main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 2009] "Far to Go", UDC4, FINISHED on 6/20/10!!!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade , May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004

Have I ever mentioned that you're the best thing ever!!! [face_dancing] [:D]

~MJ @};-

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The scars from her rescuing of Kirk and killing someone to accomplish that will probably resonate for quite some time. Hopefully, Nyota with the assistance of Spock will be able to keep her emotions in check. Another very excellent set. =D=

3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    The 'blow-by-blow' review has been replaced for now with me, wide eyed, and loving what you did here with Uhura. She didn't want to be there, didn't want to lay a finger on anyone, but did that mean she wouldn't in defense of her friend and captain? No, no it didn't. Loved the very real emotional response there at the end: shock at what she had to do. And now she has to deal. Somehow, I think she has the best support system for that...

Good set. Very, very good set. :)

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh wow!! A bit intense - poor Nyota, that couldn't have been easdy :(

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Very intense and dramatic set, Mira. At first, I thought it was Christine, but it was soon appratent that it was Nyota. I like how potrayed that Kirk is her friend and she cares deeply about what happens to him. I also loved how you portrayed her intense feelings about combat and her post traumatic stress. Very well written.

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Some replies, and then an update. :D

Jade_eyes: That's it exactly! Spot on with your observations! Thank-you for that!! Oh, and the mush was decidedly PERFECT. Thank-you sooooo much! [:D]

RX_Sith: Thanks so much for your regular comments. They always mean a lot to me. [:D] And yep, she has the perfect support system to become stronger from the experience. [face_love]

DaenaBenjen42: I seriously have the best readers when it comes to thoughtful comments. Really. And yet, as I was saying to RX, she does have the best support system for that. [face_love] Thanks so much for reading! [:D]

NYCityGurl: Not easy at all. :(

brodiew: Thanks for that! I think that one of the things I was going for here, is Nyota's turning point in realizing how much she came to value Kirk as a friend, alongside the shock of killing in order to protect him. Things like post conflict emotions are always fun for me to write as well, so I'm glad they came over well. :D

As always, thanks to everyone for your thoughts!! They really mean the world to me! [:D]

~MJ @};-

7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Alrighty, for this week I have something a bit . . . different than all of my previous weeks.

It draws heavily on the novelization of the movie. If I had my book handy I'd give you pages, but I don't. :( Two weak parts of the movie, I thought, were Winona's remarriage to Frank, and the reasons behind Kirk driving the car off the cliff. When the book gave more information as to George Kirk Jr. and his running away, it helped to see what young Kirk was going though at that time. I tried to capture a bit of that here. In the end it may have been a bit more personal-canon than canon, but I'm sure imaginations can be used when filling in the blanks. ;)

And, my rambling now completed, enjoy!

[b][u]Week Thirteen - [i]?Sins of the Mother?[/i][/u]

61. Hold Back the Darkness[/b]

After her husband's death, Winona Kirk traveled back to their Iowa home.

. . . [i]her[/i] home, now. The deeds were being re-written, and anything legal connecting her to her husband was now labeled with cold words like [i]deceased[/i] or [i]void[/i]. The thought ached, and with deceptively dry eyes, she hugged her newest child closer to her, stealing desperately from his warmth.

When she introduced Jim to her oldest ? a wide eyed thing of five, his only question was, ?Can't we just trade him in for daddy??

The innocence there chilled her as much as the desperate longing in her own bones.

[b]62. Take a Stand[/b]

Winona started seeing Frank when Jim turned six. George, ten already, watched her with eyes so much like his father's they [i]hurt[/i], his look both judging and condemning.

No child that young should have that look. And yet, George had been the one watching Jim while she stole away to space more often than not, searching for something to fill the void, gaping inside. He had been the one to carried the brunt of her overwhelming grief, to endure her fickle moods.

He had been so strong.

?It'll all work out,? she promised him.

His eyes were only bitterly sad.

[b]63. When You're lost[/b]

This time of year the endless green fields were burned with gold at the top, creating a marvelous spectacle for the eye, and a perfect retreat for the two brothers.

Jim was focusing intently on peeling the husk from an ear of corn. ?You know,? the child said brightly, ?mom said we could go to space with her someday.?

George snorted.

?Don'cha wanna??

A smile, fleeting, stole across his face. ?Sure.?

?Jus' me an you. It'll be brilliant,? Jim proclaimed with an unwavering certainty. George envied him for a moment.

His eyes found the skies. ?Sounds like a plan, kid.?

[b]64. No Solid Ground[/b]

Kirk is twelve when things get really bad.

