main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC so what is the 2011 oscar buzz?

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I thought most of it was bleh. The humur was plain bad.

I am thrilled that Christopher Plummer got his award for Beginners, but it's subject is one I don't condone. I watched it as character/writing research for the story I'm writing that deals with the journey of healing of a sexually confused and all around abused man. Plummer's char in this film gave me the idea for the char that is mentor to my abused one. A man that has turned from homosexuality rather than embracing it as his char did in the film. Yet, why I believe he deserves his win is because he gave his character a very human spirit. Well done, Sir. =D= And well done for showing that elders still got it! :D

The Help and Hugo, dad and I will be renting soon.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Didn't see it as it was on too late here in the UK (and I'm trying to get over a cold so I need all the rest I can get). However, I checked the Winners List on BBC News and was happy to see that Rango got the Best Animation award. I saw the film when it premiered on Sky Movies and liked it. I'm glad I didn't pay cinema prices to see it but I thought it was nicely done.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I am suprised Clooney didn't win Best Actor, not because he should have but because the Academy is like that. Obviously The Artist was going to win and it should have given the films it was up against. The Academy was always going to recognise technically brilliant and critcally loved movies as it should, and The Artist topped that ahead of the rest of the field (especially the almost universally panned Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close)

It had a good score, a shame that Williams was up against it otherwise I think he would have won for War Horse.

Rango was the right winner for Best Animation (I would have put it over Tintin too but that should at least have been nominated).

Streep was a lock to win Best Actress, nice to see Plummer get an Award.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I took one bathroom break during the broadcast last night, and it came during when Midnight in Paris won that Best Original Screenplay Oscar. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :p I very much enjoyed the Cirque du Soleil number, and though Christopher Plummer & Octavia Spencer had really nice acceptance speeches. Was surprised to see the show last barely over 3 hours, and though I haven't seen The Iron Lady, I was very happy to see Streep's losing streak come to an end. As for Crystal, it wasn't near any of his best Oscar hosting work, but it was still a good performance, which was all I was expecting/asking for. I'd rather have him (or Steve Martin, Hugh Jackman, Alec Baldwin or Whoopi Goldberg) host than someone who is picked to appeal/get the younger crowd. So Crystal was a "safe" pick (though I still was a bit annoyed when Murphy dropped out........was looking forward to see how he would do).............so what? And James Ear Jones amongst the 3 Governors Award winners? Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :cool:

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't get to see the show because I was on set yesterday. Although I've never cared less about a year of films (particularly when my favorites weren't nominated), I would like to know what bits of the show I should look up and watch clips of. That way I don't have to see the whole thing.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Ahahahaha.

[image=http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/20129/sw.jpg]

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    [image=http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2012/2/27/10/enhanced-buzz-7117-1330356601-40.jpg]

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Is he really short or something? Looks like he's wearing heels. :p

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

It's boring. Really. Really boring.

Oh and Ron Howard's daughter eats human ****. Literally.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    He's got enough meat on his bones to pull it off better, too.[face_love]

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I'd go with the Cirque du Soleil performance, the Plummer & Spencer acceptance speeches, and the Rose Byrne/Melissa McCarthy's bit when they presented an Oscar (I forget for which category).

12. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Didn't watch, wasn't surprised. Disappointed that Lubezki didn't get the oscar for Tree of Life and that TTSS didn't nab anything (I think time will reveal that film to be much more significant than its stateside reception has suggested), no one will remember The Artist next month, and Oldman would've been a better fit for Best Actor over Dujardin. Doing a silent might be "brave" in some sense, but I think the way Oldman allowed himself to recede so far as to become almost a part of the scenery, while still remaining compelling was a way harder trick to pull off. Slightly confused that there was "no time for the best original song nominees to perform" but there was time for an extended Cirque du Soleil dance piece about the "magic of the movies," or something. Jim Rasch automatically wins the Oscars forever, although personally I would've given the nod to TTSS (again) for building a textured reciprocal narrative out of Le Carré's sprawling shoptalk. Hopefully Community finds some way to capitalize.

Also well done on Woody Allen for winning and not showing up! Again!

Conclusions:

1) Watching Once Upon A Time In America instead of the ceremony allowed me to celebrate cinema by spending four hours soaking in one of its finest achievements, while reading websites the day after allowed me to react to the Awards without wading through the "spectacle". Will Have to do this again.

2) I am more fond of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy than I at first realized.

EDIT: I wish Meryl Streep would be awarded for actually acting instead of doing caricatures.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Once Upon A Time In America is a very, very good film. A bit overrated, though. The pacing is horrible in it. And of course, for the reasons why you didn't watch (the spectacle aspect) is precisely why I watched, even with another event* that was going on at the exact same time that pulls at the heart strings of my passion for the the things I like in life.

*NBA All Star game

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Agreed on these points. Though I haven't seen The Artist, it seems a bit gimmicky 'Hey look! We're making a black and white silent movie! We're so different!' Gary Oldman's silent, pondering performance was awesome in TTSS, a taut espionage movie that delivers intense intrigue while making you pay attention to it. It was fascinating, and I'm impressed enough to read the book.

And Rooney Mara should have won. Meryl Streep shouldn't win another Oscar for, as you say, doing caricatures.

But what do I know, I thought 127 Hours should have won Best Picture last year.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  16. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't know if its overrated, if anything I think its overlooked by most people. Can't agree about the pacing, but I think that's a "your mileage may vary" thing. There's something I enjoy about contemplatively paced films with complex flashback structures. I'm also a huge Leone fan. And James Woods may never have been better than he was in that film.

The "spectacle" (stressing the scare quotes) isn't why I didn't watch. I'm always down for well done spectacle in service of something, but the "spectacle" of the Oscars has been increasingly flat in recent years, and that's actually just kind of depressing to me, and reeks of desperation. It used to seem like something to me, but now it doesn't. But that's just me.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If Cirque Du Soleil wanted to do a piece about going to the movies it should have involved a lot of standing in lines, spilling popcorn, texting through the entire movie and then yelling at hard-working ushers for no good reason whatsoever.

At least that's how I would have done it :p

18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Iris, the show that they were referring to, is awesome. The bit they did at the Oscars wasn't in the show, but the other stuff was all really cool. And I presume it was included at the request of the Kodak Theater because it's currently showing there.

19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Same here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.