main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should "I have 5000/10000 posts" threads be allowed?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 27, 2002.

?

Should "I have 5000/10000 posts" threads be allowed?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes, for both the 5k and 10k variety.

23.4%
  2. They should only be allowed at the 10k mark.

43.8%
  3. They shouldn't be allowed at all.

20.3%
  4. Other (please explain)

12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
  2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Pretty straightforward. Do you think that that sort of thread should be allowed, and if so, in what form?

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    15 and 20k, too. If someone's that desperate to display that they have no life, by all means, let them.

4. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    Eh...they can flaunt their lifelessness (if thats a word) all they want - but don't clutter up the forums doing it.

5. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmm... I wouldn't think it happens so often, so I don't really see the problem - one thread on it, once in a blue moon, is hardly a problem, is it..? [face_unsure]

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm hesitant to vote on this at this point... I definitely think SOME recognition should be allowed, at least at the 10K level though I also believe at the 5K level... but I'm not sure that individual threads are the way to go.

I know JCC has an "Official 'I've Reached a Certain Amount of Posts' Thread" or somesuch -- would something like that work here? Or would it be better off with individual 5K/10K thread postings because it happens so infrequently?

Thoughts?

7. anakin85

anakin85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I voted Other. I don't think individual threads should be devoted to this. They could announce that "This is my 5000th post" in another thread and along with what they were going to say to contribute to that topic. There shouldn't be an individual thread/post to announce it.

8. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Other. I like dp4m's official thread idea, and think that would work for the most part (as well as maybe provide Lit forum patrons with a place to announce birthdays, promotions, and other things as well if desired). I would make an exception for 10k posts, though, because those really do come only once in a blue moon, and the users who have managed to acquire that many posts are almost always very well-known on the boards.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The question about the official thread idea is -- how to prevent useless spam. People shouldn't be posting 100 posts, 1000 posts, or other things in there other than what's designated (whether it's 5000 or some other number).

10. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I don't think there's any way to prevent that, but if we have specific guidelines as to what post milestones are allowed, and then delete those posts that disobey those guidelines or are excessively spammy, it would probably work.

I'm curious--how do they run things in the JCC thread?

11. Jedi_Andrew_Solo

Jedi_Andrew_Solo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    I think 10K should be allowed. People don't hit that mark very often. I don't think it would congest the forum enough to be noticed.

12. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I'm only a few hundred away from 10k, so I'm gonna be posting it somewhere ...

13. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    I really don't think that Lit is the place for that sort of thing.

14. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    It is if the majority of your posts have been there (although I'm not sure if that's true for me anymore ...)

15. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't mind "10,000" threads. I think 5,000 is pushing it a bit though.

16. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I would say for milestones. Like 5,000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000. Not for 100, or 1,000. Those threads usually die after a couple of days, and there is usually only like one at a time. Doesn't really clutter.

17. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    10,000 definitely. It proves to the world that you're more pathetic than the rest of us. :p

Seriously, I think it's kind of a big thing (well, not real big, but you know what I mean), so why not?

18. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I recently achieved 5,000 posts but I knew not to create a thread - because it would have been locked.

This is my thought - it should be allowed to a point. A thread can be posted for 5,000; 10,000; 25,000, whatever......but only be allowed so many posts and must be congratulations to the person, and not much more.

So, yes and no, basically, if that made sense.

19. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    10k and over and they be locked after a few days

20. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    10 000, if most of them are in Lit. If someone spams in JCC all the time, but reads the X-Wing books... that's no reason to :)

~monogpfm

21. Thejedikiller

Thejedikiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    I do not think their is any need to allow threads like this in Lit. If someone wants to flaunt their posts total with an EU crowd I say it should be taken to the EU Community board. That is what that board is for.

22. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    True, that is more of a community thing.

I change my vote to no. Besides, I'll probably just post mine in the JC anyway :D

23. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I sort of believe that they shouldn?t be there at all. Yes, they might promote a feeling of camaraderie to a very limited extent, but I still don?t see the need for these threads in lit. Most of the people who have that many posts also post in other parts of the JC. There?s nothing wrong with celebrating your 5k post in a club you belong to in the EUC, and I?m sure there are many other places where celebrating such things is perfectly fine, and doesn?t really hinder anything.

However, in the lit forum, I don?t think it?s necessary or appropriate to celebrate your 5k post by creating a new thread about it.

24. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Tbey shouldn't be allowed at all.

It creates elitism.

Not only that, but people will write one or two word replies just to get to 5,000 and 10,000 posts.

25. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Well, 10000 posts threads are alright, if a majority of their posts were on the Lit forum. They deserve some recognizition for having no life :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.