main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON Serenity Discussion...

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by jeigh, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Did anyone see it?

Any thoughts? Opinions?

2. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Loved it...was a little miffed about two certain characters (i will not spoil)

Catapaulted into my top 5 movies of 2005 dropkicking Fantastic Four back into the Negative Zone.

3. Dimi_Starr

Dimi_Starr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    it was absolutely awesome.. although I agree about the two characters. I so love the humour.. hilarious

4. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Ok, well I am posting spoilers. I kind of figured people wouldn't come to a "serenity discussion" thread if they didn't want to see spoilers...

I didn't like it. Not to say I hated it... it's just... some things were so *wrong*. Like Mal's rubber suspenders. Basically, I wish I hadn't ever seen it at all.

It's not that it was a bad movie... although it wasn't a great movie... but for one thing WHY NOT JUST KILL THE WHOLE CAST?!

Book's death I wasn't too broken up about, though I was a bit surprised. Wash's death on the other hand... At the end of the movie for about 5 minutes I just kept repeating over and over "Wash is dead?!" Anyone in the hall who had wanted to see the movie but hadn't yet just got spoiled ;p But seriously though... Wash is dead?!

Anyway, there was some other crap I didn't buy, like Simon being the one who went to get river. Not only can I just never see him doing that, but in firefly he was surprised when he found out they were cutting up river's brain.

So I've decided to consider firefly and serenity to completely separate unconnected entities. And if firefly ever comes back and wash is dead, I'm not going to watch it.

Ok, I probably will, but I'm not going to like it.

And I'm DEFINITELY never seeing the movie again for money or for free because I just can't bear to see that one scene again...

5. Dalponis

Dalponis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2001
    I never saw Firefly.

Nevertheless, I liked that movie. I thought it was a good sci-fi movie.

But I will say, I don't care about this, but one would say there was NO character devlopment in that movie. I didn't care, but some will.

6. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    But I will say, I don't care about this, but one would say there was NO character devlopment in that movie. I didn't care, but some will.

Isn't that because it was a tv show before the movie?

7. Dalponis

Nov 2, 2001
    No, that's thinking way, way too much. You're going to give me a brain ache. Ouch! Ouch!

That's what I fiqured too...

-- I didn't care, I like Sci-Fi shows that skip all the crap and get to the point. --

They shouldn't say, "to know/understand these people, you need to buy two seasons of DVDs and watch them". If they did, (¿did they?) it's a poorly directed movie. A great addon to the series, but a poorly directed movie.

Hell, why even tell the viewers who Bilbo Bagins/Gandalf are? The viewers should have read or seen the cartoon The Hobbit, so they can infer the rest.

8. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    It was only 1 season.

Apparently the movie was just as enjoyable if you hadn't seen firefly, but I'm willing to bet the characters seemed shallow.

9. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Th first time I saw it I was also crushed at the deaths. That was all I could think of and I could not enjoy the movie. However after some thought I decided to go see it again and I really enjoy it. No I don't want the same only Holleywood story and Joss does not give us that.

As for Simon, yes they played a bit with the story about getting her out but maybe in Firefly he was acting reserved. You would not break into a secret goverment facility and then while on the run boast about what you did. You would lay low and try not attract any attention to yourself. In the movie and the shows he has shown that he is willing to bandon his life and parents for River so it is not that big a stretch to think he would go after her.

I am a bit miffed at little to no Book story. His death has the classic final speach. It also serves to drive Mal to take the ship and crew through Reaver territory.

Wash's death was also needed. There is no way they can go through that massive air battle unscathed. His death is sudden with no meaning and no last speach. This happens in life. It also puts us on edge because we now do not know if anyone will survive. If Wash had lived then we would never fear for any of the characters as we would expect them all to live no matter how bad their injuries are.

I also like the bad guy. Mal doesn't kill him but literally destroys everything he believes in.

There are a lot of little things to look for in the movie that Joss loves doing.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

10. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    All right all right, I'm willing to give you everything (but I don't have to like it!) EXCEPT the simon/river thing.

He's not superman, he's a doctor. I.just.don't.buy.it. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be willing to do that for river, but after everything I've seen in the show, I don't think he'd suceed. And it just doesn't jive with the episode "Ariel"... or like, everything else.

11. Dalponis

Nov 2, 2001
    That's what I was going for...

You put it perfectly. /bow

12. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    When freeing River, Simon did not do anything super. Nothing really physical. He had a weapon to take out the doctors. If he practiced and studied enough he could fake it. How to put the doctor on edge, know what questions to ask.

Or you can suspend disbelief and accept it as Joss' way to fill out the story so the newbies can quickly understand the past.

Believe me after some time you will appreciate what Joss has given you and enjoy it next time. Well not the 2 specific scenes but how everything has been put together.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

13. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    nope, serenity never happened

14. Dalponis

Nov 2, 2001
    Serenity Now!

15. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    I cannot possibly explain to you how old that is getting.

16. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Almost as old as "I'm a Leaf in the Wind"?

17. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    At least "I'm a leaf on the wind" is relevent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.