main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NM September Meeting

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jaina Byrd, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    Hello! Guess what! Second Sunday of the month is next week, September 11th! :eek: If you're saying it seems too early, I won't argue that. We had our meeting on the third Sunday last month. So, the real question is this: do you want to do this next week or the week after? I'm open to both! Either way, we need to figure out where we're having the meeting.

Our friends here in the apartment would like to offer our living room at any time. Usually we wouldn't do this, but we recently re-upholstered our lame standard-issue couches and chairs with Star Wars fabric! And we have all six movie posters up in the room, and lightsabers, and the whole shebang.

However, we did have the meeting in Cruces last time around, and it may be time to have a meeting in Alamogordo, since the last time we had a meeting there was in June (or May?) I believe.

Tell me what you think!

(PS: Looking into CafePress this weekend for T-Shirts. :D )

2. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Alamo would be best for me. Right now we are having to work all weekend to help support the Hurrican Relief efforts and to be honest I do not know when it will be done. It might continue right through the week and throughout next weekend. I do not believe that it would extend much further than that so if everyone decides on the third Sunday I am pretty open to where ever. I just need to remember 4:30 this time because last month I thought it was 4:00 and probably just missed all of you. I think I left B&N about ten to fifteen after. Sorry about that.

3. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Any Sunday would work for me. Alamagordo would be okay too, I think.

I was thinking that as part of our organization, for the community service aspect of it, we could start doing something for the people who had to go through such a tragic event /c the hurricane. In EP there it's scheduled that somewhere between 500 and 5,000 people will be staying here! I feel we should do something that can help them out.

Just a thought.

4. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    How do you propose we do that? :)

5. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I'll have to get back to you on that. Since I have no idea where to start. I just know that I feel we should do something (not sure what that something is just yet.) I e-mailed a friend of mine who is really good with the whole community service stuff so I'm hoping he will get back to me before our next meeting. Weather it be on Sept.11th or the week after. I'm terrible with community service, I'll admit that so I have no idea where to begin since I've never really done anything. In my heart I just know that there has to be something that I/we can do.

I'll get back to you should any ideas pop into my head or my friend e-mails me back, which ever comes first.

6. Red_8

Red_8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2004
    That seems like a really good idea jaggy. As for the meeting, it seems that things are finally clearing up. There is a slim chance I could make it to this months meeting, the only obsticle would be that I dont think I can make it to Alamogordo. It is to far. I guess I will just wait for the next meeting in El Paso

7. gloomypadme

gloomypadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2002
    Maybe we can do something nerdy and donate toys or something to the children of the families. I think that would be nice.

8. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Unfortunately I might not be able to make it to the Alamogordo meeting either.

gloomypadme, a toy drive sounds nice. I'm thinking maybe we could also collect first aid kits and water. Canned foods, maybe diapers. Anything would much benefit them over there. Especially since a lot of diseases are starting to surface due to the dead bodies, infested waters and what not.

9. mandy_djo

mandy_djo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    I'll go to wherever everyone else wants to go for the meeting. We'll just have to pick the location that the most people can make it to. I am determined to make it to this one though because I haven't been able to make it in months. And I too really like the idea of doing something for the hurricane victims....it seems all of us think it's a great idea, we just have to figure out what we're going to do. Great topic for discussion at our next meeting!

10. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jedi_Master_Xiania Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2004
    Guys, I have an idea what you can do to help. Please make care packages. They can be anything you think people would like, magazines, toys, food. It needs to be in a shoe box. It also needs to be clearly marked for teenager, adult, infant, toddler. There are drop points in Cloudcroft and at Bety Dare in Alamo! Please help, I think this is a great idea and if you guys could help that would be awesome! Wal-Mart has already donated a lot of necessities but they don't have comfort things. I hope you guys like the idea.[face_flag]

11. Norvon

Norvon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Hello from Alamogordo,
    I would like to attend your next meeting, if you don't mind. I can make it on the 11th. Please let me know where and when. Thanks.

Everett
    TC 4380
    TK 4380

12. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    LJ, care packages sound like a great idea!