Mom was off planet more often than not, and while Frank took most of his more sour nature out on his older brother, Kirk was not one to miss the awful moments that came more often than not.

Then, the worst moment came - when George could take no more, and set out with nothing but his scuffed sneakers and a backpack full of his favorite things, leaving Jim to watch him, a low churning feeling in his stomach that felt like more than loneliness ? more like anger.

His expression is warped in the crimson paint before him. He thinks that it is fitting.

[b]65. There's Only Us[/b]

Winona rushed planetside when Frank called her about the accident.

Jim was still at the station, his eyes surly and his knuckles bloodied. ?It's all [i]your[/i] fault,? he mumbled darkly upon seeing her.

?What's my fault??

?[i]George[/i]. He's [i]gone[/i]. And it's. All. [i]Your[/i]. Fault..?

The scorn in his voice shocked her. She turned wild eyes to Frank, who shrugged. ?Haven't seen the kid all day.?

An anger rose in her, bright and strong, filling the empty places she had been trying for years to fill.

?We'll find him,? she promised.

When she reached for his hands, he snatched them away.

[b]~MJ[/b] [face_rose]

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Brilliant!

=D=

Perfect reflection and expansion of the novelization.

:D

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Jade_eyes: Thanks so much, hon!! [:D]

This week was originally a veeeeery long vig, but I can't get it the way I want it, so here it is in drabble format. I think I like it better this way. :p

[b][u]Week Fourteen ? [i]?Another Time, Another Place?[/i][/u]

66. Whispering[/b]

? . . . so, let me get this straight,? Bones laughed, ?the crazy Vulcan pulls a foolish stunt, and he manages to separate his body from his . . . um, karty thingy??

?Katra,? Jim corrected, his eyes bright from where he was telling of his more . . . [i]interesting[/i] memories gleaned from the elder ambassador's mind. ?It's then our job to risk life and commission to put Humpty back together again.?

Bones snorted, before nodding at Nyota, ?Lemme guess, [i]she[/i] was stuck housing the poor guy's soul.?

Kirk grinned wickedly. ?Nope. It was [i]you[/i].?

Bone's eyes were surprised, but there was something oddly touched about his smile.

[b]67. Haunting[/b]

During a particularly heated quarrel with Nyota, it probably wasn't the best idea to mention that she wasn't with Spock in another life . . . It was probably even worse to bring up T'Pring and Saavik, but he did . . . and now he can't take the words back.

While waiting for her comeback, Kirk dared to open one eye, and was shocked to see not anger, but [i]pain[/i] on Nyota's stunned face. Stunned, haunted, [i]pain[/i].

The knowledge that he deeply hurt her only burned more when she composed herself, repressing her unfounded (but human) fears, and silently walked away, her head held high.

[b]68. Lingering[/b]

?Whales,? he muttered, ?what's with all the whales??

McCoy shook his head. ?It's the sedatives talking,? was his professional opinion as he slung one of Kirk's arms over his shoulder and gestured to Spock to do so with the other.

?Whales are important,? Kirk still muttered. ?They can talk. Older than humans, you see.?

?Whatever you say, Jim.?

Kirk's eyes turned startlingly clear, as if he had been hit by a memory he couldn't quite shake. ?Spock . . . were you doing a mind meld with a pregnant humpback??

He was being laughed at for that one for a long, [i]long[/i] time.

[b]69. Echoing[/b]

Every year, on the same day, Kirk bought out a bottle of McCoy's best whiskey, and steadily threw back shot after shot in an almost religious manner.

This year was no different, and he observed the date with the knowledge that this would not have been his ritual in another life. His father would have been alive, and proud, and he would not have to mourn his passing every single year.

This year, doubts and wonderments and wistful thoughts all swirled together to the point where he did not mind when McCoy gently but firmly pulled him to his feet.

[b]70. Murmuring[/b]

Jim took a moment to look at his crew, comparing them to the hazy frame in his mind . . . and found that he preferred them this way.

He preferred Checkov's wide eyed wonder, and the rougher edge to Scotty - and he definitely preferred Uhura's biting wit. Even her and the Vulcan trading looks was nice - it humanized the man somewhat, mellowing out the memory of another time.

He even preferred his own demeanor: more calloused, somewhat brasher, somewhat unrefined . . .

The stars faded away as they set out once again, and for all the world it felt just as it should be.

[b]~MJ[/b] [face_rose]

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh my darling darling darling Nyota-- I loved how she responded in Haunting. *Someone* needs to soothe her unwarranted fears--and I do hope Spock A [face_laugh] finds his lovely Saavik. :D

"The stars faded away as they set out once again, and for all the world it felt just as it should be."

