main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So How Much Snow Have You Had?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My area near Heathrow had only had flurries - until last night. Woke up to about 3-4 inches, judging by the amount on the neighbor's cars. And I'm on a side road to no gritters/plows in sight.

It's cold though - I've got my Mark Ecko Fett sweatshirt on with the hood up and a thermal shirt underneath - and that's in the flat. My fan heater is my new best friend until we get a thaw.

Normally continued unemployment doesn't thrill me but when the weather is like this I don't mind not having to brave the elements to get to work.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    In Sussex it's more like 6 or 7 inches. I have to travel to Brighton tomorrow evening - I'm worried I might not make it back the same day.:(

Also, I really need some boots if the weather continues like this.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You might want to check traffic reports before you go. Today I don't think there were many, if any, trains heading that way. And I don't think road conditions were very good either.

It's so bad that Gatwick was shut for a second day. They might re-open tomorrow.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Had quite a bit around greater London. Took my dad 4 hours to get to work instead of the usual half an hour. Fortunately I don't go to work until Saturday and it should have cleared up by that point mostly.

The trains are useless, completely crippled in this weather. Lukcily the Docklands Light Railway still runs.

5. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Too much ;)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/leightoonarmy/Photo129.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/leightoonarmy/Photo132.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/leightoonarmy/Photo135.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/leightoonarmy/Photo133.jpg]

North East is quite bad and it is still falling as I write this lol

Public transport is pretty much non existant in my area because of the snow (I'm not out in the middle of the sticks im in a medium sized town) even today when the road was clear and free of slush/ice/muck the buses did not come :rolleyes: which is really annoying because I've been late for work every day this week grr!

I actually do like snow its just the UK's complete inability to cope that bugs me ;)

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    With trains, it's the outdated powering system that is the trouble. The 3rd rail that delivers power to the train gets covered in ice or snow and the little foot the train has to conduct from it therefore doesn't work. Why we don't have the overheard cables like the rest of Europe I have never understood.

7. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Also in North East but more in the sticks. Been sent home twice early from work and didn't even make it in yesterday.

Win!

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We had some further flurries overnight in my area but no real accumulation. However, I found out what made the tracks in my front garden yesterday. I got up this morning and looked out the bedroom window and there was a fox wandering around near the flat! As I watched he went through the bushes into the next door garden and he was gone.
    Today is just cloudy/cold so far.

Tonight is sounding a bit nasty in the southeast as a front is supposed to come across from the west as rain but it's expected to freeze when it gets to the cold ground in our area. At least most people won't have to commute tomorrow.

Edit - anyone else not getting post? I didn't see our postie yesterday.

9. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    In central London, around the area where I live, we've had about a few centimetres of snow. Now most of it is gone from the streets but when I look out I can see snow on balconies and rooftops. I also noticed when I was out walking yesterday that the gardens have a lot of snow. I quite like it because it makes the evenings and nights less dark.

In regards to mail, I noticed my paper bill for my mobile broadband arrived a little later than usual (about one day late).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We've gotten no post yesterday or today. The road is a sheet of ice at this point though. Hopefully we'll get some thawing over the weekend so the postie can get around.

No further snow today and the sun even came out for a bit around 2pm-ish til it went down.

11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    We've been pretty much snow free down here. Untill this week that is. We have had just enough snow to cause it's share of chaos but, unfortuantely, there hasn't been enough for the kids (big and small[face_whistling]) to go sledging let alone build snowmen and have snowball fights. So we have this bizarely dull atmosphere round here at the moment.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We didn't have enough for sledging either but then it's pretty flat around my area. You could probably have ice skated down the road though.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I ahve to work at the weekend, I'm hoping I don't fall over and die on the way.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Good luck with that. I'm not looking forward to going down to the corner store for the papers in the morning.

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Missed work again today. Schweeeeet :D

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Just started snowed in Manc land again

Bout 2 inches outside for me

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just took a look out the window. (Man, is it cold!) It's mostly cloudy here but not doing anything so far.

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I spent 55 minutes waiting for a bus in the cold in Brighton. It was cccooooollldddd.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    At least you caught the bus. My area is served by Southwest Trains and they had a ton of cancellations.

20. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Got you beat I waited an hour for a bus in Newcastle and it was minus 7.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, I managed to avoid falling on my butt going for the papers. The road and pavements are like an ice rink! Postie braved the ice though - got post about 15 minutes ago.

It's warmer though so I'm hoping the ice melts. I think it was above freezing when I went out earlier. Most of the snow is gone from the garden.

22. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm familiar with the Newcastle winter - you win!

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Heathrow area is getting rain right now. I hope that doesn't freeze overnight...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.