main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I've got an idea. Below is more of an introduction to the concept than an opening post.

[u][b]Chessboard: The Laws of Power[/b][/u]

The year is 1,400 BBY. The galaxy is being torn apart by the New Sith Wars, a conflict more devastating and brutal than any that has come before.

On battlefield after battlefield across the stars, Jedi Generals lock horns with Sith Lords, with entire worlds and civilisations at stake.

More than fifty years ago, the Sith horde seized the planet of Mizra in one of their most famous victories. But the Sith hold over the world has grown slack, as the dark empire seeks to expand its borders even further. Mizra has been left to rot, and has become vulnerable to attack.

Now the Jedi have arrived to take it back.

[hr]

This game is essentially about two of you guys playing chess against each other, and writing an RP representation of the match.

One player will be the Sith general, the other will be the Jedi general.

The chess pieces will symbolize these characters/units:

[u]Black[/u]
    King- The Sith General
    Queen- Sith Lords
    Knights- Squadrons of Sith interceptors
    Bishops- Sith Assassins
    Rooks- Sith Marauders
    Pawns- Ubese Mercenaries

[u]White[/u]
    King- The Jedi General
    Queen- Jedi Masters
    Knights- Squadrons of Jedi starfighters
    Bishops- Jedi Scouts
    Rooks- Jedi Shadows
    Pawns- Republic Infantry

The board itself will be split into zones:

Rows 1-2 will be the Jedi encampment
    Rows 3-4 will be a series of canyons
    Rows 5-6 will be a city
    Rows 7-8 will be the Sith fortress

When I actually do the opening post, I will post an image of a chessboard with these zones marked out.

[hr]

So...how it all works.

Posting in this game will follow a strict order.

I will write a GM post with an image of the chessboard.

The Jedi general will post his move (for example, he may begin by moving the E2 pawn to E4). Accompanying the chess move, he will write an IC post in which the general makes his tactical decision (in this case, the general gives orders for his Fifth Infantry Squad to be deployed into battlefield zone E4, in the canyons)

I will then write a GM post with an image of the updated chessboard, and a scene where a lackey informs the Sith general of the opponent?s ?move?.

The Sith general then posts his move, with an accompanying IC post. For example, he may move his B8 Knight to C6. In this case, the IC post would consist of him giving orders to sent out Sith Interceptor squadrons to battlefield zone C6, in the city.

I then write a GM post with an image of the updated chessboard, and a scene where a lackey informs the Jedi general of his opponent?s 'move'. And so on.

And we continue in this fashion. Jedi Post/White move followed by GM Post followed by Sith Post/Black move.

There will be no IC views of the battlefield itself. [b]All[/b] the IC action will take place in the two Generals? respective tents, with the battle being seen through their eyes.

[hr]

Obviously I will need two players who know how to play chess. [b]They don't need to be any good at it.[/b] In fact, it they make lots of mistakes that will only add to the drama of the RP. They just need to know the basics of the game.

As the battle progresses, we will come to know these two opposing characters in considerable depth. The RP side is not simply 'move these units here please TAG: GM'. It will be about exploring the way in which strategists think, the way in which they deal with sending troops into danger, how they handle moral dilemmas and pressure from advisors and advice from superiors, as well as fighting an escalating psychological battle with their opposite in the enemy camp.

It will be a study of power, of tactics, of generalship, of chess, and of a Sith and a Jedi at war.
    [hr]

So...any thoughts? I think it's an interesting concept for a small two player game.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, I would say my biggest concern would be that one of the RPFers is, secretly, a chess grandmaster waiting for someone to finally slip up...[face_worried]

But it's a cool concept, and a rather nice take on strategy roleplaying. Not to mention there's no new rules to learn.

3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    It is a good concept. Very innovative. (Iactually wait for a concept by Winged of which I do not have to say that :D). The only problem would be, that you need to equally strong players. Roughly equal at least. For an experienced chess-player dominates a less experienced one. A friend of mine is pretty good in this and I have yet to win a game against him, after 8 years of trying. Then again it can take quite some time to end a game if you do one move a week.

And I would make it flashy command stations, instead of tents, Winged ;)

4. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll take your advice on the flashy command posts, Fin ;)

As for player strength...I don't think it actually matters. The game isn't about who wins the chess match. It's about the reactions and characters of the generals.

If the game is even we will see a tense, tight, psychological battle. And if it is uneven, we will see a portrait of a relentless conqueror and a desperate defender. Either way, we would have an enjoyable study of the two individuals. I think.

An alternative is to have the moves predetermined. The players would not decide anything themselves. They would play according to the moves of a famous chess match. I will not tell them which match we are playing out, and I will PM each player their next move in advance. This allows me control in knowing what will happen next and how long the match will take...but it does take a lot of freedom away from the players.

Incidentally, for anyone who is interested in [b]Man Cubs[/b], I can confirm that once we begin Chapter Three, there will be at least two slots open for new players.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'd play it.

I'd play it.

I'd play it.

I'd play it.

I've been debating a Chess-type RPG for... years? Longer than I've been born. I'd play it.

