main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Sci-fi, Fantasy, yeah, and Horror Movies Critique; by you, for you

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by thatsMISTERwookiee, Feb 23, 2007.

1. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    PRIME DIRECTIVE for this thread: Agree to Disagree.

Feel free to review movies from any era, recommend or warn people of certain movies, list your all-time best films, list your all-time worst films. You will be voicing your opinion, so you can never be wrong, just understand other's opinions are theirs and they are also never wrong.

2. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    I'll start off with a fave of mine, "THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI", a silent film from Germany released in 1920. It probably falls more under the Horror category than any other, but it is an excellent story. A hypnotist has in his possession(and under his control) a sleepwalker, that is released at night to terrorize and kill. Can our young hero find a way to stop this monster, and Dr. Caligari, before his girlfriend becomes the next victim? It is well worth watching to find out.

(Yes, I do have a copy on DVD.)

3. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    You know there are are two threads on this Jack?

4. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005

Unless you are refering to a REALLY old thread, one of these is for Movies, the other one is for TV.

5. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Predator
    Predator 2
    Alien
    Aliens
    Resident Evil
    5th Element
    Starship Troopers
    The Returner
    AOTC
    ROTS
    ESB
    ROTJ
    Matrix
    Matrix Revolutions
    House of 1000 Corpses
    Night of the Living Dead (1968 B&W)

I would have to say those are probably my top pics of all time in no particular order. Notice how I like some of the sequels but not all and not necesarilly in the order they came out!

6. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    2001 was my favorite. Though now I'd have to say it's a bit antiquated. Still for its time, it was a wonderful movie.

7. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    How can that Film be antiquated? It gave us what we have today, and something to set a goal for. Very much like Star Trek (all that tech has come to pass except the "big" stuff). A vast part of NASA is based on Clarke's work (he is a scientist first, author second). As 2001 was being written and shot he was designing Epcot center for Disney, designed the communication satellite, "sling shot" effect, all have been used and other stuff he came up with just has to catch up to his ideas. Very much like we still have to catch up to Asimov's stuff.
    HAL and SAL are not far off, 99.9% of the tech for that film was based on Clarke's predictions, which WILL come to pass or has already been designed. What comes after the shuttle, Clarke has something to do with.

Heck, we do already have a space craft named "Discovery" :-B Apollo 13 was names "Odyssey" as well as the mars odyssey.

I just don't see how something based in FACT (for the science part) that has not happened yet can be antiquated.

Maybe I?m a bit too passionate about it. I retract if I went "overboard".

8. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Whats the point in dreaming if we don't strive to make our dreams reality?

9. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Jack, remembering your twenty questions about the battle of Thermopylae, I saw a trailer for a movie you might enjoy..."300"...it's about the Spartans vs. the Persians. I thought the trailer looked pretty awesome.

10. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    I'm hoping to see it sometime next weekend.

11. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    The cinematography reminded me of the style of special effects used in the three Wakowski brother's productions (Matrix, II & III). It should be fun to watch to say the least.

12. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Not having read Frank Miller's "300", and going only by the trailers, it looks like they are going more with the LEGEND of Thermopylae, and not so much historical accuracy(In both versions, the 300 Spartans still die.).

13. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    I know I'm gonna step on toes with this one, but...

They had the movie, "Clerks" on the other night. I tried to sit through it, but I couldn't.
    It's the cussing. How difficult can it be to write dialogue when every other word is the "f" word. It's my upbringing. Yeah, I cuss. When I'm alone, I sound like a freaking longshoreman. But I rarely cuss in public, unless it is to make a point. I don't care to hang around people who constantly cuss, and I sure as the deuce don't care to sit in front of a movie and watch people cuss. Yeah, I'm specifically refering to Jay's(with Silent Bob) tirade. "F" this and "F" that. What purpose did that scene have?
    It might be a classic film, and I am not questioning anyone's judgement who wishes to think that. But I just couldn't sit and wait through all the vulgarities to get to the part that makes it a classic.

14. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Damian, you wanna take this one? I know you're a big 'Kevin Smith' movie guy...

15. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    To each is own.

Only thing I?m going to say is those characters are based on real people. Back in "the day" when I was a "metal head" I was Silent Bob ( I was once very quiet because I was overly shy). I knew MANY Jays.
    I?ve had many of the same conversations as Kevin Smith writes. He casts his friends and bases all his dialog on convorsations he has with them.
    I talk just like Jay when I slip back into my ?old? self. It took me MANY years to stop talking like that.
    It?s very much a generation thing; his stuff is almost always about my generations' pop culture. Either you ?get it? or you don?t. I can relate to it very easily.

Does not mean it's bad, just different.

I've met people that didn't like Python... baffles me. But then again I don't think The Office is funny at all, and I've watched 2 seasons of the BBC orig. before the american version aired just to see why it kept getting awards.

16. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    See Monty Python is funny but not as funny as the Office........Though nothing compares to 40 year old virgin and I also like American Pie

17. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Saw "300" today.

Wow.

Don't be surprised if they start a Hoplite Division in the DSG.

18. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Would someone be so kind as to teach this old dog the trick of understanding just what Hoplite is? I tried looking it up in the Star Wars encyclopedia, under planetary names, but came up with zip. (No I haven't seen the movie "300" yet either.) Thnx.

19. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    well.. it's off the subject of horror, sci fi and fantasy.... but someone else already brought it up.. American Pie and all those type movies.. I grew up with those starter movies.. Porky's, Revenge of the Nerds, and Spring Break just to name a few.. that's one of the places Anthony Edwards and Robert Carradine got their start, I laughed so hard at those movies.. and then I became a mom and I think when one becomes a mom one becomes a prude.. or maybe it is just me.. I didn't laugh at American Pie.. was bored by it even, nor did I enjoy the Virgin one you mentioned.. though I have a slightly upsetting yet amusing story about American Pie 2 the unrated version.......... Someone in my household bought a copy of that movie.. though I don't know who it was.. and one night two summers ago I guess it was... while Jake and I were at work my children were at home with the babysitter and when I came home the next morning that was the movie that the DVD was showing the start screen for.. and who do you think was laying asleep on the couch.. yep..... you guessed it.. my eleven yr old son!!!! *sigh* I was not pleased with the babysitter I have to say.

as for horror movies.. I love them all.. but they scare me to death.. and Jake does not let me watch any demonic/exorcism type movies because I freak out and can't sleep for days afterwards and get major migraines when that happens.. I don't get scared any more from stuff like Michael Meyers (who can be scared of Captain Kirk in a painted mask anyway), or Freddie ( I like Robert Englund too much.. he was Willie in "V"), and Jason Voorhies doesn't bother me either.. but the music from those shows still upset me if I hear them...

okay... enough.. I have discovered when I type too long of a post no one reads them... bah... ;p