To quote Tenel Ka, this is a FACT!

Edit on 08/25--i couldn't stand it so I had to expand on what Haunting began LOL with "Time's Myriad Blessings." :) And you cannot know how glad I am there are more weeks of these nummies to go now that brodie's drabbles are done! [face_relief!]

Squggles!!
    & HUGGLES!!!

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Week 13 is actually pretty sad. Like your other Winona drabbles, it touches on her lonely heart and guilt over her children. Your portryal of george as a bitter(maybe more stoic) realist is well played. More for Winona to angst over. It is evident here, that Jim values his relationship to George, even if they are worlds apart personally. He looks up to his older brother. His outburst at his mother is all the more powerful because she has been gone and now George is gone.

Week 14 is brilliant in all its humor, angst, and reverie.

Katra: That was funny. Maybe it will be Nyota this time around. Would Spock do that to her?

Saavik/T'Pring: This sounded like it was supposed to Spock, but I didn;t think he knew these things. It's Kirk, right? I really felt Nyota's pain even through Jim's eyes. Idiot needs to keep that stuff to himself.

There be whales here! Funny stuff with Kirk delierious talking about the inter-species mind meld. Not the first time Spock had done that. Remember the Horta!

Remembering Dad: Somber is right. But a right fine ritual.

Awww, he likes them, he really, really likes them. So do I. Both versions. :)

12. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    There's something I didn't know: that there's a novelization of the movie. I saw the comic book (or what must have been a lead in or something), but not the novel. Must go look for that at some point. Getting back to these, though... review!

Hold Back the Darkness: Oh... ow, ow...

Take a stand: I feel for the kid, there... no other man can replace his father.

When you're lost: Did George really want to go into space, or was he remembering their father? Only George knows.

No Solid Ground: Brother takes off, Jim takes the car...

There's Only Us: That very painful, there with Winona taking all the blame from Jim like that... ow...

Whispering: Wonder if he'd be so touched if he knew what the circumstances were or why it happened? (That, and Uhura was nowhere near Engineering...)

Haunting: Brodiew said it best... there are things one just does not tell anybody. This is one of those.

Lingering: *unfolds a banner reading "I loved The Voyage Home!"* Sure he got made fun of, but he's also right. Them whales saved the world. Or at the very least, the ecosystem.

Echoing: In memoriam... awesomeness.

Murmurring: Good man, seeing that the changes were for the good.

Good drabbles. :)

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    And lookie here, your reclusive author is back with *gasp* an update.

These will be finished . . . just a little late. [face_blush]

And um, well, enought babbling from me. ;)

Jade_eyes: I'm thrilled that your wonderful viggie was inspired from that. :p Althouh, in that trade I do believe that I got the better end of the bargain. [face_laugh] [:D]

brodiew: Ooh, a two for one! I like that. [face_dancing] And once again, your observations were a hoot to read through. And the horta? . . . was that the silicon alien who looked like a throw rug, during the paaaaaiiiiiiiiiin episode? :p Drats, I wish that I would've remembered that one in time. [face_laugh]

DaenaBenjen42: Yep! There's a novel by Alan Dean Foster, and it's pretty good. Has some extra stuff that wasn't in the movie. [face_love] And I loved the Voyage Home too . . . more than is healthy probably. ;) [face_love]

~MJ @};-

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I have a dear RL friend who was having a healthy debate with me over how 'logical' the Spock/Nyota relationship was. And of course, this led to brainstorming ways that the Kelvin's destruction (the root of the time split) could have resulted in said relationship. The muse was challenged . . . and this was the result. :cool:

[b][u]Week Fifteen - [i]?Written in a Different Set of Stars?[/i][/u]

71. Restrained[/b]

Languages have fascinated Uhura since she was a child.

Upon reaching Starfleet, she took up the field of xenolinguistics. With these courses, there were a series of advanced phonology classes with a brilliant linguist by the name of Darius Hines. A deep friendship was struck between her and the elder professor, and she took many of her theories and problems to the man. The younger professors were a blur to her, all circling about her memory of this man.

When she passed the lone Vulcan in the hall, she did not look twice, nor should she have any reason to.

[b]72. Controlled[/b]

Years later, she was assigned to the [i]Enterprise[/i] in time for it to begin its five year mission.

Here she met Commander Spock, and while she got along with him, he was never in the forefront of her mind when she briefly thought of starting a shipboard relationship. Over time she would consider them friends, and often she would spend time off shift with him ? clumsily ruining tunes on his harp, or singing along when the situation called for it. She would flirt with every light intention, and he never seemed to take it as anything more.

