main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SFF Writers' Guild Writing Contest Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by droideka27, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I'm writing a story, but I'm afraid it would be too long. And when does this thing start?
    And exactly how many color days would we get?

The Hooded Soul

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I like between 3 and 9 judges, take what we can get. There isn't actually a need for an odd amount of judges if judge scores are simply going to be added together.

The distribution, as I understand it, is simple enough. Everyone emails their story to the cohost (or host, if the host is not also a judge), and that person forwards them on to all judges. The judges evaluate and send back score and critique to the distributer. Bam.

3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Too many judges may spoil the broth, that's all I'll say on that issue.

Opening it up to any instead of signups is a wise option.

Also, I like the idea of having topic suggestions. Something the Fan-Fiction forums do well.

4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    PK, if it is on a blog or a webspace it doesn't give the Judges a chance to view the story without bias.

I would like to not know who has written each story if I am to judge it fairly.

Also, people please! We all type quickly sometimes but if you are going to participate in a writing contest please use spellcheck!

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

I agree and if I am chosen to judge I swear I will mark down any entry that has any sort of text speak or web speak in it e.g. l8r, gr8, lol, rofl. and so on and so forth unless it is used in an appropriate context :) :p

Spelling etc shouldn't be a major issue when scoring but I'm sure most things can be spell checked and as such when submitted should at least have had a once over (some EU books could do with that every now and again as well :rolleyes: )

6. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I think 4 or 5 judges would be better than 9.

also, will there be a max limit for entries? I don't want to submit a huge 50 page story for a judge to read if everyone else is doing the same. We wont get results back in time. If it's shorter, we have more time to discuss them in the writers guild.

Do we have a tenative start date?

dkt

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    As far as judging goes, this is how we judged our Mod "I Dare You!" Challenge in Fan Fic last year. Might give you all some ideas. Or you can ignore it, that's fine, too. :p We actually borrowed it from the Gentleman's Writing Guild, since we liked their setup.

Overall Creativity: 10 possible points
    Writing Ability (no plot holes, made sense, wasn't rushed): 10 possible points
    Grammar/Mechanics: 10 possible points
    Did the author follow the guidelines or just do his own thing?: 10 possible points
    On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best), how much did you enjoy this piece?: 10 possible points

There were two judges for each story forum - one mod, one user. Each judge could give 50 possible points. The two scores were then averaged.

We had a thread set up in FF Resource where anyone who wanted their stories judged could post a link to the story thread. That made everything a lot more organised.

If you want to keep things anonymous, however, I think setting up a private board offsite, or even a private blog or LJ would be a great idea. That way, you don't have to clutter people's email boxes with attachments, and you don't have to worry about documents getting lost. The host can post all the stories, hand off the link, and there you go.

Though, the Host will have to make sure that the people with access to the private blog/journal/site are indeed supposed to have access. :p But that's easy enough to do.

8. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    HOW ABOUT A TEN WORD LIMIT, KEVIN THOMAS? WOULD THAT SUIT YOU, BOY, KEVIN THOMAS?

9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    JS: AFAIK, we've agreed on a ten-point system for each judge, and then a mandatory brief paragraph after for critique. ;)

And I thought we already came to a solution on the process of the stories going from the writers' hands to the judges'. :confused:

Anyway, I think the utmost issue we need to solve right now is the prompt. Once we agree on the basis for a prompt and choose a prompt, then the writers who know they're going to enter can begin actually writing.

Again, I'll say I think it should be simple, just centering on a theme, something like that. And for the first competition, no discrimination of fantasy or SF. We go with both.

That's my two cents.

10. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    This is the process as I see it from everything that's been discussed above. Is this acceptable for everyone?

1. The host will post a theme for the competition. The deadline for the submitted story will be X amount of time later (2 weeks? 1 month?)

