.

The things that did surprise me the most was: the Dooku duel was so early in the film, Anakin raiding the temple, Mace fighting Palpatine and Anakin choking Padmé. In general I'm pretty satisfied with my level of spoilerness, I really couldn't put the storyline together until I saw the film, even if I knew some of the particular events.

23. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I knew Padme died, that there was a wookie and lava planet and that Nute Gunray was killed by Anakin.

24. Ness

Ness Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2004
    i knew that palpy would have a lightsaber

i knew wookies would show up

i knew mace would have a death scene

i knew about a lava terrain and the obi-ani duel

i was familiar with Grievous and some of the vehicles after seeing Clone Wars V2

25. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I didn't know much. I saw both trailers and I learned ( [face_plain] ) that Grievous would blow up and Dooku got his head chopped off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.