main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] *Official* ROTS Favorite Scenes Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    ....it IS an anguished yell, it's just that he's yelling "no".

- O_F

2. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I didn't particularly like the "NOOOO!" until the second time (although I think Vader could have better body language there, rather than that arms thrown to the side pose), but JEJ saying "Padme" was chilling from the beginning. It's just so unexpected from the Vader we know, and as said, really sells that that's Anakin under there.

I think that anyone who grew up with the OT quite naturally assumed that his first appearance would be "cool" and "bada**", as we have always known him.

I have to complain about this. Not the movie, but those people. To some people (and I'm not trying to generalize, just referring to specific people who make comments of this sort), it's like a villain can't be anything but a cool, collected badass, or he's "weak". You see it with Vader: some have said this scene is bad because it has Vader showing emotion (again, not trying to strawman and say this is the only reason people have said they don't like this scene), some have said that ROTJ "weakens" him by showing he's just an old man beneath it all. You see it with Grievous: he "sucks" because he's not the ultimate Jedi killer like in the Clone Wars cartoons. You see it with Boba: he's some people's "favorite character" and seeing him as a kid (or flirting in ROTJ) "ruins him". You see it with Maul: he's the "best villain" and "should have been in all of the prequels". You see the inverse with Dooku: he's just an "old man". A villain basically has to be cool enough for them to like.

And in icon news, I finally abandoned Rappertunie to embrace the power of the dark side.

On a lighter note and bringing it back to favorite scenes, were those the cutest babies or what? (and in saying that, I believe I've just given up any pretense at masculinity)

EDIT: Wow, I didn't even recognize my own post with the new icon.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yes. They were rather large babies though. Poor Padme.:p

4. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Not really a "favorite scene", but did anyone notice that when Anakin first gets to Mustafar before slicing up the seperatists, there are two aliens outside the door when he walks in in the background and out of focus. They look sorta like Geonosians, but they're too tall and slender. I think they may be whatever race of alien that Grievous is. They look an awful lot like him.

5. spaceace27

spaceace27 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    Well put about Vader's now infamous "NOOOOOOOOOOO". I guess people, to a certain degree, are writing this movie off because does make Anakin/Vader look like kind of a wimp (sort of). When, in reality, he is further strengthened as a character by everything we see in this movie. Once I see it again, I have little doubt that it will warrant multiple thumbs up (Grievous style).

6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I want to make sure I clarify my stance on the Vader lines in case my comments have been misinterpreted - I think his dialogue was pure genius. And Palpatine's final manipulations pure biting evil. That scene is brought down a bit by the NOOOOOOOOOO but it still might be the best scene in all of Star Wars.

Think about Vader first rising up on his platform...when we saw that in the trailer, we all probably expected it to have the Imperial March playing and some cartoonish evil feel to it. But what does Lucas do? He plays Qui-Gon's Funeral music (I think) and makes it into a poetic and horribly tragic moment that would forever change the most iconic figure ever to hit the silver screen.

Pure f'ing genius. Such balls to do that, I just love it. Anyone who doesn't love that scene is closed-minded and short-sighted.

7. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    I definitely don't have any problem with the 'humanizing' of Vader. In fact, I think his concern for Padme and his struggle out of the tray thingy are true to character and feel REAL.

My problem with the NOOOOOOOOOOO is that it just feels campy. I remember doing a creative writing workshop where one writer decided to have her character scream NOOOOOOOOOOO (with lots of exclamation points) after a dramatic scene. It killed it for me reading it because it's just so cliche, like a pick out of the "overblown drama" stock. Same thing I felt here. Maybe if he did yelled it while things were exploding around him, the juxtaposed imagery would have made it better, but for GL to frame it and isolate it the way he did just lost it for me.

8. spaceace27

Feb 16, 2004
    Anakin! Anakin! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Like that?
    (And now that I think about it Garth, that is an awesome scene, and it fits the character perfectly).

9. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I like the "Nooooo!"
    as someone else asked:
    (my question to all bashers of that scene)
    what would you say?
    and better yet - how would you say it?

Because, of course, if you had just slaughtered your former comrades, killed your wife, fought your best friend, lost your arm and legs, and had been made into a freakish machine -

I'm sure you'd all scream something way cooler.

Right?

right.

10. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I have to say, my jaw dropped when they first showed the opening space battle. As soon as the camera first panned past the Star Destroyer and showed all hell breaking loose, it was amazing and I was blown away.

11. CoolHanLuke

CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    When Obi-wan dropped in on Grievous at Utapau and said, "Hello there!"