2. The host will forward the submitted stories on anonymously to the judges after the deadline, but within 24 hours.

3. There will be a minimum of 3 judges.

4. Each judge will score the submitted stories out of 10, and write a short critique explaining why they like/didn't like it (be constructive).

5. Judges will return their scores and critiques to the Host via PM within X amount of time (1 week? 2 weeks?)

6. The host will collate the information and publish the results on the thread.

7. Winner gets a title for X amount of time (I think the standard is 1 week).

8. Re-cycle for next competition.

11. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    A theme?

So we cant choose any setting etc, to write in? We cant just go freely about it

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Yes a theme.

It can help if the story is focused on a theme.

If I'm judging I know I'd likely score a Fantasy based novel higher than I would a romantic tale or something set in the real world as I need the story to be interesting to me.

If I know in advance that the works I'm getting will be of a specific type I know I will be able to grade them equally as they will all be works of a genre that either interests me or not. (If the genre doesn't interest me then I will be objective as they will all be as disinteresting as each other :p )

I would also prefer a limited number of entrants. The idea of getting a PM with upto 50 odd stories (though doubtful could be possible) would just be too intense. I'd be happy for anything upto 20 entrants, 10-15 preferable though.

13. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    So far, Jairen's post seems to be the most sensible and clear encapsulation so far. I agree with everything on that list. :)

Just something that makes sure all the stories have something in common. It should be pretty vague - a theme of "Isolation", say, or a theme of "Winter".

Well, these will all be SF or Fantasy since this is the SFF Guild, but may I add I agree with you :p

I doubt 50 people'd enter. I think if we do get a huge entry, judging time could simply be extended. One FanFic challenge, the judging started in February and didn't end till June. [face_plain]

14. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    For now a limit wouldn't be needed. Number of entries will maybe get into double figures. Maybe.

15. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Actually, when coming down to it, we don't need a set number of judges at all, just a minimum number. If ones want to be a judge, he/she may be but only after being qualified by Dorkman.

So we cant choose any setting etc, to write in? We cant just go freely about it

Last I checked, theme was vastly different from setting.

16. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Has Dorkman agreed to be host? He has posted in here a few times but hasn't said he wants to be host or accepted the nomination. Dorkman!! Tell us if you want to be host!!

17. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I would not mind something like "isolation" or "winter" as long as it doesn't get specific. (i.e. having to include things randomy)

-The Scummy-

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm waiting for the rules to be settled, but tentatively yes, I'd be willing to serve a term as host.

M. Scott

19. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Another suggestion if the blogs don't fly.

Set up a private forum and let the host post the stories there.

They could start a new thread for each story. Giving access only to the judges along with the host and if the host isn't a mod at the time a mod also, to make sure all is going kosher. Anyway, this way the judges can have a discussion over each story. This way it keeps all stories annoymous and allows for open discussion on each between the judges.

~PK~

20. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Ummm... I have a question. How much time will we have to write our stories?

The Hooded Soul

21. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    That's a pretty swell idea, PK. :) The mods would have to consider that one seriously, though, I think.

I had an idea a little while back that the winning story could be pinned up at the top of the forum, and be the "poster story" of the SFAF BC. Of course, this would require mod approval and the approval of the winning writer.

As for time to write the stories, I feel three weeks should be ideal. What do others think?

22. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Two to three weeks sounds good, if the low mark for word count is 2,000 words. That's easy enough to do, even with Writers Block. :p

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree with a 3 week period for writing, I think that the judges should be given 3 weeks to judge and get their score in as we could have quite a few tales to read.

This would mean we would be looking at a 6 week turnaround for the competition which falls nicely over 2 months and even leaves a couple of weeks to get the next round sorted.

24. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Well, if Dorkman is happy to be chairperson/host/King, then everything should be nearly set...all the major stuff, anyway. Maybe the first one could begin February 1, making the deadline February 22, and the winner announced March 15.

25. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, now, we just need a prompt.

How will prompts be discussed? Only among judges, or all involved?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.