main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So what film do you think will screw AOTC out of the VFX Oscar for this year?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by King of all Jedi, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King of all Jedi

King of all Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2000
    We all know Episode 1 was robbed. Say what you will about the rest of the film, but ILM should've won for Watto and Jar Jar alone.

So, will Lord of the Rings take AOTC's Oscar, or maybe Spider-Man?

What do you guys think?

2. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    MIB2 with borrowed fx from SW.

3. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    "Ice Age"...seriously.

:D

4. Count_Draku

Count_Draku Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    If the two towers is sufficiently popular in december, it will win. If not, then Spiderman. It is, however, a foregone conclusion that AOTC will not win anything.

5. SpiffSolo

SpiffSolo Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    Will LOTR be in the same category since it was a 01 release. Well, I guess that wouldn't matter with Two Towers coming out, so forget that. Two Towers could. Spider Man could. Don't forget Minority Report, it's supposed to have some good shots. And ILM did MIIB didn't they? So there's some good competition.
    On a similar note, John Williams did the music for Minority Report, so he could be up against himself for original score or a similar one.

6. King of all Jedi

King of all Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2000
    Yeah, I meant The Two Towers. I still consider it Lord of the Rings because, well, it is, as are the other two parts.

But I'm sure y'all knew that.
    ;)

7. another_jedi_wannabe

another_jedi_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    how are those even timed? sometimes it seems there is a movie that has been out for years that get's an award. it'll be one of the LOTR movies. if not minority report for kicks

8. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    LOTR was already nominated for Oscars in March 2002. So Two Towers will now be nominated next year.

AOTC will either be robbed by Spider-man or Two Towers.

9. Jangofat

Jangofat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    LOTR TTT

10. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Funny thing is the academy seems to pick movies where you can blatantly see the FX. While really FX that you can't see take more skill. That's why the Matrix won because it was so obvious an effect.

11. another_jedi_wannabe

another_jedi_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    BTW,
    LOTR refers to ALL of the movies.
    fellowship of the rings
    two towers
    return of the king

just sayin. ;)

hey, see any similarities between these and the OT?? hehe

12. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    LOTR- that movie is just plain perfect. the SFX is transparent, you dont notice them unless you look, though the troll scene was the only obvious one. lol, knowing lucas, if he did LOTR, he would have used digital crap to shorten the hobbits instead of the much better camera tricks :)

13. OneTruth

OneTruth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    I felt a lot of Spiderman's effects were horribly noticeable. BAD noticeable. I?d say Two Towers.

14. Whorton99

Whorton99 Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2001
    If AOTC, Spider-Man, and Two Towers are nominated, I think Spider-Man will win since the current trend has the award going to the nominee with the worst effects. Nothing against Spider-Man - it just didn't do anything innovative with it's effects.

Last year FOTR beat Pearl Harbor and AI, even though ILM put some of the best effects shots ever in PH. The year before it was Gladiator over Hollow Man and Perfect Storm. And, obviously, the Matrix over TPM was the biggest travesty of them all - and let's not forget the sound effects screwing as well!

15. Gungan_Lover

Gungan_Lover Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    Unless we see something better come out this year, it would be an outrage if AOTC lost in the effects category.

Spiderman was nothing special. Ice Age was okay but it's a cartoon, so I think it could only win for animated film.

I don't think Minority report or SOAF will be good enough, but TTT is a possibility, and so is MIBII.

16. Lord_Gage

Lord_Gage Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    How Spiderman could win is beyond me.

Ya see, Spiderman didn't focus on it's special effects, it focused more on it's casting--err.. okay wait, bad example. They focused on their origional story li-* hmmph! *thinks* Deep plot, memorible moments - geez, this is harder to find good points for than the X-box.

Oh wait, I got one! Marketing Campaign! Ya can't sell a lackluster movie without a giant ad campaign! (godzilla, ... every movie Will Smith has been in... Scary Movie 2 *goes on and on)

17. Whorton99

Whorton99 Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2001
    Ezekial -

"LOTR- that movie is just plain perfect. the SFX is transparent, you dont notice them unless you look, though the troll scene was the only obvious one."

Can I add all the battle scenes as well? And any shot involving a castle?

"lol, knowing lucas, if he did LOTR, he would have used digital crap to shorten the hobbits instead of the much better camera tricks"

Peter Jackson used plenty of "digital crap" to pull off the scale of the hobbits.

18. Batman49

Batman49 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I agree, Spider-Man's effects weren't great and the Green Goblin looked horrible. But hey I'm a Batman/Superman/Star Wars fan so I'm biased. :D Hopefully ILM will take it with AOTC or maybe Minority Report. MIB II has a chance as well. I'd even prefer LOTR TTT win if the effects are as good as FOTR just not Spidey.

19. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Wow it's like ILM loses everytime but really the fx are the best.

FOTR was not better than Pearl Harbor or AI, but both were done by ILM.

Gladiator vs. the Perfect Storm (which was ILM) and Gladiator won, but the Perfect Storm probably should've.

Lets not even mention the last one.

EZ what camera trick? They even talked about the software they used to make the Hobbits appear small. Your bashing has made you believe that anything Lucas does just HAS to be inferior to anything else and that Lucas does it unnaturally and no one else uses cg.

20. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    See, here's the thing. I would love to say Star Wars, but I will bet you anything it's the Two Towers that will win it.

However, I don't think the TT will win a lot this year. It will probably be a repeat of last year. I am assuming the whole LOTR series makes a clean sweep after ROTK comes out.

As for Star Wars...heh, it never wins :(

21. Ezekial

May 24, 2002
    no actually peter jackson mostly used tricks such as having the elijah wood stand on his knees during shots (snow mountain scene) and using camera angles (gandolf cart) and having the human and elf characters stand on boxes to make them look look taller and the hobbits shorter (council). so for the height of the hobbits, its mostly camera tricks. and the battle scenes looked mighty realistic to me, more realistic than the AOTC one.

22. Ender_needs_Bean

Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Realistically, I don't think anybody should touch AOTC, but the academy likes clever use of both new and old technologies.

Bullet-timing was an incredible breakthrough, because of it's sheer simplicity. It's completlely REAL which is why it looks so impressive. Also, if ever there was a need to showcase such an interesting camera technique, the matrix was it!

Peter Jackson and Weta are impressive because they use a lot of older techniques like advanced miniatures and layer upon layer of motion control. However, the hidden gem of LOTR has to be the their copywriting of UNREAL'S proprietary softwear, "MASSIVE." The softwear essentially allows thousands of characters to work independently through the use of basic A.I.

It's going to be a two horse race. The Two Towers, or AOTC, but AOTC has more obvious effects, and 3D characters, so I give it the nod...

23. Ezekial

May 24, 2002
    one thing

FOTR?

24. Whorton99

Whorton99 Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2001
    Ezekial, I didn't say Jackson used no in-camera effects for the hobbits, I said he used plenty of digital techniques as well.

"and the battle scenes looked mighty realistic to me, more realistic than the AOTC one."

More realistic than AOTC? I can see there's no debating effects with you...

25. Ezekial

May 24, 2002
    u mentioned digital hobbits. name the scenes where they are. from my understanding, the hobbits were done through camera tricks and such.

and the battle scene in LOTR is better, though AOTC is good too. after all, humans fighting with axes and swords and staves has actually happened, while humans wearing white armor and firing with magical lightning guns hasnt. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.