That grin by Ewan McGregor when he said that gets me everytime. [face_laugh]

12. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    arrowheadpodracer, it's not so much the line as it is the way it is presented. Something about it just seems a little too over the top. Like I said earlier, I think it would have been done better if the scream came as things were exploding.

And spaceace...I own Sharks season tickets, so May 19th 2004 was BAD for me even though it was good for you! I suppose I should have done a Vader-esque "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" after that game. ;)

13. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Another instance where there is a key scene to the whole saga that is followed by a pseudo-campy response from a character:

"No, I am your father!"

"That's not true, that's IMPOSSIBLE!!" (contorts face)

"Search your feelings, you know it be true."

"NOOOOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" (further contortions)

I have seen this scene so many times that I don't even think twice about it. I'm sure the Vader NOOOOO!!!! will grow on us...it has improved for me on the second and third viewing.

14. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    "I have to complain about this. Not the movie, but those people. To some people (and I'm not trying to generalize, just referring to specific people who make comments of this sort), it's like a villain can't be anything but a cool, collected badass, or he's "weak". You see it with Vader: some have said this scene is bad because it has Vader showing emotion (again, not trying to strawman and say this is the only reason people have said they don't like this scene), some have said that ROTJ "weakens" him by showing he's just an old man beneath it all. You see it with Grievous: he "sucks" because he's not the ultimate Jedi killer like in the Clone Wars cartoons. You see it with Boba: he's some people's "favorite character" and seeing him as a kid (or flirting in ROTJ) "ruins him". You see it with Maul: he's the "best villain" and "should have been in all of the prequels". You see the inverse with Dooku: he's just an "old man". A villain basically has to be cool enough for them to like."

[image=http://triviana.com/enttriv/farley1.jpg]

And my favorite scene was the dialogue after the duel. No contest there.

"I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you." So powerful.

The one thing I don't understand is, why did Palpatine lie to Vader and say he killed Padme?

First of all, how does Palps know that Vader choked her? And how does he know she's dead?

Finally, WHY lie to Vader? Palps never does anything without purpose, so what purpose did this serve him?

15. Celyria

Celyria Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    I actually quite like the NOOOOO scene. I didn't have any problem with Vader being disorientated and distraught, given that he'd just had his remaining limbs chopped off by his best friend and had almost been burned to death, only to hear that in his rage he killed the very person he made all his sacrifices for.

I think palps purpose in telling Vader that he'd killed Padme, was to extinguish any hope he had left, and to turn him fully to the dark side. Everything Anakin did he did for Padme (or at least that's what he convinced himself), Palps thought that by telling Anakin he'd killed her, he'd destroy any remaining trace of Anakin, leaving only Vader.

16. Blyte_the_Noghri

Blyte_the_Noghri Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    Palps tells Anakin that he killed Padme for several reasons I think. Anakin has told Palps she will die via visions he has had, so it is something he would believe. It totally breaks Anakin of all ties with the past and breaks him emotionally. Padme was the one person (until he learns of his children) that is closer to him than Palps. With her gone, Palps is secure that he will not choose her over him. I do think it was a risk he was taking, if Padme shows up again he would have to do some quick thinking. But he would probably say that Obi-Wan said she died and it is more Jedi lies, etc. When she is buried on Naboo, I am sure Palps sighed a huge sigh of relief.

17. spaceace27

Feb 16, 2004
    And spaceace...I own Sharks season tickets, so May 19th 2004 was BAD for me even though it was good for you! I suppose I should have done a Vader-esque "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" after that game.
    Yeah, but we ended a 10 year Canadian Cup final drought and we were in SIXTH! (Not to get off topic)

18. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    Finally, WHY lie to Vader? Palps never does anything without purpose, so what purpose did this serve him?

I have been operating under the assumption that he did it to make Anakin angry. Rage makes him stronger in (and more dominated by) the dark side.

In Dark Rendezvous, there is a strong implication that a big part of the Sith master-apprentice relationship is humiliation of the latter by the former, and I gather that the point is to make the student angry and bring out his or her powers. I had just began reading that book last week, so it was fresh in my mind when I first saw Palpatine's lie. It makes sense--a Jedi Master encourages a padawan to get in touch with peaceful inner feelings to gain focus, so a Sith master might well do things to bring out anger and hatred.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    "I believe that you were once Anakin Skywalker."

"That name no longer has any meaning for me."

"The Son of Skywalker" - not - "your son".

