main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sands of Arrakis: The Works of Frank Herbert

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  2. jadenkorr81

jadenkorr81 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2006
    I've only read the first two dune novels so far and i'm about to start on the third one. I think that it is an amazing series so far.

3. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Cool. Keep reading..

4. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    yes, keep reading. I am in the middle of Heretics of Dune right now. I wish I had more free time to read, I really want to see what happens next in this story. And then on to Chapterhouse!

5. jadenkorr81

Dec 11, 2006
    Awesome. I'll definitely keep reading. I've heard that the God Emperor of Dune is pretty bizzare, but since I like bizzare stuff sometimes, i'll like it.:)

6. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Jul 4, 2003
    Jaden, I have heard that too. A lot of people have negative things to say about GEOD but it is my favorite out of all the Dune books so far

Maybe I am just bizarre 8-}

7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    God Emp of Dune isn't for everyone, but if you truly enjoy the series, you have to read it at least once. Just be patient with it. After that, then there are two more Frank Herbert Dune novels left.

Then I'll leave the decsion to ya'll, if you want to read the rest of the dune novels. I like them, but they have a different feel to them.:)

8. jadenkorr81

Dec 11, 2006
    Cool. I'll keep all of that in mind.:)

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'll keep that in mind as well, rumsmuggler and jadenkorr;)

10. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    that's good..:p

11. Lord_Dagoth

Lord_Dagoth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2006

I kinda liked God-Emp

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I liked it alot. you have good taste, but bad name choosing. I chose first, and you stole my theme!!!

13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  14. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Does anyone else feel that the portrayal of Baron Harkonnen was, kind of, oh I dunno, extraordinarily homophobic?

Granted, this was the 60's, but I mean, its almost like FH was thinking, "Okay, he's fat and ugly...how else can I make him evil? Lets make him GAY!"

That to me is the only blemish on the Dune books. Otherwise they are hard to get through, but rewarding, and in their great moments they are the greatest.

15. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Sorry for the Double Post:

1. Over the weekend I purchased House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino and I am enjoying them so far. They aren't bad, they have a different tone, and the style is maybe a tad bland, but they capture something of Dune, and they are clearly done with love.

I don't understand all the trashing.

2. The main flaw that I see with the Dune series is the characters. The Atreides have always been unlikeable Mary Sues to me (I mean the Atreides from the original novel). I always end up cheering for the Harkonnens.

All of the Fremen are bland. The entire Dune series suffers from weak characterization IMHO, except for maybe Baron Harkonnen and Emperor Shaddam. Harkonnen is a delight, and Shaddam in his brief cameo feels like a real flesh and blood person, moreso than any of the Mary-Sueish lead characters.

Some of Herbert's writing seems a little too masturbatory.

16. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Billy Bob,
    them's fighting words. Dune is the best series i have ever read. sure after children of dune it gets strange but that is sci fi for ya. i am reading the foundation series by asimov and i dont understand all the hoo hah over it. i am so sick of seldon. i guess reading is just subjective.

17. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I just started reading God Emperor of Dune, and it is actually fantastic.

I think the weakest Dune book so far is Children of Dune. I had to struggle to get through it, and I defy ANYONE to make sense of that book.

I loved the original Dune, Dune Messiah, and so far God Emperor. Children of Dune, I think, was too weird and experimental.

18. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    oh just wait until you get to heretics and chapterhouse. the first time i read them i swore herbert had to be on drugs. i dont think that anymore. i worship at the altar of the herbert. i loved god emperor too. i love the idea of leto after years of being a worm. leto is my favorite character anyway next to paul.

just for the record, i finished second foundation and decided i really like the foundation series. i am glad i made myself get thru book 2/3 to get to 4. now i am searching for prelude.

19. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I have no problems with Baron Harkonnen being gay. It adds something unique to his character, but I didn't really see it as homophobic.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The cover for Sandworms of Dune has been released, as has its release date: August 2007here

21. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Eh, well, it's pretty well-known that Herbert indulged in some rather potent hash throughout the writing process. It's not exactly the most mind-altering of drugs, nor does it lend itself too well to novel writing. Anyway, being on drugs while doing something doesn't inherently make that thing bad or lesser in any way, it just means that the person was on drugs while they did that thing (whatever it may be). Goodness gracious, drug users are more vilified today than any dark-skinned minority group ever was in American history.

22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

There's nothing wrong with a little hashish from time to time, imo..

Cool covers..

23. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Jul 4, 2003
    Just finished Heretics And started Chapterhouse last night. I am so glad I picked up Heretics after giving up on it as too complex of a plot at the time. Herbert did an amazing job of tieing all of the plot threads together at the end. I could see them coming together about halfway through the book. I would have liked to see more time spent on describing the revelation of what the axlotl tanks really were, I felt he rushed through that a bit too fast. But all in all, I was really pleased with this book in the Dune series

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Heretics was my fav book in the series along with Children of Dune. I really like Miles Teg! However it has been 5 yrs now since I read the books (Except for recently reading Hunters of Dune)that I have forgotton most of the books storylines.

25. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Jul 4, 2003
    Solo, Miles Teg was awesome. I love how he became the whirlwind near the end, though I hated his fate at the end of Heretics. Have you read Chapterhouse, I am only on the first chapter, but there are some developments related to Teg, that I don?t want to give away for those who have not read it yet, but so far, yea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.