main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the Atlanta Falcons dump Jim Mora when the current season is over?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm sure many of you have heard about this current incident. But, for those who haven't, here's a recap....

"Mora, an alumnus of Washington, said he has much respect for Washington coach Ty Willingham but said "if that job's open, you'll find me at the head of the line with my resume in hand ready to take that job."

Mora, being interviewed by KJR's Hugh Millen and Dave Mahler, was then asked, "If you're available?"

Said Mora: "It doesn't even matter if I'm available. ... I don't care if we're in the middle of a playoff run. I'm packing my stuff and coming back to Seattle."

Mora issued a written statement early Friday attempting to clarify the comments. Later, the team called a news conference at owner Arthur Blank's downtown offices. Mora told reporters his attempts at humor in the interview were not successful.

"Clearly I made a mistake in the way I came across," Mora said. "My intent was sarcasm and wit with an old buddy I roomed with in college, Hugh Millen.

"I thought I was kidding but in listening to the replay it certainly didn't sound like that. So I apologize. I certainly didn't want to offend anyone in Atlanta here with the Falcons, Ty Willingham, or people in Seattle. It was just very poor judgment on my part and for that I apologize."

Blank did not attend the news conference, but Mora had the appearance of a man who had been reprimanded by his boss.

"I have talked with Arthur," Mora said. "He's disappointed in me and he should be. I'm more disappointed in myself than he ever could be with me. ... I opened my mouth and I let people down.

"This is where I want to live. This is where I want to grow old, and boy what a horrible job I did of expressing that. A horrible job. You'd think I'd learn. You think you get enough shots at this, you'd figure it out. But I never cease to amaze myself at some of the things that come flying out of my mouth before I can get them back."

Mora said he already has proved he wouldn't leave the Falcons for a job at his alma mater.

"When that job came open two years ago I got some calls from some alumni and I was here as the head coach and I told them immediately I have no interest in being anywhere but the Atlanta Falcons," Mora said. "Please don't even consider me. And then I endorsed Ty Willingham, who I think is an outstanding coach and has done an outstanding job there. He's made me proud to be an (alumnus) again."

The Falcons are 7-6 in Mora's third season and under a mandate from Blank to improve on last season's 8-8 finish. The Falcons advanced to the NFC championship game in Mora's first year with the team, and Saturday night's game is crucial to the Falcons' hopes of returning to the playoffs.

"I don't think it's a big distraction, no," Mora said. "I think our players are locked and loaded. The players know how committed I am to them. I don't think there's any question how committed I am and how passionate I am about them and the Atlanta Falcons but clearly it was poor judgment and clearly I could have created a distraction and for that I have no excuses."

After certain other events, including suggesting that Vick actually play the runningback position, Mora's father being quoted as saying "Michael Vick is a coachkiller", and now this, do you think Mora's job is safe?

Insulting your franchise QB(learn to put your dad in a muzzle) is one thing, but saying some of the things he said above, even if it was in jest(which I highly doubt) is unacceptable, especially when they are on the verge on losing out on the playoffs.

What are your thoughts?

2. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    No, no they shouldent, despite what he said he is still a good coach. Give him an other year.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Well, the problem is, he's starting to have a rift with not only some of his team, but their franchise QB. Everyone knows that team owners in the NFL will almost always side with their star player, over the head coach.

4. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    Tonight is a very important game for Mora. If they win this, it will show they can win a game even with all those distraction. Its unfortunate but Moras job is on the line.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic coach. He just made some very unfortunate comments, at the worst time of the season that he could have. Coupled with the "Coachkiller" comments that Sr. made, I just think Atlanta might not be his home for much longer. If it is cool, if not, there are plenty of NFL teams I'm sure would love to have him next season(if not an NCAA program). Hell, we all know the Cardinals head coaching job will most likely be open.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I wouldn't put much stock in what he said, and so I'd say the ownership needs to make their decision based on performance... so I wouldn't fire him after this year, but he's still on the hot seat, definitely.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Scotty Ferrall, my favorite sports show host on Sirius, brought up the point that Mora may have made those comments because Arthur Blank has already either told him behind closed doors this is likely his last season if they don't win out, or he feels like he's been pressured so much by the media and Blank hasn't backed him sufficiently. Perhaps it was just his way of lashing back. Remember this is the same Arthur Blank that fired a legend, Dan Reeves, over one bad season which Vick, his star player, was out for a substantial part of.

Besides, I don't see Willingham leaving Washington for a good while, and no way do I fire Tyrone Willingham for some jerk like Mora.

8. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Well, heels not to mention the Huskies just flat out suck.
    In answer to this threads question: No they shouldn't fire him. He isn't the reason his team can't play consistent football.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

9. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    :confused:
    Last time I checked, it's an NFL coach's job to make sure that his players do play consistent football.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Not really, in terms of where they're going. From 2-9 to 5-7 in a year, and they have the nation's 27th best recruiting class coming in, 4th best in the Pac-10 behind Cal, USC, and Oregon only. Also can't forget how close they were to beating Southern Cal, either.

They'll be good in a few years.

And ASG is absolutely correct.

11. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Yes and no. It's his job to coach them so they play consistent football. It is not his job to go out and catch the football for his WR's. They have dropped alot of balls which is one of the reasons they are playing inconsistent. It is not because of Mora. However if the Falcons fail to make the playoffs next year THEN I would fire him.

Also the Falcons lost on Saturday, because of one reason. Defense.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.