main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rpg in the Forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ben_Skywalker, Aug 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    i dont really like the council idea...maybe we can have an RP Senate? it could be the voice of the Community to the Admins. and it could solve disputes any threads might have. two purposes. actually credit for this idea goes to FID :)

2. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    btw nathan, since you brought up the question. will the RP forum be in an entirely different board or will it go under fan activities or something else entirely?

I was planning on putting it in "Fan Activities" after "Fan Fiction Stories", "Fan Fiction Writers' Resource", "Fan Art", "Fan Films", "Costuming and Props", and "Scifi 3D Forum". How's that?

once this board becomes active I think we need someone to take charge... not necessarily an Admin or Mod, but someone to keep an eye on all of the RPG's to give the threads some common direction...that is if you want to bring back the old days

That was what I had in mind for Ben_Skywalker's role in this new board.

I believe all that's required now is for us to get a moderator for that forum. I'll start the discussion in Mod Squad now. :)

3. Master_JoshuaWindu

Master_JoshuaWindu Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2001
    the forum is ours?

Nathan, i love you man.....

:p

4. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    Thanks a lot man :D

and thank you Ben, for it is you who made this possible :)

5. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Nobody has really discussed the rules of the forum in any great depth yet, only the structure of it.

Does anyone have anything to discuss or add to the set of rules (summarised from this thread and Ben_Skywalker's set) on the last page?

6. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    LA, if not for EVERYONE, this wouldnt be possible :)

i agree with DA, if anyone else has any comments about the rules or whatnot, please speak up :)

7. Master_Ben

Master_Ben Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2001
    I would like it if there was a rule that stopped inappropiate behavior in any given RPG. Sexual things are sometimes referred to and this may be offensive to some players who don't believe in such behavior. So I think that a rule such as this should be enforce as much as possible to make role playing a pleasent experienced.

8. Master_JoshuaWindu

Apr 21, 2001
    the several sets of rules given pertained to that my friend

"no lewd content"

generally, though, people know not to do anything of the sort. They will know to keep it clean

9. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    I truthfully cant think of any thing else rule wise that has not already been adressed or brought up.

one of the important things i think needs to be watched in the new board is bassically people creating RPGS that hae already been started and those who start conflicts.

But i'm very confident Ben_skywalker can handle anything that happens, or comes up :)

10. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Thank you Nate, thank you Ben, this is great, and I'm really looking forward to it!

I think that DarthAttorney's rules are reasonable, and other than the point about not taking a repeat character (it might be that hardly anyone else wants that character, so if someone's really good at doing that character and takes it first, why not?), I think they will do well.

About that point for discussion - what if your character is original (i.e. not from anywhere in SW), and you want to use it in more than one place?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Yeah, I see your point.

I imagine it would only come up when two people want to use the same character for a particular scenario. In which case, precedence should be given to the user who hasn't used that character before, I think. :)

And in the case of your original character, I would think that you own that character and of course have first rights to use it where you want to (LFL and Games Masters allowing ;) )

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    LFL allowing? Naw, all you have to do in the first post is...

" This RP is not affiliated with LFL.... this character is copyright LFL... blah blah"

Just some disclaimers. After all, what if Lucas posts here is disguise?

Though the use of main SW characters in a RP post in major, when the character isn't yours. That should be up to GM approval.

13. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    How close are we to having this RPG forum up and running? The site where we were having the Empire vs. Rebel vs. Vong RP has crashed.

14. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    It was a joke, GAJ ;)

I'd like to talk a little bit more about redundancy too. We had a situation in EUC about a 2 months ago where a huge number of marginally different Jedi groups were started simply for the sake "being a Jedi".

I understand that people will want to start their own groups to RP with but in terms of RPG (and with the rules of the JC in mind), when does too much of the same thing become repetitive and redundant? :)

15. Master_JoshuaWindu

Apr 21, 2001
    i know what you mean, i think, that a mod, in the new forum should cut down on redundancy

i mean, its a new forum, we have to keep it clean. Keeping a Jedi clan thread, for the sake of being a Jedi is ok, but just ONE thread. Same for Sith, and Empire, Vong, and so on. Then, there isnt a clutter of them in the new forum. Keep your clan matters in one thread.

And, a mod should keep an eye on those threads.

16. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    Yeah I reckon one of each type is quite reasonable :)

17. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    yeah, keeping it clean is one of the bigger things that will have to be done. That and making sure people are not breaking any board rules.

18. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    With people playing fair it'll be to a certain extent on the level of game in the thread, although obviously people who beyond the line will get the rebuke they deserve from the gm.

As for keeping it clean it'll be one of the harder tasks to keep track of, until everyone learns how not to act.

The only hard thing about any in character stuff will the fights, they will either work superbly or crash to the ground

19. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Quote:
    "How close are we to having this RPG forum up and running? The site where we were having the Empire vs. Rebel vs. Vong RP has crashed." --Fluke_Groundwalker

We still have to get a moderator. Maybe in a couple of days? ?[face_plain]

20. Epyon-X

Epyon-X Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2001
    I haven't checked up for a while on this thread, and I'm glad about the progress everyone's made towards getting the RPG board. Can't wait to see the outcome. :)

21. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    well, at least now we know the RP forum is coming soon :)

22. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Wow! I just can't wait!!! Ben, you da man! ..umm, you are a man, right?

23. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Would we have to make a "sock" for our character with it's stats in our signature so that everyone could see? I think it's a good idea. Also in the bio part you could put like your equipment and skills and feats and stuff. We are using D20 system, right?

24. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    I think that depends on the thread, some folks will just want to have fun, others will want to use d20, others again will want to use weg rules. It all depends on who runs the thread and what rules the folks in it want to use.

25. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    d20 and weg rules...

anyone feel like enlightening me?

:)

I like MoronDude's idea about having a sock because it would eliminate the chance for people to pull out a weapons or piece of equipment that they are not supposed to have.
    Plus it lets everyone else who's playing learn a bit about your character without having to ask around or read over previous pages in the threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.