main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should every forum have its own banner?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by weezer, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Well the title pretty much says it all. I was just interested in hearing what people have to say about it.

In other words do you think that the AOTC board should look diffrent than the Ep-III board which would be diffrent from lit?

2. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]yeah, but who's gonna make them?[/color]

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Well, just about every Fan Force manages to have someone make a graphic for their board, so I don't think it would be too hard to find someone to make a banner for the other boards.

4. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Do remember that the JC is one large forum as a whole, only split into several sub-groups. By letting each forum have its own banner, this would take away the overall feeling of unity at the JC. Right now, FF boards are allowed to have their own banner, but that's because FF boards are generally for people living in that area and they have a greater say about whether they want to personalise it as a group.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    ... nah. If you want different banners then submit your own and see how they go.

6. DesignSith

DesignSith Jedi Master star 2

Feb 12, 2000
    I'm on a modem. Just downloading the one is a pain in the ass.

Thankfully I don't check FanForce every time.

7. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    To the person who loves new banners and graphics (me) the idea does sound cool. However, you'd have to create banners that would comply with the current colors and fonts of the Jedi Council, or change the forum colors to fit in with the newly created banners. Likewise, the banners would have to fit in with the standard given for the Jedi Council and would have to make sense for each forum. Add all of that to the fact that some might get confused and angry to find new graphics and colors for every different forum and you begin to understand that while it can be done under the current code...the design impact would be drastic.

8. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    The Games forum has a different banner, why's that?

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    They're also having some sort of contest in the Lit forum for a new banner design...

10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yeah thats really why I brought it up.

Personaly I agree with Valiowk 100%.

It seems odd that we have all of this talk about community building and cliquey social threads that they would do this.

Most people seem to like it though :D

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    If you're on 56k get opera for posting on the JC, you can disable graphics on webpages.

12. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Rox, you can do it with IE too. :)

Well, the reason that there has been a change to the Games banner, and we are doing one for Lit is to tie the respective forums in closer with the relevant pages of TFN. We are using the current TFN Games banner and are asking for a new one for use on both TFN Books and Lit.

And both Tel and Val have hit a good point, there has always been a unity to the forums, and that it would require a bit of effort to do them for every forum.

That's not to say that by doing the two changes we have we are wanting to be separated, we always like for everyone to interact with fans everywhere. But there always has been a tendancy for those that visit those two to keep close to those forums, and many of the other forums deal with the movies. Plus there are some extremely strong ties and interactions that we already have between those two sections and the two forums.

But I have brought this up with the rest of the admin team. It would be good to hear other people's thoughts though.

13. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes, definitively. People can read - after all it's a discussion board - as long as it's written 'Jedi Council' at the top, it's good.

14. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I dislike the idea, simply because the banner will always be biased towards who makes it. As in, it is HIS favourite books etc that are shown

15. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Would you really mind a full-KJA oriented banner ? ;) jk

No really, as I intend to do one (at least) for Lit, I'll do themed banners. And the theme won't be 'my favorite books'.

For example, I could tell myself 'okay, let's make a banner centered on Corellian characters, based on illustrations from the NEGTC'. That'd not really take my personal opinions of the books into account.

(Oh and maybe I could do a NJO banner with the art from the NJOSB... Just for Kier... [face_devil] :p )

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > It seems odd that we have all of this talk about community building and cliquey social threads that they would do this.

A post of mine from the Games Forum;

[i]This whole banner & colour scheme is not perminant... We are taking submissions for alternatives. Don't like this one. Great. Make one yourself & submit it. I'd be happy to change them over every few months.

We could have themed banners - Hoth games scenes for winter, Tatooine Games theme for summer, old-school theme, galaxies theme, Games Victory scenes for holidays etc etc etc...

Bring them on! [/i]
    [hr]
    As far as I'm concerned, tieing the Games Forum to Tfn/Games, and getting forum participants to design banners (and icons) [b]helps[/b] build community and [b]breaks down cliques[/b].

We have member run Gaming Tournaments, the Index was constructed by a regular member and there was discussion between the members as to what went into the new navigation header.

Getting Games forum members to actively contribute to developments within the Games forum was one of my goals when I became moderator. I think we're doing reasonably well.

I don't buy into the argument that it's "cliquey" in the least.

And as for ReaperFett's comment that it's not fair because the person who designed the banner will include their favourite stuff. Well, that's life. And anyway (in the games forum at least), We're more than happy to roll our new banners and colour schemes every few months.

17. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    I'd have to argue that's it's never fair that one forum (in this I mean forums that hold communities) gets a unique banner while others don't. What's to say that fan fiction shouldn't have a tie banner in with it's archive at TFN? Or the Fan Art page to the Museum?

Personally, I think that all JC forums should have the same banner, but the fact that this is not so doesn't bother me.

I do think, however, that if some forums are allowed while others aren't, the Fan Art forum should have the option, since that sort of thing is the passion of the people that post there. Maybe have a contest like Lit?

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    No-one (at this stage) has said no other forums can have unique banners. So you're jumping the gun there somewhat.

Kadue writes this (elsewhere). I'd like to share;

Also, while I have liked all the banners that we've had, for obvious reasons (that EU is not a fully accepted and liked continuation) the banners we've had are all exclusively Movie related. It would be nice to walk into the EU forum and see some EU characters.

QED.

19. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    You're all ignoring the REAL reason Games has its own banner - all the gamers went crazy(er) and threatened jp-30 with "1337 h4><0r||\|g" if they didn't get one. :p

20. Yarael_Poof_Lives

Yarael_Poof_Lives Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2002
    This would overwork the wonderful LMM

21. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    But the EU characters would include Han, Leia, Luke......

22. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    JP, you're my hero.

23. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    You're all ignoring the REAL reason Games has its own banner - all the gamers went crazy(er) and threatened jp-30 with "1337 h4><0r||\|g" if they didn't get one.

THIS SI UNTREW~~~`!!1@

And that new banner idea is pretty cool. The current one is a bit tough on the eyes, but I'm really in no position to complain because I'm terrible with Photoshop. I'm sure we'll get some really cool submitions though. It's now clear to me that Games is the best forum on the entire JC, with our search, banner, and marquee thingie. :D

24. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
  25. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    MAH GAWD and I used a TOOTOARIULL for that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.