Sure the victims need the neccesities but there are also a lot of children [and older victims] who I'm sure would appreciate something a little extra. I wonder if the Red Cross is accepting things like that? I'll check the website today and see what I can come up with.

I know I might not be able to go to the meeting but I'm sure I can plan out ideas here before you all meet.

13. mandy_djo

mandy_djo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Ok, here's the official word on the meeting (I'm copying this from the august meeting thread that Andrea posted it under):

Alright, I'm making the decision. This Sunday, we'll meet at Hastings in Alamogordo on 10th Street at 4:30PM. However, soon we will be considering just making a set place for our meetings. We'll talk more about this on Sunday.

14. Norvon

Jul 18, 2005
    Hello All,
    Do you mind if I attend your meeting on Sunday? I am interested in joining your group. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Everett
    TC 4380

15. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Norvon! Come! We'd love to have you. :D Attendance at our meetings is open to any and all Star Wars fans. :D

16. Norvon

Jul 18, 2005
    Great thanks. How will I know you all and what part of Hastings are you meeting at? Looking forward to meeting you all. See you there.

Everett
    TC 4380

17. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    I will be wearing my Star Wars T-Shirt... I'll get some pictures up tomorrow so you can recognize us. We plan on being in the book section (with all the big chairs and near where the coffee usually is).

18. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    As of right now I should be there. The only thing that could change that is if we have more Hurricane Relief stuff to do at work that day. Right now nothing is scheduled. I am going to make sure I remember 4:30 this time. I feel like a moron after last month.

19. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jedi_Master_Xiania Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2004
    Josh, don't feel like a moron. We're just trying to get all this meeting stuff worked out. I think Mandy and Angie have the right idea giving the meetings a set place. It'll be easier on everyone's gas mileage for one, and it'll spare Angie and Mands the headaches;). I'm definatly going to be there. I've already told mom, and she called work to tell them to tell Belva (she's part of where mom works, small world eh?:eek:). Well, looks like we're doing awesome, we've got t-shirts and a web page. Now all LJ has to do is do some serious advertising at the college! Bawhaha

20. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Speaking of advertising, I can give you some fliers to do that with.

Anyone want to go somewhere for dinner together after the meeting? Pizza Mill or something like that?

21. Norvon

Jul 18, 2005
    Thanks,
    I'll be wearing a black Revenge of the Sith shirt and maybe a Star Wars Episode I hat. I'll see you there.

Everett
    TC 4380

22. TK-Aegis

TK-Aegis Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2005
    Thanks for the invite to the meeting on Sunday, but unfortunately I wont be able to make it there. Sunday afternoon is a nasty time to do anything when you go to NMMI.

Wish I could make it, but thanks anyway! Perhaps I will catch you all another month.

23. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

Hastings called me and told me that it is no longer okay for us to have a meeting there. They didn't give me specifics.

However, it is alright if we meet there to begin with and then decide to go elsewhere, which I am calling around Alamogordo about now. I'll keep you all updated on the situation.

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Plateau Espresso has told me they'd be very very happy to take us in and help us out. They even asked if we wanted a table reserved or anything, but I told him (the manager) that that wouldn't be necessary, considering it looks like attendance won't be more than 7, maybe? (I told him 5, to be conservative. I always overestimate.)

Anyway, one of us will be at Hastings until... oh, 4:45 PM to make sure any Star Wars fans that come for the meeting are redirected to Plateau Espresso.

If you haven't been there before, from White Sands Boulevard, you can take 1st, 10th, or Indian Wells eastward (toward the mountains) all the way up to Scenic Drive. You will turn left, and follow Scenic all the way past Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center. Right after the 50MPH sign, you'll be up and over a hill. Right to your right (mountain side of the road) will be Plateau Espresso. Park and come on in!

24. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Sorry I won't be able to make it to the meeting. Alamogordo is a little too far for me. Let me know how it went though.

25. Norvon

Jul 18, 2005

That's okay. I'll meet you over there. See you then.

Everett
    TC 4380

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.