main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Books and Comics Information thread -- updated 2/22

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is the official information thread for Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Books and Comics. Raven and NYCitygurl will keep it updated with important information. Please check in about every week. If you have any questions, post below or PM one of us.

Mod News

Raven and NYCitygurl are going to be around full-time for the next few weeks.

As per a new Mod Squad policy, if we are away for more than five days, we will be changing our colors to green font and transparent background, and our titles will say 'absent' or 'on vacation.'

The latest Mod Squad update, done by NaboosPrincess, can be found here.

A new 'Around the Boards' feature, which will be done every week by rhonderoo, can be found here.

Games and Contests

The writing contest, hosted by Master-FatBurt, will be starting again soon, with a different format. Look for the signups thread soon!!

If you've got an idea for a game or contest, let us know!!

Rules and Reminders

Please have a look at the Official Profanity and Disallowed Words List. There have been some new additons, and posting words on the dia-allowed list is a ban-worthy offense. Quoting an inappropriate post will also get you in trouble. Unban applications are applicable to the same TOS that posts are. No rudeness or profanity is allowed there, either.

Just as a reminder, while you are allowed to discuss, debate, and disagree about books, comics, authors, genres, etc., don't get nasty or personal; be respectful of the other person's viewpoint. On a messageboard where people can't see the faces and expressions of those they are debating with, things can be taken the wrong way. Personal and mean-spirited comments will be edited and appropriate action taken.

Also, please remember that this is not the place for questions or discussions about Star Wars books and comics. Those threads belong in Literature.

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Nice update Nat :)

And starting a trivia game? I suck at games like these but I sure will like to watch it :)

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yep :) Sign-ups have actually started; I added a link :)

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

A question, Nat, Raven. I've seen bollocks used throughout the old Doctor Who series, and more recently, some concurrent British programs. I've taken it as an exclamation of some sort, and used it as such, like bugger! or damn!

What's the concensus on that, here: profanity or exclaiming? I've no probs not using it; rarely do. Thousands of other words to substitute, after all.

When it comes to international language, I'd rather clarify first. An Aust poof has different meaning to the American term. Understandably, I was rather surprised when, yes, there was a Master Jedi of that name. And even more, when no one seemed to understand what I was saying, when I asked that years ago. [face_laugh]

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm actually not quite sure what it means, but the admins have reciently specifically said that it's a big no-no, so we have to take it as profanity.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Unless . . . the meaning has changed, like gay (happy, now ****)?

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    As of a recient MS concensus, bollocks is actually allowed to be used in a sort of 'oh, darn' way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.