main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So about the boards

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks.
    So does that mean that these IGN hosted boards will not be down once the export starts? That they will still be up and accepting new input/content?

2. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Does this really matter? Are we saving the material for a time capsule? Lets smite this thing and start fresh and new. I'm not sure how many members this board has, but the View Askew board did a complete dump and reboot and has 16,800 something registered users.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm assuming they will be down.

4. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    That would irritate quite a few posters around here for sure. Regarding members here, it's 254,095 according to the Users Online link (tells you how many are online right now out of all registered). Of course, many of those have not come around in years though.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    At this point, personally I just want my user id. Is there a prioritization for what's moved just in case we have to do something quicker?

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The way the database interlinks moving part of it would probably take more time to code than moving the lot. If you look at your post, within that post record at the least is a key link to your user id record and a key link to the thread it's in. In the thread record is a key link to tell what board it's on. In the board record there's a key link to tell what category it's in and et cetera. Also the way the IGN database is set up doesn't map directly to the VBulletin one. Grimby and I both have copies of the schemas for both databases and mapping across is a lot harder than it might sound. (A schema is basically a layout of the records in the database).

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    If the history of this place can be preserved, it should be.

8. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    That's a safe assumption.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not just the history, but the content people have put in, the memorable threads, etc etc.

10. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Especially the content, posts, stories and contributions from people that have passed away.
    Would anyone really want to throw that out because it's 'inconvenient'?

:(

11. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    It would be pretty catastrophic for fanfic, losing our history of stories, as well as any epics in progress. There are epics that have been ongoing for years, and it would be a really terrible thing to have to start over with those. Besides, I have some favourites that I like to go back and read, even though they were posted years ago and the authors don't frequent the boards anymore.

12. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    This. What you're saying would mean user accounts, icons, everything would be gone. Besides, some threads are certainly worth saving for posterity. Just look at the 9-11 or Katrina thread. Getting rid of them would be getting rid of pieves of history.

13. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    But if we get rid of the 9/11 and Katrina threads, we would be erasing those events from history!

14. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    In the event IGN pulls the plug on this place before we're ready to move, my contingency plan would be to take the user tables from the first database export and import those into a temporary forum we can all use until the move can be completed. Of course, this is assuming we are able to extract those tables, which at this present time, we cannot do.

I do have some good news to share, we are finally making some progress on the database conversion. The IGN data from the first export is currently in the process of being converted from raw XML data to a mySQL database and should be completed in the next 24 hours. What that means is that LAJ and I will finally be able to analyze the database tables and map where they need to go into the vBulletin database.

15. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://24.media.tumblr.com/V3plvX2eRqf977jlJUOeGghwo1_400.gif]

Thank you, Grimby, and everyone on board.

Bravo!

16. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    How many total exports are there? I'm not attempting to rush or hurry you guys, I'm just curious the total number of exports required. Or is it not possible to tell at this point?

17. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    All I know for sure is that the database size is about 30GB.

...or were you asking how many times IGN will be exporting our data? They'll be doing one final export for us. They are currently waiting for me to send in the request to shut the boards down and start the export.

18. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    So it's more of exporting a mass of data at once and not so much transfering different sections at a time......

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    That is correct. They basically dumped everything and left it up to us to make sense of it all.

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    So assuming all goes well, it sounds like the move may not be that far off after all. Thanks again, guys. =D=

21. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Sounds promising!

I really would like to thank all the mods who are helping with the move for all they are doing. This is a really great place to descuss Star Wars and I'm grateful to be a part of it. :)

22. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    All excellent points. Probably be a bear of project to switch new and archive all the old somehow in a way that everyone could access it across all the threads.

Too bad we couldn't put this version of the board into a holocron :cool:

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Unreliable. The best thing atm is to use Xany's tool. Sadly, because this exports in an html format, the data size is going to be vastly larger than the size of the actual database.

25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    I'm with you.

Actually, I don't even need that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.