main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sports Owners

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    A thread for news/thoughts pertaining to owners of sports teams, whether it be Steinbrenner throwing out the money at old veterans like Randy Johnson and micromanaging the team (although he has stepped back more lately) or Mark Cuban rushing the floor with his players during a fight, or anything else.

Which kind of owner do you like, or think should be the ideal owner?

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    jerry colangelo is the ideal owner, and i know of no better owner in any sport (though he's no longer one at all, for the moment).

an owner that is knowledgeable about the sport, their team, cares about winning and the fan experience, and works to better their community, and also doesn't meddle in the day to day decisions of their team. an ideal owner also pays for the best support staff money can buy, and knows that it's not just the coaches/managers that make a team successful/

that describes colangelo, and any good owner out there.

3. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    I hate it when the owners collect the trophy/cup.

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Mark Cuban is the ultimate sports owner, he's a fan, which makes me respect him so much more. It's like having one of our own in the ownership. He's a business man, but he treats the team like it's his baby.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Steinbrenner giving Kevin Brown a giant deal seems to be one of the worst decisions ever made, the Randy Johnson signing at least made a little sense. I don't like Steinbrenner, not at all.

As for worst, that's Daniel Snyder. He's an idiot, all around, is not a football guy and pretends to be one. Overpays mediocrity like Adam Archuleta and Antwaan Randle El and allows his GM to not build Washington's soggy offensive line. Snyder ran off Schottenheimer to bring in Spurrier, and while you won't find a bigger Spurrier fan, well, probably anywhere, that was a horrific move. In fact, I can't think of much Snyder has done well.

Dishonorable mention also includes Jerry Jones.

As for the best, I have to agree with ASG for Cuban, and also I think Jerry Richardson of the Panthers has to be right up there--both love their teams (although they behave very differently), but most importantly, they let the people they hire make the decisions, and they don't overpay overrated talent. Not surprisingly, both have had enormous success, although no titles, but every year their club is in contention.

Honorable mention also includes Robert Kraft.

6. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Roman Abramovich = Best. Owner. Ever. :p

7. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    No owner is nearly as inept as James Dolan (though he is a recovering alcoholic). Just look at the Knicks under his stewardship and the numbers speak for themselves.

What is more galling is the corruption he also breeds, as he has the state's assembly speaker in his pocket to shoot down any attempts at breaking his beloved Garden's monopoly on New York arenas (he killed the Olympic/Jets Stadium and is working hard to kill the Nets' Brooklyn Arena).

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The hat has to come off to the Rooney family, owners of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They don't chase "hot" free agents. They don't overpay (very often) for a mediocre player. They don't mingle themselves into the mix of making decisions best made by the people they pay to make the decisions. They don't make knee jerk reactions with players or coaches. They believe in loyalty above all else (how else do you explain one coaching change since 1969?). And it pays off. Five Super Bowl Rings, and counting.

(Although, I must admit, if I were allowed to do an ownership draft, my first pick would be Mark Cuban. I'd absolutely love for him to own my favorite team(s).)

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hands down, Lamar Hunt.

Right, right, I am biased as we all are. But still, who can argue with Hunt? He established the Chiefs, yes (originally the Dallas Texans). But much more than that, he kept the AFL alive. And somehow managed to convince the NFL to host the first "AFL-NFL Championship Game", now known as Super Bowl I. The Chiefs lost to the Packers, but it was a close match that proved the AFL was not made of second class teams. So Lamar is largely responsible for the league merger into what it now the NFL.

He's much more than an owner. He's an owner who never says die and has been enormously instrumental in making the NFL what it is today. Not only that, but the team he did establish has a long-standing reputation of being one of the classiest organizations in the NFL, as per Hunt's design.

Recently Hunt was responsible for getting the third Thanksgiving game added, which I can tell you, was a huge hit in KC. It was a shame he was in the hospital and unable to make it. But if you saw the game on NFL network, you might have seen that afterwards Trent Green emotionally dedicated the game to Lamar and Coach Edwards gave Lamar the game ball.

Much, much deserved. A great guy, the best of owners, and his positive influence on the league can't be emphasized enough.

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    George Steinbrenner is the second worst thing in Major League Baseball and has been for his entire involvement in the sport. He alone is half the reason I loathe the Yankees as much as I do.

11. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    35-10? Hell, the Chiefs didn't even cover. To be fair, SuperBowl III really brought legitimacy to the AFL.

That said, Hunt was a pivotal executive, along with Schramm and Davis.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, so that one wasn't that close. But Superbowl III was one of the best underdog stories in history. And the Chiefs won in Superbowl IV, clenching the merger of the leagues that followed.

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    But if you saw the game on NFL network, you might have seen that afterwards Trent Green emotionally dedicated the game to Lamar and Coach Edwards gave Lamar the game ball.

sadly, hunt didn't see it himself. the hospital apparently doesn't get the nfl network.

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Time/Warner took the NFL Network away from me. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.