main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Satan Worship in Prison?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SaberGiiett7, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    If it doesnt affect their studies why should it bother you? they are not trying to convert you.

Because they're getting a break from classes that other students are not getting.

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Sleazo the problem has to be taken one religion at a time. The requirements for muslims is reasonable. But it is possible to make unreasonable requests. 10 minutes of every hour would be a good example.

3. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    When I was in high school the prayer times were during lunch and after ninth period. Even if they werent prayers dont really take that long.
    As i was saying, amokers get breaks that non smokers dont get, its not fair to the non smokers, but get over it.
    I dont smoke or pray, but as a slacker i can appreciate those who do just for the basic principle of slacking. just joking. well actually i have pretended to be jewish to get out of work

Seriously, a public school should not prevent someone from praying to their respective deity.

Rebecca-- is it right for jews to get off for their holidays when non jews do not?

4. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    When I was in high school the prayer times were during lunch and after ninth period. Even if they werent prayers dont really take that long.
    As i was saying, amokers get breaks that non smokers dont get, its not fair to the non smokers, but get over it.
    I dont smoke or pray, but as a slacker i can appreciate those who do just for the basic principle of slacking. just joking. well actually i have pretended to be jewish to get out of work

Seriously, a public school should not prevent someone from praying to their respective deity.

Rebecca-- is it right for jews to get off for their holidays when non jews do not?

1. I don't think smokers should be given breaks to smoke. They can smoke before or after work.

2. They shouldn't make it allowed, either, if it means a certain group of kids get to skip part of class every day.

3. Simply give the holiday off to everyone.

5. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    well smokers are not given a official break to go have a fag, but it is an unwritten rule. And frankly i would rather have them go out then smoke in the office. You have never smoked probably, neither have i, so we cant begin to understand the craving for a ciggarette when one is addicted to it.

And if the everybody gets off for the jewish holidays, then i guess we can take off for every other religions holidays like Zoroastrianism, ****oism, Hinduism, etc..
    Pretty soon we'd have the whole year off.(or not since pretty much all holidays are based on older religions celebrating the change of seasons, but that is besides the point)
    So you see, we simply cannot just make holidays for every religous group.

6. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    If a kid chooses to pray on his own or has certain religious practices which require him to leave the room (much as a student with a physical disability might get a doctor's slip to avoid having to take Phys. Ed...) that's one thing... but if the school gets involved actively in any way (e.g. a school official leading the prayer or "open prayer session"...), that's not legal nor should it be.

If a student misses a portion of class because they elected to go worship god for a few minutes... that is their gain or loss, not mine to worry about... especially if they are still required to meet all the study/work requirements for the class as any other student would. They shouldn't be given special consideration just because they have to leave the class five times a day for religious reasons... nor should they be made to work any harder than other students.

It's a compromise... we have to respect the requirements of their religion... but if they want to graduate they have to comply with the requirements for graduation as any other student would. There are scores of students across the country who participate in extracurricular activities, and often have to leave town for track meets, basketball tournaments, etc. They still have to meet requirements for graduation like everyone else (Unless of course you go to University of Minnesota, my alma mater... but nevermind, that's a not-so-inside joke... :D).

Same logic applies to Satan worship in prison... someone wants to worship Satan... do all you want. But that doesn't preclude you from societal laws regarding your actions towards other people. Statutes, ordinances, laws and Constitutional amendments still apply. The laws and precedents which protect their right to worship Satan are part of the same legal body that makes homicide a felony. However, no amount of Satan worship, Christ worship, or any other demigod worship, should shorten or lengthen the requirements for their eventual parole, if applicable.

Anyway, we were talking about Satan worship in Prison... I do believe there was a thread about School Prayer before...

7. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I worship and say prayers every day to the nudie pics on my bedroom wall.

Now, I think that is a justifiable religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.