main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should Leia be a Jedi or Politician in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Nov 3, 2012.

?

Should Leia be a Jedi in the ST?

1. Yes

131 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Unsure

16 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Maybe

26 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    She would not either way. That bikini was put on Leia by people who wanted to exploit and degrade her.

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I believe a Jedi Praexeum is set up on Yavin.

3. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I think she should be 'strong in the force' but not a jedi in the 'jumpy flipy lightsaber' sence.

4. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    Leia *is* a Jedi.

5. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    No.

I never bought Leia as a Jedi.

6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    She's always been strong in the Force, but doesn't she only learn how to actually use it at around the same time she becomes a "jumpy flippy lightsaber" dude?

7. fishtailsam

Jul 30, 2003
    I guess I mean I'd like to see her in a non-combat role. Not to say she couldnt pick up a saber, (cuz it would be cool to have an echo to the ANH scene where she blasts some STroopers but with a saber.), but that she would be more of a talky talky jedi with mind tricks and telekenisis and stuff.

Her character was always 'spunky ambassador' so I would like to see more of that if anything.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  8. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I liked "jumpy flipy lightsaber" Leia in TFU2. :p

I could see her being much like Obi-Wan - skilled in the use of a lightsaber in her younger years but not relying on it as much when she's older.

9. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    As I've already said - twice - there is nothing in filmic canon to suggest that a resurrected Jedi Order would be based anywhere other than Coruscant, particularly since, as I already noted, we know that, structurally at least, the Jedi Temple survived all the intervening years between Revenge of the Sith and the Empire's fall in Return of the Jedi.

10. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    In this thread, are we only going to do film canon, then?

11. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ Why would we discuss anything else?

It IS possible that the Sequel Trilogy could follow EU canon and not have a potentially revived Jedi Order headquartered on Coruscant, but I don't personally see that as being very likely because EU canon has absolutely no bearing on filmic canon whatsoever.

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    The EU is an integral part of the SW universe, even it it has never moved on a screen. Well, it will be an integral part of the canon until 2015...

13. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    The EU is integral to the SW universe, but its content has very little bearing on filmic canon, which is free to contradict EU canon at any time and for any reason, and I don't think it makes much sense to involve discussion about the EU and its potential impact on the ST in any thread other than the one specifically dedicated to that type of discussion.. Filmic canon indicates that a resurrected Jedi Order will likely be headquartered on Coruscant, and that Leia is likely to end up being part of said resurrected Order, since that type of role lets her merge both her inherent Force potential with her considerable political talents. That's just my own personal opinion, though.

14. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012

Not even as a wise old sage Jedi Master on the Jedi Council? She has the diplomatic chops to be a Jedi, remember that Jedi are not solely ***kicking warriors, even if she is a Skywalker. Leia is a perfect Jedi, she's probably already served her political career with the New Republic, and she can better serve the galaxy through diplomacy as a Jedi. Jedi are originally peace keepers and only become peace makers as a last resort.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I guess it's because Leia is iconic as a diplomat. Luke is the iconic Jedi. We don't get introduced that Leia is even Force-sensitive for a while and now it may be hard to wrap heads around New Leia.

Game3525 and fishtailsam like this.
  16. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I don't know, I can imagine quite a lot.

Darth_Pevra and Jeff Vader like this.
  17. The Reformer

The Reformer Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2012
    I think that it would be need to have Luke teach Leia the ways of the force, and to be able to rebuild the jedi order. Sure it would be a slow and long process, but with time I think that they could rebuild the order and be peacekeepers of the galaxy once again.

18. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    @WEIRD_GREEN_MAN: Leia is only an iconic diplomat to those who are familiar with EU canon; based solely on the filmic canon, she's more famous for being one of the leaders of the Rebel Alliance than she is for her skill as a diplomat, and, as I've already pointed out, the most logical 'next step' for her insofar as filmic canon is concerned is for her to follow in the footsteps of her father and brother and become a Jedi, since doing so would allow her to meld both her political and diplomatic instincts - the legacy of her mother - with her inherent Force potential - the legacy of her father - together.

19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I think that's exactly what happens.

20. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I would like to see Leia at least training younglings. Kind of like when we see Yoda with them in AOTC.

21. fishtailsam

Jul 30, 2003
    Disagree, not familiar with EU at all. Still, I can't see leia as a Jedi knight.
    Also, leia was ALWAYS a diplomat. She was on a DIPLOMATIC mission to alderan. She was going to protest to the imperial senate.

22. Darth Stream

Darth Stream Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    Leia for me is more politician and a diplomat than a knight - i hope it will stay this way.

23. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012

...No...no jedi flying (jumping) or flipping, please. It's ok if they do it some other way but it's going to look stupid else wise.

Since youtube isn't posting my link at 25 seconds that's what I'm referring to.

Unless they recast or she looses weight again. I have no problem with her as is if they give her a proper role for her "character".

24. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    And then she was exposed as a traitor to the Empire, her homeworld was destroyed and the Imperial Senate disbanded. Her time as a polititian ends there. The rest of the trilogy she's leading the Rebel Alliance, fighting on the front lines of battle, falling in love with Han and discovers her true lineage as a Skywalker strong in the force (and in time will learn to use it as Luke has - directly quoted from the movie)

Padme is more iconic as a diplomat than Leia ever was. I don't understand why some fans would rather turn Leia into a Padme clone instead of following up where ROTJ left her character and take the opportunity to develop it further.

25. Darth Whatever

Darth Whatever Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    By the time episode 7 takes place, she will have already served the new republic in some political fashion. She will also be a Jedi Master and serve as some sort of liaison between the Jedi Council and the republic govt.

Oh, and if she needs to whip out a light saber once in a while, I expect that she can kick some serious a$$. That's my 2 cents worth....

Yanksfan, fishtailsam and Angel Eyes like this.