main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, is this an actual rule now.. (Discussing parody threads)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jp-30, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Well, I think it's (again) a two way street. I understand how you guys feel, and that's certainly legitimate. One of a Mod's biggest priorities should be interaction with members of their forum, on as many levels as possible. If the users feel that a mod isn't open to their complaints, or isn't responding to anything they bring up, that mod either needs to start doing those things, or to start communicating that their doing those things. Really, I think that the problem with this mod team lies in the second regard. I know that with myself, when users come to me, I try my hardest to give them a well thought-out response, with a commitment to some sort of action. I'll be the first to admit that I fail at this some times, and that's where the users come in. Patience.

I understand that as mods, we need to always be trying to make the right call, and thinking out everything and communicating everything. But as Roo stated, we make mistakes. And I'm not calling anybody out right now, but I think that both parties in this scenario could benefit from exercising a little patience. As mods, we need to be patient with all users, regardless of whether we disagree with them or not, or our history with them, or whether we think that the issue they are bringing up is important, and we need to listen to users anytime they come to us. As users, we need to understand that mods have a lot of other users coming to them, with a lot of other issues, and are dealing with real life issues as well, and will make mistakes from time to time. Some times, users want contradictory things. Some times, users want things that simply can't be done. Some times, users want things that can be done, and should be done, and a mod doesn't see that because of personal issues or whatever. In all of these situations, a little patience and understanding (on the part of both parties) can go a long way in making sure that these things don't turn into ugly "us vs. them" slug fests, because nobody wants that (even thought it may seem like it, sometimes).

For instance, I'm taking from this discussion that I need to do a better job of a.) listening to advice/complaints from users, b.) letting users know that I'm listening to advice and complaints from them (because more often than not, I think that mods really are listening and are simply not communicating that they are effectively), and c.) being more open to owning up to mistakes that I made, and changing decisions when they're proven to be wrong. I'm going to do my best to work on those (and I'd bet that all the other members of TJCC are as well). But on the same coin, I hope that you guys will be patient with us as we work it out, understanding that there will be some bumps along the way, and that your first assumption of things isn't always the right one. There may be more to the issue than you know about. If we can do this, it seems that everybody wins.

2. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    PRENN, your colors suck.

But I like the way you broke your points into a 3 paragraph system.

3. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Everton, we're making progress so please don't try to drag us back to a day ago. And I disagree with you. But that goes without saying, I suppose.

All I'm looking for is for there to be a genuine chance at getting a decision reversed when I go to a mod.

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I try. Also, I like how Jello and I pretty much posted the same thing at the same time.

Really, we're the same person. But Pink > Purple, any day of the week.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Only making sure I wasn't misunderstood. Just because I happen to sleep and go to work doesn't mean I can't finish up when I get the chance. This is particularly important given that you asked me to clarify.

6. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    Just a bit of Comms humour, Everton.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Hilarious.

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    What the heck, I'll weigh in here:

Parodies:
    Unless we develop a problem where there are more than 4 or 5 parodies, I don't see what the big deal is. If the threads are that worthless, leave 'em alone and they'll be off the front page in no time.

I don't really care for the idea of bringing back the parody title thread, because for me half the fun is looking at the list of threads and seeing the various riffs juxtaposed on top of each other. What's REALLY fun is when I can't tell which thread is the original.

Yes, ideally all parody threads should have clever parody titles AND clever parody opening posts that contain fertile topics for discussion. But sometimes it's fun to make threads knowing full well that they'll be locked.

Mods:
    In my experience, the majority of mods are also users, and consider themselves such. Unfortunately, there are a few who seem to be here JUST to mod, which to me says they ought to resign and leave.

9. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    In future, a simple lol will suffice.

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    You'll take a Hilarious and like it, mister!!!!

11. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    But I don't think that he was being genuine. :(

12. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    I imagined the 'Hilarious' as said by Jeremy Clarkson.

He wouldn't have put one jot of humour in it

13. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    A good mod participates and can be in a good position to be the life of the party. It isn't a mod's job to be the life of the party though, but to uphold the rules. If a mod can do both, more power to her. If I was a mod in the JCC, I would be very unpopular because I would want to enforce the rules to their fullest extent for everyone equally, no matter what drama or consequences might follow.

14. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Wow. So you don't think that any of the current JCC mods enforce the rules to their fullest extent for everyone equally?

You also haven't answered the question of why you think you are better than the users in your community.

Here, I posted this yesterday evening at 7:58pm, board time:

15. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
  16. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    Yep, that's totally what I said. ;)

Yeah, I looked through your message again and still can't find where you asked the question you are wanting me to answer.

Do I think I'm better than all other users? No. I do think I am better at following the rules and showing respect for my fellow users than those who find themselves banned on a regular basis for clearly violating TOS or those who enjoy the thril of seeing just how far into the grey areas of the TOS they can go. Do I think that makes me a better member of the community? No. Sometimes the life of the party is the troublemaker and miscreant. And that's my point. Because a mod is on the side of law and order that puts them at odds with the loudest most difficult members of the community. While I can be a member of the community, I can never fit in with everybody because some people do not want to follow the rules and show respect for their fellow users. If you are a user, you can be neutral - and let everyone just be. If you are a mod, you eventually have to hit troublemakers with the ban and edit sticks.

Now what does this have to do with the subject of the thread? I've lost track... I hope there is a comms mod who can help us get back on track. :)

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    LL, there have been a wide variety of moderators over the years here. You and I would have had some serious disagreements had we been in the Mod Squad at the same time, just as I had actual disagreements over moderating philosophy and practice with my fellow moderators in 2002-04 and again in 2005. Without knowing you well, I can tell that you lean more toward an authoritarian view and believe pretty strongly in the importance of the letter of the law. That's fine, but just remember that some superb moderators in the MS's history have taken a different view of things, along with members who contributed much and never became moderators.

My point is that people see the community and a moderator's role in a variety of lights, and it's important to be aware of that.

From a practical standpoint, I note that activity around here has fallen off radically over the past couple years. A single day's total posts in 2004 covers almost a full work week here now. It would be wise to do things that cause people to want to post more, not less. I'm not saying what that might be, nor have I particularly though it out much, but it's almost too obvious to point out that the disappearance of even a few active people noticeably impacts a forum now.

18. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Folks, just a reminder that the discussion in this thread should currently be focusing on parody threads in the YJCC forum.

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Ah, irony...

20. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    GK edit: That's more than enough.

21. MaidenLumpe

MaidenLumpe VIP star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 13, 2000
    So would it be best to start a new thread about how the best way to approach moderators when you have a concern about a decision they made?

22. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    It would be best to first communicate respectfully with them via PM.

23. MaidenLumpe

MaidenLumpe VIP star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 13, 2000
    Right but what we can do in addition to that is how we got on this track of discussion - Jello, Grimby, and Prenn have all posted on that issue, which is how we got on the current train of discussion.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't think halting an evolving discussion is very productive. I mean, when a group of people are having a talk, the conversation naturally evolves and several topics are covered... in a good conversation anyway. That's what this forum is here for... communication.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    GK: The JC is slowly dying. Holding firm to old rules may not be the best approach to take right now.

Anyway, I've no stake in this, and I'll be moving on regardless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.