main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC so what is the 2011 oscar buzz?

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Undeserved? The Artist is a great movie. It's far better than any of the other nominations anyway. Uggie the Dog should have a nomination, he stole the show in that film.

Shame about TinTin not being nominated, Rango should win though because it was by far the best of the bunch.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Better than Hugo, Tree of Life, or Moneyball? Hell no. More likely to win because of its utterly inoffensive structure and "but-not-too-artsy" gimmick? Absolutely.

3. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    if tree of life doesn't win best cinematography, i will gouge out the eyes of every single member of the academy.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    No. It'll win because it's a simple joyous idea executed to perfection. You don't need to be pushing the envelope to be considered worthwhile.

Plus, it's better than those three anyway.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Hugo is OK, a decent enough family film but there were numerous better movies in 2011. It's not one of Scorsese's best works.

I want to know why We Need to Talk About Kevin isn't nominated, or Drive.

I didn't realistically expect Rise of the Planet of the Apes to be up for Best Film, but it deserves to win something as it was easily better than some of the movies nominated in its place.

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Every year I think to myself "Maybe this will be the year that the Academy wises up and nominates something that people actually enjoy instead of the same Oscar-bait style films year after year". And every year I'm proven wrong. :(

7. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Good, enjoyable, and popular are all not interchangeable.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    While 2011 had a fair collection of films with really well handled special effects, I am rather aghast at Captain America not being considered for the spectacular job their artists did of transforming Chris Evans into a 5 foot tall, 90 pound asthmatic.

And, I agree with those who said Tintin got snubbed. Although, I'm glad the soundtrack is nominated. It is one of my favorite Williams scores of the past decade +.

9. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    People actually care about worthless soundtrack awards? Who knew :p

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They aren't worthless to those who win, guys like John Williams haven't won enough anyway considering the quality of work.

Williams is up for 2 films so arguably he has a better chance than the others of winning, although The Artist probably will win and should win.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I sincerely don't. I think the Oscars are a sham. My diatribes on the subject are available in earlier posts. But, since the list was graciously posted, I figured I would attempt to not miss out on the riveting discussion. I haven't 'cared' about anything I enjoy winning since Willem Dafoe's Nosferatu makeup from Shadow of the Vampire lost to Jim Carrey as the Grinch. Affrontery.

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I got excited when reading this post but Calculus isn't even in the movie! That was Silk the pickpocket.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Of the Best Picture noms, I've seen The Artist, The Descendants, and Moneyball thanks to the SAG screeners I stole from my brother. They were all quite good, but none really stood out as "amazing" to me or anything. The Artist was too straight an imitation of a film from the silent era. I kept hoping it would have a more 2011 edge to it. Moneyball was too much talking about something I don't particularly care for. The Descendants was too... Clooney? I dunno, I didn't think it was perfect for some reason. Maybe it was Beau "The Poor Man's Jeff" Bridges. I also have The Help, though from what I've heard I don't think I'll like it.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The last time I got really excited/giddy/was extremely happy about an Oscar win was when Scorsese won for Best Director/The Departed winning Best Picture. I may go giddy* again if Pitt wins for Moneyball.

*aside from my giddiness to see Billy Crystal back as host.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I know it was Silk. What I meant was how they utilized plot devices specific only to Red Rackham's Treasure (in particular, St John the Evangelist and the globe in the cellar), but didn't introduce Calculus. Calculus is my favorite of Herge's characters, so I was hoping he would at least be introduced. But, as soon as Jackson closes shop on the Hobbit he begins directing... not Prisoners of the Sun, as was originally announced as the sequel... but The Calculus Affair. To that, I say 'word'.

I thought Secret of the Unicorn was superb, by the way.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Wait, War Horse got nominated for Best Picture? [face_plain] *smh*

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

17. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Most of the movies (if not all) were beyond horrible.

Then again, that's par for the course of an award program with a bad reputation of respectable winners :p

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Bizarre opinion.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The Artist? I love Prince movies.

Under the Cherry Moon not so much.

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    LOOK HOW EDGY I AM I THINK ALL OF THEM ARE BAD

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, now I have to see War Horse....

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Tin Tin was better than War Horse, and even that shouldn't be up for Best Film.

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    My predictions: Industry politics and back room dealing will triumph over quality or integrity.

And I hate the ads that just show the award without actually saying anything about the movie.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Just crossing my fingers that Rango gets best animated.

25. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So I haven't seen any of the films nominated this year at all, except for the first half hour of Bridesmaids which my family watched as a screener on Christmas. I left the room because I disliked the movie so much. Just couldn't get into it at all.

I haven't even heard of a good number of these films before this thread, so I'm going to have to look them up, and I'll probably try to watch at least all of the Best Picture wins before the Oscars. I'll get through as many of the nominations as I can, though. I enjoy the Oscars. Even though I often disagree with their choices, I find it to (usually) be a fun show with (mostly) great films being celebrated. While I will always have some irritation with them for as long as they continue to (usually) snub science-fiction, fantasy, animated films, comedies, and foreign language films (and I'm kind of annoyed with their treatment of documentaries too, though I can at least understand why they handle those the way they do) that doesn't make the films they do honor any less good.

The only thing I'm worried about is the nominations for Transformers. Just because if it manages to win any of them, the DVD will be able to see "Academy Award Winner" as a form of vindication. It'll already be able to say "Multiple Academy Award Nominated Film" or something of that nature...gurgh.

Oh, and I think the Original Score category is actually more important than quite a few others. While a great score can't save a bad film by itself, it is usually quite essential when it comes to creating emotional resonance and bringing audiences into the world of the film, in my opinion more closely intertwined to the meat of the storytelling aspects (writing, acting, and editing) than any other part of the film.

But the Best Original Song category is the least important one in all the Oscars if you're talking about gauging a film's actual quality.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.