main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Wow, talk about moving quickly. Sony is said to unveil its Playstation 4 on February 20th, 2013 at one of their media events. With a launch date for Fall 2013. That's incredible, and pretty fast. My PS3 still feels like new. And the fact that they considered ditching a disk tray, if that turns out to be true, jeez. That doesn't bode well at all. If consoles ever go that way, sign me out. I won't pay unless I actually own it. No thank you greedy bastards.

A link; http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013...y-set-to-make-announcement-at-feb-20-meeting/

http://gizmodo.com/5980759/wsj-yes-sony-will-announce-the-playstation-4-on-february-20th

The WSJ also reports that Sony will try to throw in more "social gaming aspects" in the PS4, focusing more on how people "interact with the machine" than the sheer hardware power of the system. Sony had considered ditching the disk drive and using game downloads but decided that video game file sizes would be too large and Internet connections may be too slow to handle the load. Which means we can still expect the ol' disk bay to be in the PS4. The announcement of the PS4 will beat Microsoft's Xbox 360 successor to the punch, it's unclear if the actual next generation system will too. Both are expected to launch by this holiday season.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I wonder if it will play PS3 games. I'm still on a PS2.

BoromirsFan and CloneTrooperFox like this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Same here.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Same too. Also I heard somewhere that Star Wars 1313 is coming out on PS4. Anyone know if it is offical?

BoromirsFan likes this.
  5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Thinking about going PC/PS4 next-gen, so I'm interested to see what Sony's gonna do with it. My 360 has been collecting dust ever since I built my gaming PC, I doubt I'll get the next one any time soon after it releases.

6. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    I've heard there will, yet again, be no backwards compatibility. Which seems like suicide, but that report comes from the same people who originally ran this news, so who knows.

As for Star Wars 1313, yes, there was a supposed briefing where 1313 was said to be pushed back for the PS4. I don't believe that, though. I would bet that 1313 was already being developed for the PS4, and no one wanted to let the cat out of the bag. This is Sony's ploy to get the jump on Microsoft.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Cool....time to get a PS3. :p

BoromirsFan, Blithe and Life like this.
  8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Not sure I'd ever see them ditching Blu-ray, if they do, that's a really bad sign. Not sure I see them releasing this year either (well, its either them or Microsoft next), but it might be possible, but unless the first batch has PS2 compatibility built in, I doubt I'm going to pick one up anytime soon. :p You'd think they keep PS3 capability in there, but who knows how hardware works. Although everyone is pushing for digital games a lot more these days (such as Sony including some full games with Plus membership each month), but if it goes all digital... yeah, not sure I would care that much.

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks. Although the really big occasion will be E3, so possibly an announcement this month and then more details at their show later in the year.

9. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    That's what made me doubt it aswell. I mean, most of my friends have blu-ray because of the PS3. But dropping a disk tray all together, removing blu-ray features? Jeez, that just sounds like bad business. It's another greedy corporation wanting to desperately keep hiking their game prices and destroy the used industry, and to that I say **** you. I will not buy a game unless I have a physical copy, I'm not spending sixty bucks on a game that could be removed at a moment's notice. It's absurd.

Beyond that, a 2013 release is possible, rumors started two years ago that developers, e.g. Naughty Dog, were given PS4 dev kits. So a 2013 release, in November, I could see maybe happening. As for E3, less and less people are giving that event the time of day, plus, Microsoft always leads into that show. So this is actually brilliant marketing; beating Microsoft to the bunch for a big announcement, and if it is due out this holiday, they need to start the campaign SOON, so yeah.

10. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I'm not going to purchase a PS4 just to play 1313. I fart in your general direction, Lucasarts. I seem to have done that a lot lately.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    i'm sure it will also be on the PS3 as well, companies will keep releasing games onto the 360 and PS3 even when the new consoles come out

12. DarthLazious28273

DarthLazious28273 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2013
    If it can play PS1,PS2 or PS3 besides PS4 games then I'm gonna buy it in a new york minute.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think PS1 and PS2 would be pushing it, but I'd think it should play PS3 games at the least.

14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I would buy it if it can do that. The reason I dont have a PS3 is because of no PS2 backward compatibility.

15. Seren

Seren Jedi Knight

Aug 8, 2011
    Its been almost 7 years since the ps3 came out. I'm wondering about how much the ps4 will cost. A friend of mine bought a ps3 when it came of for $900. I bet the ps4 will be in the 1k range. Either way its awesome that Sony will be releasing the ps4 soon. I wonder what the graphics for ps4 games will be like? FF13 and 13-2 were the pinnacle in graphics for the ps3 in my opinion.

16. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    If Sony was willing to actually ditch the disk tray, I really don't think they give a damn about backwards compatibility, at all. And that's a damn shame. It's like these damn companies just want to rub it in the consumers face; "haha, you're just wasting your money on just barely evolved tech". I can't stand it. Of course, I bought my PS3 Slim when it was only 250 dollars. I will not, ever, dish out near a thousand bucks for entertainment. I shop smart, and I believe most other consumers do as well.

Unfortunately, compatibility with the PS1 and PS2 is a no go. The PS3, and the PS4 by extension, use a system and cell processor that does not recognize those old disks. It's just an era that's gone at this point.

Saintheart likes this.
  17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Did anybody get mad that the SNES didn't play NES games or the Gamecube didn't play N64 games? I don't understand this modern obsession with backwards compatibility.

Anyway 'so soon'? This console generation has been going for years already.

Seren likes this.
  18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    This guy probably did:

[​IMG]

19. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    lol owned.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not sure if it's reasonable per se, but both the original PS2 and PS3 had backward compatibility with the previous generation. So I think expecting that the PS4 follow suit isn't exactly a wild notion. It's also because they use optical disc formats whereas the NES/SNES/N64 used very different cartridges. And it's something consumers see with Blu-ray players which are universally backward compatible with CD's and DVD's-- yes, I know that playing games requires more hardware. Hell, PS4 will presumably use a kind of Blu-ray, so that would probably make backward compatibility much easier.

That said, I'm probably going to skip this console generation. I've started to become a PC snob.

21. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    They only had backwards compatibility by including the guts of the previous console hardward. The PS2 used a PS1 as a sound chip, IIRC. PS3 had backward compatibility with the PS2 for about 10 minutes comparatively. They had to basically include an entire PS2 in the unit for no other reason. They later took it out. (It's powerful enough to do PS1 emulation via software so it still has that).

Speaking of your last comment...I have PS1 and PS2 backward compatibility by virtue of owning a powerful PC. :p

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, that was pretty damn impressive. I had no idea it would be that long. I still haven't seen all of it, but I read the stats from early on and wow. First thoughts:

1) The Wii U is screwed. I love Nintendo but they may go the way of Sega.

2) Destiny, eh? So what you're saying is XBOX has literally no exclusives anymore. While Playstation still has Naughty Dawg and Quantic Dream making things I love exclusively for Sony. Check.

3) No focus on motion, touch screens, etc. Thank God. Someone's got to let old school hardcore gamers be old school hardcore gamers.

4) I still wish this were PS3 compatible. I don't really want to have to make space for both a PS4 and my PS3 in my entertainment system for years to come because I have PS3 games I still keep playing (Uncharted especially).

5) Kind of disappointed they didn't announce the price point yet. The rumor is $400 and that would be huge if true.

6) The specs... wow. That's a huge leap and is comparable with a current really good computer, something past consoles haven't been: X86 CPU and has 8GB of memory and a local hard drive. It uses APU technology and GDDR5 memory, which is typically reserved for "top of the line, high end graphics cards." That's from IGN.

Anyway, I was already excited but I'm even moreso now.

Life and 07jonesj like this.
  23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Did they say it wouldn't play PS3 games? I doubt it will but didn't hear confirmation.

Blizzard being there was a bit shocking but I was disappointed it's a D3 port instead of a new game.

24. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Just saw the event. Here is the good and bad things imo.

Good
    1: Specs where shown at the start

2: Big focus on games!

3: Killzone Shadow Fall looks amazing, i wanted it to blow me away.. and it DID!

4: They showed the controller

5: Tech Demo's

6: Playing games while downloading, possibly streaming PS1, PS2 and PS3 games

Bad
    1: Social..... not much, but too much

2: Blizzard was there, but sadly just a D3 port... i guess it didn't playout on PC as well as they wanted

3: Not showing the console or price... but lets be honest, they want to save it for E3. So i'll give 'em a pass on that.

Overall im was impressed, could be better.. but could had been so much worse. You did a good job Sony ;)

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That was more substantial in terms of info than I had expected. Nothing too surprising in terms of software (except for D3), but that was to be expected for an early launch lineup.

It's still early, but hopefully there's something more to distinguish the hardware than what they've shown so far, otherwise it's going to be a hard sell to move a $400-500 system with only relatively mild graphical improvements and no new format to carry it through its early years, especially with the PS3 finally/still going strong.

(though the remote play switch feature could be kind of neat- but that seems more like a software thing than hardware)

From what I've read, it's actually in a better position than the Wii was. The GPUs aren't that far off- the only major distinguishing power is the gap in RAM.

The bright side to that is that it should be able to make porting third party titles to it much, much easier since you're now only scaling back a few particles effects and such instead having to deal with deeper hardware gaps. This is further assisted by the scalability of most major engines as well.