main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion So, yeah... Simon Kinberg....

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by IG_2000, Feb 11, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually like X-Men 3 just because it does big, crazy, depowering, characters dying off, etc. which is actually more in the vibe of most X-Men comics than the first two flicks, which are great, but are more about setting up the world and playing with the thematic subtext and rules of the world. But if you sit down and read, like, any X-Men comic that's like a big number (50, 100), a relaunch, an annual, a mini-series, X-Men characters are dying and being reborn constantly. It's like their thing. This is a small thing that apparently I only dug.

DarthBoba and Vthuil like this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The only thing that seriously bothered me was the contrived romance. I mean, Jean and Logan were over as of X-Men 2. They'd gone their separate ways before they died, even. X3 ignored that.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Such as?

Even though Logan knew she wasn't planning on leaving Scott, he still had feelings for her. That much is evident from his reaction to her death. X3 ignored nothing. The only going of separate ways was her "death". In fact, to pretend that Logan would not react the way he did in X3 would be to ignore what was previously established about the characters. Here X3 is alleged to have ignored X1-X2 because of the fact that it did not ignore X1-X2.

Also... they died?

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    X-Men 3 was actually the last superhero film I enjoyed now that I think about it. Yet another example of my contrary nature as it applies to "geek" films.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Aww, typo-sniping. I'll be ignoring the rest of your post.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's not a typo - it's unlikely that you were trying to type "she" but your fingers accidentally hit the keys for "they" instead.
    For some reason, you referred to multiple characters dying, and that sounded like it could be about Jean and Scott in X3 as opposed to Jean and Logan in X2. I assume by calling it a typo it was meant to refer to Jean and Logan?

X3 ignored nothing, while the "went their separate ways before they died and that's final" argument ignores part of X2. If you're looking for an X-Men film that blatantly ignores earlier films in the series, there is such a film, but it's not X3. They still cared about continuity at that point.

And what exactly about the plot failed to make sense?