main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Sith are cooler than Jedi to write as characters?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Slowpokeking, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think traditional Jedi are really stubborn and won't help the plot much. Or they could be some headstrong generals, or even crusaders(that means they are close to the Dark Side).

As for Sith, pure Sith's schemes and manipulation is very fun to write and can make the plot really awesome. Jedi-turned Sith could be perfect as the protagonist to write since there would be so much drama and conflicts.

Mav Edit: You've been told before, discussing something that is specific to your own fanfic is not allowed.

2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Sith can be a huge challenge to write well. Too much evil, and they're 2-dimensional cartoon bad guys.

Jedi turned Sith/Sith turned Jedi seems like the perfect approach; you can move from one side to the other, which means you have a multifaceted character that isn't a Mary Sue/Gary Stu in either direction. (The Force Unleashed did a great job with the Sith turned Jedi approach).

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Sith can be great even if they are pure evil, like Palpatine. You just have to work on their scheme and manipulation. They are evil but also controls their emotion well.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Not trying to be snarky, but what is the point of this discussion? It seems you just made a statement without setting forth an idea to kick around.

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    He does that alot.

Lately I have been finding Jedi a lot more interesting than the Sith simply because the majority of Sith are either A: trying to destroy the Jedi, B: conquer the galaxy/Republic or C: playing the hierarchy. It gets boring after a while.

Jedi on the other hand are not your cardboard box characters. They go through a lot to maintain their serenity so there is much you can do to them to make the characters interesting. Jedi also do a lot of scheming and manipulating themselves, sometimes for personal gain but most of the time to maneuver individuals or events to a favorable outcome for all.

Yoda does that a lot, mostly as a way to teach his students or a stubborn individual. An example of this (and I know Slow will like this) is when he taught Initiate Dooku about his pride and arrogance. Yoda would let the other younglings win at push feather practice but not Dooku. Dooku felt he was being treated unfairly and so went into a match with Yoda intending to lose badly. Yoda declared "I win." before it even started. Dooku learned that Yoda was trying to teach him humility, that there would always be someone stronger than him. There was another lesson in that but I've forgotten it, something to do with his intent to lose on purpose.

But yeah. Jedi are quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Avoid cookie-cutter stereotypes and everyone can be interesting.

*Republic Commando

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well most of the villains got such goal, but their way to achieve it is interesting to write.

Most of the Jedi had rules and they could not do a lot of things through their own scheme and manipulation. Yoda could do some small trick but that's nothing like Plagueis and Sidious' grand plan.

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Not to sound high and mighty, but if you want a discussion, you should state your idea or question, like "Do you prefer writing Jedi or Sith?" and THEN state your opinion. Don't create a thread just to justify your opinion.

That being said, I enjoy writing both Jedi and Sith, though I'll admit that I write Jedi more because Sith - villains in general - are harder for me to write. There is a balance between making them totally bad, and making them 'human'. No one is 100% evil. Palpatine, for example, supported the arts (I'm paraphrasing something Ian McDiarmid said). Huge plots, manipulation and killing people can be fun to write, but for me, it gets tiring.

Jedi, in general are more 'human.' They have weaknesses that can be exploited, and I enjoy exploiting a character's weaknesses.

On a side note, I'm plotting an original novel at the moment and the 'villain' is very much the PT Palpatine. At first glance he is a hero and a kind grandfather, but if you look deeper, he's a dictator and took away fundamental freedoms. His character sheet was quite fun to write.

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Actually Jedi have done such on a grand scale. Revan is an example of this. They manipulated him and events around him so that he would destroy the Sith Empire and the Star Forge. The only difference between the Sith and Jedi is that Sith are trying to take over the galaxy and Jedi are trying to protect it. The Jedi are not "saints". Many have done questionable things you wouldn't think a Jedi would do.

And there have been a lot of Jedi that chafe at the rules and the Code and break them. Dooku, Anakin, Qui-Gon, Tahl, Revan, Bastilla Shan, and Quinlan Vos just to name a few.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm on the opposite side, I can write Sith well and create many plots but got problem with Jedi unless someone who's a lot different then typical Jedi, like Anakin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.