Vader no longer associates himself with Anakin Skywalker, and I think Palpatine's lie helps that.:(

20. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    A little humor, this is a new take on the "Where is Padme?" scene. If Vader only knew the truth!

http://padme.ytmnd.com/

21. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002

I thought that was the cruelest part of the film. He did it to make Anakin hate himself. To make Anakin feel that he can never be redeemed. So that Anakin will never feel good and pure and hopeful again. To lay a lifetime of guilt and shame on his shoulders. To ensure that he will forever be a servant of the Dark Side.

22. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    Continuing Stormcloud's thoughts, I think this is the point where Anakin truly dies and Vader begins. Once he's let go of his attachment to Padme, the dark side finally consumes him.

23. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    The Bail arriving at the Jedi Temple and being told to leave is one of my favourite scenes. Or perhaps, it's my favourite scene that doesn't feature the main characters of this movie.

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    WELL, having JUST seen ROTS (FINALLY,) I have MANY favorite scenes!

I would really describe my favorites as more "the scenes that effected me the most.":

-The magnificence of the opening battle scene!
    -Anakin killing Dooku with Palpatine egging him on.
    -Anakin killing the younglings, and the clonetroopers killing all the Jedi.
    -Sidious Fighting-Mace Windu, Yoda, etc.
    -The birth of Luke and Leia-and Padme naming them.
    -Obi-Wan giving Luke to Owen and Beru. Perfectly done...

I will be honest, there were a few things I was surprised by-for example, I assumed Kashyyyk and the Wookiees would have a bigger role, how Alderaan looked, only TALKING about Qui-gonn, rather than seeing him, Anakin NOT using force lightning, AND I don't remember ever seeing Mon Mothma!!!!...but NONE of these things really RUINED anything for me-when I think about it, they all make sense! Plus, I'm sure if I just saw it again, it can all get a chance to sink in...

Also I was surprised at how lighthearted the dialogue was at the beginning! I noticed it flowed well, and revives some of the humorous atmosphere of the OT episodes...

There were SO many great things in the movie, moments that ALMOST had me in tears, that left my mouth hanging wide open, thinking, "NO WAY!!" As I predicted, not only my favorite SW Episode, but
    also my Favorite movie of ALL TIME!!! From now on, I will view Darth Vader, and ALL the episodes, differently-ALL AS ONE COMPLETE SAGA!!!

Having said all this, this is officially my LAST POST...Ever since I started participating on this web forum, I realized that once I actually SAW Ep. III, there would really be no more need for me to go on here. Normally, I would walk out of the theatre saying "I cant WAIT to see the NEXT one!" Well, there IS NO "next one." this is it. The Saga is Complete!!
    And although I will always LOVE Star Wars, it is time for me to move on...Don't get me wrong, I will still check back on here from time to time, only not post on these forums regularly... cos after all, there will be the ROTS DVD release, possibly info on the TV series and the 3D releases, and eventually-the (as I call it) "STAR WARS HEXOLOGY." It has been a great adventure disscussing and speculating with all of you, and I will miss the days of wondering "how many minutes Darth Vader will have onscreen" and "how does obi-wan get Anakin's lightsaber?"

Until future releases bring us back together, farewell, and may the Force be with you ALL!!!! :)

Darth_Belo

25. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    An utterly awesome shot that blows me away every time:

During the Duel, as Anakin and Obi-Wan move out onto the arm of the lava platform, there's this part where they attack each other, and right as the blades hit the music swells and an eruption of lava just explodes in the background. It's perfectly timed, nicely symbolic of the clash going on, and just comes off very well.

A few other favorite shots/musical bits/smaller things:

The pan down on Felucia. The combination of the sad music, the look of the planet, and this yellow, hazy, almost dream-like atmosphere give it literally a magical feel, like something out of a legend.

The chorus of "Duel of the Fates" kicking in right as Yoda leaps up onto the platform in the Senate.

That little musical flourish in the opera scene when Palpatine says "to create life itself". I could fill a whole thread with Ian McDiarmid parts, but the facial expressions he makes in that scene are great too, as if he's savoring the memory of killing his master.

The swelling of Yoda's theme as he leaves Kashyyyk. It might even rival the rendition when Yoda lifts the X-Wing in ESB (the other best use of that theme).

The Force theme has always been my favorite, and it really gets its time to shine here. A particular favorite is when Obi-Wan takes off from the cruiser for Utapau.

That fact that even as Obi-Wan and Anakin are scrambling up the collector arm away from the lava, they're still slashing away at each other.

Yoda's heroic pose with the lightsaber after wiping out clones in front of the Temple.

Grievous' evil villain schtick. Rubbing his hands and cackling as he launches the escape pod (he even does his own narration!) and laughing as he advances on Obi-Wan on Utapau are the two most memorable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.