Though preferably as an actual game of chess, of course. But dang interesting. Dang, I say.

To Man Cubs... I believe I was on the reserve list, yes? [face_peace]

How will Fates work for new characters, though?

6. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    I had a feeling you might be interested in that one, Sinre.

As for Man Cubs, you are indeed on the Reserve List. Like I said, I'll be picking two people at random, though it may be three now I think about it...

Fates will work in much the same way as they do for the central group. You will be given one, and they will be intertwined with the other new Fates. They will also overlap with some of the existing Man Cub Fates.

7. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Having Fin and Sinre play intergalactic chess would be awesome. I´d lurk. I´d stop RPing to lurk :D And I got the feeling they are both pretty good at it. [face_laugh] Sorry had to paste my fangirl dreams into it.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm not too bad, I suppose. Good enough to beat Fin? Gosh I don't know. :D

Winged, thanks for the information. And for making me excited all over again. [face_blush]

9. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I am a skilled amateur, I´d say. LordT is a true master, for example. Playing tournament and everything. And I´ve never beaten him, ever. [face_blush]But as I already stated in a PM. I´d be in. In anything Winged does, as a matter of fact.

10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Either way...

Winged, you have two very eager Chess players. [face_laugh]

11. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Fixed it. [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

12. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I'd watch this, too. :D I know nothing about chess beyond what the pieces do, but the game is fascinating.

13. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Alright! I don't have much time right now, but I'm popping in very quickly to say:

It's on.

I'll put the game up tomorrow and we can get started.

Of course, this is all somewhat experimental. Hopefully if this is a success we can develop the concept, maybe have multiple matches in one RPG, or have other players RPing as the 'pieces'. But for the first try we'll keep it simple. Fin v Sinre, Jedi v Sith. I'm looking forward to it.

14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    If the game proves its concept, multiple matches can serve as separate battle-fronts.

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Winged, do you want a CS? :p

16. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I cannot wait to see, and...

I'ld do it to!
    I'ld do it to!
    I'ld do it to!

Hrmph, on another note this should be most fun to watch and if it is a success...1...2...3...Success It Is! Then you could have it escalate that the winners of a couple matches could face off on a 3D chess battle field, one have the high ground and another the low with the moveable platforms being the respective sides floating garisons or troop barges that are restricted to friendly territory.

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    blockquote]A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

[image=http://starwars.intodit.com/uploads/page_images/0000/0094/694px-star_wars_logosvg.png]

AS FATHER AND SON
    Part II
    Friends and Enemies

It has been six months since the near destruction of the Rebel fleet and the fracas at Polis Massa. Darth Vader? now known to the galaxy as EMPEROR ANAKIN SKYWALKER ? and his apprentice, DARTH LIBRIUM ? formerly Luke Skywalker ? have been at work winning support for their regime and quelling resistance. As Alliance bases fall to Librium?s forces, ARBRA base begins to prepare for its evacuation, even as many worlds, organizations, and even individuals pour support and resources into the floundering movement, helping it to stay on its feet.

HAN SOLO has been assigned to travel to NAR SHADAA to foment support from the fringe and the underworld, sectors of society traditionally unfriendly to the Empire. PRINCESS LEIA has elected to go with him, acting on a vision she has had in the Force. This means that her oldest friend and aide, WINTER RETRAC, has gone to MANDALORE in her place - aboard the MOLDY CROW - to open up further negotiations with resistance leader Fenn Shysa.

Meanwhile, the Corellian Run is abuzz with activity, as a mysterious group of DARK JEDI convene on FALLEEN. Meanwhile, the remains of the Rebel Fleet, under the command of ADMIRAL ACKBAR, gears up for an attack on the planet KAMINO?
    [/blockquote]

18. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    Well I'm going to remind everyone of my Ragnarök: Flight of the Aesir

This is of course HEAVILY influenced by the Space Opera, Battlestar Galactica the 2003 series , and anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion, Space Runaway Ideon, Mobile Suit Gundam, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and RahXephon with a touch of Norse mythology.

The entire point of this game is to have large Mecha battles, without breaking down into simple "my kung fu is better than yours" traits. The state of the fleet as despair descends on them is a big deal. What they need to do to surivie is a big deal.

19. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Half way through my game and I am thinking about a follow up thing . . . which might be my last bow to this board as a GM. And someone pointed out, we have two wars that shaped the galaxy forever and both are still untold . . . what would you, ladies and gentlemen think about a New Sith War game? Or even the Hundred Year Darkness? Seeing Dark Jedi unleash hideous monstrosities . . . has something to it, I must say.

20. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    Well, Fin. there seems to be little interest :p Then don´t waste them! I´d say. You obviously could always . . . you know how this sentence ends :D

21. Zadann_MaRanna

Zadann_MaRanna Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2009
    Well my idea is here

Imput would be well appreciated.

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Just saying.

D U N E is back...

23. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
  24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    My challenge:

Someone effectively design a flagship Primal Rage RP for the NSWRPF.

Go.

25. Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria Jedi Knight

Dec 4, 2007
    Rule #1: Instead of 'Tag' you have to say 'RAGE!!'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.