main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So Mace Windu isn't Dead when he gets pushed out of the window...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darksithlord99, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    >>>> Also, please note that both Leoanrd_Shelby and Wrongway have resorted to personal derision. I know you're fair-minded enough to discipline them.

Neither post seemed to be directed at any one individual, JJP.

I rather thought that they had resorted to GENERAL derision....

;)

-JR :)

2. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 5, 2004
    We saw a robotic Darth Maul in Visionaries and Durge and Asajj in Clone Wars vol7 after they died in the cartoons. Palpatine's spirit enters a clone and he endures even turning Luke to the dark side in the EU. Why on earth would it be any different with Mace? He simply returns with a golden arm and loses to Palpatine or Vader again. A year from now in some comic, I believe.

3. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    To me, the EU is a fun "What If..." parrallel universe. I can't accept ANY of it as fact for the specific reason that many of its stories directly contradict or diminish the poignancy and drama of many of my favorite scenes in the movies.

To say that Mace survived (or for that matter: Ki-Adi, or Aayla Secura, Boba Fett etc...), dimishes the effect of the scene.

Its like watching the end of Casablanca and telling your teary eyed girlfriend: "Oh don't worry- they get back together in a year or two. It says so in the sequel by so-and-so author. :-B "

Thanks A LOT for ruining the drama for me...

4. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    The diffence, and I'm so glad you asked, is that we are here now discussing it in 2006 when Mace is dead.
    D E A D.
    All sources say he is dead.
    All official sources explicitly say he is dead.

When some EU author decides to dig up Mace's corpse and piss all over the remnants - then, and only then, can you say: "Look - Mace is alive, it says so in this Frito Lay tie-in four-page special entitled 'Mace in your face'!!!"

Now, in 2006, you are just putting the cart before the horse.
    Until someone revives Mace, he is dead, otherwise it is not a "revival", is it?
    As you said yourself - these other characters were revived in the EU after they were dead.
    So which is Mace - dead or revived?

5. Darth-Natas

Darth-Natas Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    Mace wasn't dead when he went out the window...but he was dead when he hit the ground. [face_skull]

6. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    That should be "difference".

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Darth Maul's resurrection is Inifinities. That mean it's not canon. That's the only time a Star Wars author can resurrect the dead. The genesis of "Visionaries" is that a number of ILM's concept artists were doing different designs for AOTC and ROTS. Lucas never used any of these. Lucasbooks decided to publish these to show us what ILM would do, before Lucas gave everyone a direction. They are not in anyway part of the official Star Wars lore.

Durge and Asajj Ventress were already alive in the eu, before the cartoon came out. They both debuted in volume one of the Clone Wars comics, which debuted months before the cartoon aired. Chapters 5 and 6 take place before AOTC. Chapters 17-19 was not the death of Ventress, because she was already alive in the comics. Same with Durge.

Anyway, Lucas didn't create Durge and Ventress. They're eu exclusive. Thus as I said, the folks at Lucasbooks could kill and ressurect them at their lesiure. But they cannot do that to the film characters. After "Dark Empire", the policy of no resurrecting the dead was added. When the Infinities label was added, they were allowed to do what they want, since it has no impact on the canon lore. Thus they can kill Luke, have Leia become a Sith Lord, have Vader fight Maul's clone, have the cast of ANH in a Breakfest Club spoof, etc.

8. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    I agree this thread is on it's last leg I believe

9. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    mace windu is dead because if he wasnt then samuel L Jackson could use it to highten up badass image for "the man 2" [face_dancing]

10. Crazy_Old_Kermit

Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    Does anyone out there that believes Mace did not die in ROTS believe that Bail did not die in ANH?

11. Greedo_forever

May 24, 2005
    Based on the existence of threads like this one and others like "Aayla Secura LIVES!", I'd have to reply that:

Yes, there ARE people out there who outright dismiss the dramatic integrity of the films. :D

12. Crazy_Old_Kermit

Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    It's just that I have a feeling that a lot of people who believe Mace is alive believe that Bail is in fact dead.

Now due to the "logic" of people on this board, if you don't see a body then the person might be alive.

Yet, we never see Bail's body, so the guy still might be alive.

It's just that the line of thinking "no body, not dead" carries with it many flaws and plot holes. Seriously, as strange as it is to have someone maybe come back, it's really just cheap and ignorant storytelling.

13. Greedo_forever

May 24, 2005
    Ha HA! SOOO many villains have fallen down bottomless cliffs, been "inside" explosions and shot into the vacuum of space, each one screaming: "G'AAAHHH! This isn't the last you've seen of MEEEEEEeeeee!"

Basically the "no body, not dead" scenerio is used many times for villains (and works), but rarely for heroes. Mace's death, to me, was more worthy of a "Curses! Foiled again!" kind of villain.

14. uwishuwereme

uwishuwereme Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2005
    Star Wars Databank for Bail Organa

"Bail sent Leia on a mission to locate Obi-Wan Kenobi and recruit him into the Alliance to help face the Death Star challenge. Leia failed, and her mission was eventually picked up by Luke Skywalker. Bail Organa was killed when the Death Star destroyed Alderaan. http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/bailorgana/index.html

15. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    exactly..and the databank says mace is dead.....hes dead until some brainless author decides to create more eu movie wars by brining mace back for no other reason then to kill him again..pointeles

16. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    But, as Sin has been trying to point out - the EU authors have a new mandate from Lucasfilm.
    Gone are the days when Palps and Fett can be brought back from the grave ad hoc.
    Only in the Infinites series can authors be so bold, any resurrections will be purely non-canonitical.

17. Darth-Natas

Darth-Natas Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    Shattered and bloody, no doubt, as well.

Best to leave the fiction of Mace being alive from that scene to the writers of EpIII.1.

18. Kirk_Kanos

Kirk_Kanos Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2006
    Have to agree this has been dicused to death.

this topic is as dead as Mace.

19. JarJarPlagueis

JarJarPlagueis Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2005
    If a user can avoid violating the rules simply by not naming the person(s) he's attacking, then you may as well dispense with the rules altogether. I don't personally attack others with different viewpoints, either by name or "in general," and they should be held to the same standard.

20. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Mace Windu lives!!!!!:eek::oops: [face_liarliar][face_laugh]

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Obviously some people don't read. :rolleyes:

22. JarJarPlagueis

JarJarPlagueis Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2005
    Bail might have survived. It entirely depends on whether or not he was an Alderaan at the time? While the lack of a body isn't conclusive proof that a character is alive, it leaves open the possibility.

This is not the case for characters whose bodies we see, such as Maul or Dooku. They're gone for good.[face_pig]

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Bail Organa is dead, because he was on Alderaan. It's said throughout the film. Leia was to take Obi-wan to Alderaan to see Bail. Commander Willard confirms that Bail was on Alderaan.

24. bad4good

bad4good Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    Speaking of Bail....how is Leia a princess if Bails not the king? How can he be married to the Queen and not be king?

25. Greedo_forever

May 24, 2005
    ...maybe Bail was elected King?

Or maybe on that planet princess is just a special title for a woman with particular political powers. As in Machiavelli's "The Prince": which isn't about a specific feudalistic role, but a concept, a series of guidelines for someone in a position of power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.