She never once intended for him to.

[b]73. Defined[/b]

She remained friends with Spock in their years after the [i]Enterprise[/i], keeping up a steady line of communication in which she enjoyed his peculiar wit and sharp insights. Years later, when his body was separated from his Katra, she didn't think twice before risking both life and commission to help him.

After a long life, lived to the full, she passed away peacefully in her sleep. Spock, one of the last survivors of their original crew, attended her funeral, and mourned her most deeply. She was often a fond memory in the years to follow, but nothing more than that.

[b]74. Resolved[/b]

Years later, Spock attempted to save the planet Romulus from destruction. In the wake of his failure, the mad with grief Nero destroyed the starship [i]Kelvin[/i] while seeking his revenge.

While the stars reeled and realigned at this change in history's pages, one much smaller change was made in Time's large tapestry. For, aboard the Kelvin was a young ensign by the name of Darius Hines, who never survived to teach at the academy.

Twenty-three years later, Cadet Uhura took her phonology theories to one of the more advanced professors ? a Mr. Spock.

After that, the rest was history.

[b]75. Unlimited[/b]

Spock watched his younger counterpart and Uhura together with curiosity.

. . . in all of his memories of the undoubtedly extraordinary woman, he never once would have considered this possibility. Yet, here it was unfolded successfully as his younger self reached over to carry a stack of PADDs from the happily smiling woman. There was an ease about them, a contented flow stringing together their words that spoke of the deepest intimacy.

Spock surprised himself when he looked at the two, and then remembered his own Nyota with something like longing.

Softly, he turned away, content to let Time unfold once again.

[b]~MJ[/b] [face_rose]

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A brilliant wonderful update. :D It's odd, though... I find myself working extremely hard trying to understand why/how Nyota & Spock didn't get together originally in Timeline 1 (though of course your explanation rings very true to character) [face_thinking] Yet, now that they are a couple, it's like chocolate and toffee together, (as they are in Symphony candy bars), hello! The natural delectable way of things [face_laugh]

Huggles!!! for a delicious read!!

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I just did a marathon read of all you have so far -- they are brilliant. I can't convey to you how touching, and deep, and funny and just wonderful these drabbles are!=D=

I know I'm joining the party late, but would you mind sending me a PM when you update?

17. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    An incredibly amazing set here. Very unique perspectives into Spock and Nyota's lives both before and after the time change. =D=

18. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    It's interesting and sometimes weird how something as small (or huge) as someone not surviving anything can have a lasting impact like this... wow...

Restrained: Uhura having a kind of brush with destiny and missing it. Liked that.

Controlled: Sort of a bond of comrads, which was what I liked about their relationship in time line A.

Defined: Plus, when he lost his Katra, she got to lock an ensign in the closet for being WAY too curious...

Resolved: So because it was Spock teaching, a bond that would have been formed with the other person who was supposed to be there became a different kind of bond... liked that.

Unlimited: That was heartbreaking in there, for Spock to see what now is and what could have been. And nice that he understands, at least partly.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's very nice!! I particularly like Resolved :)

20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    *dodges phaser blasts*

This was a great set as usual, Mira. You have such a talent for giving simple things great meaning. This Spock Prime pov was fantastic. I enjoyed reading his remembrance of Uhura from his time in light of the current situation with his younger, alternate self.

Your inclusion of Darius Hines is a brilliant device to show how their relationship devloped in the alternate timeline. Very well done.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Had to bump... you know why... [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] How could I ever ever ever have enough? [face_laugh]

[:D]

!!

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm going to bypass replies in the interest in getting these weeks up. [face_blush] Gosh, but has it already been a month? I'm so very sorry.

To make up for my lapse as an author ;) I have a double post. Maybe y'all will forgive me after that. :p I have the next few weeks coming in soon after that, and then we'll be all done. :( [:D]

Alrighty, enough of my rambling, I think that you've all waited long enough . . . ;)

[b][u]Week Sixteen - [i]?Life Amongst the Distant Stars ? pt. II?[/i][/u]

76. Bend Over Backwards[/b]

There were times when Kirk's tendency to leap first without looking ended without a cushy landing. And every time that happened, it was left to McCoy to patch the kid up ? [i]again[/i].

?You know, there is a reason we have a security detail,? McCoy muttered at his rant's end ? in which there had been more shaking of the hypo in his hand than any actual treatment.

Kirk smiled crookedly. ?Now, where's the fun in that??

If McCoy didn't do all in his power to [i]completely[/i] see Jim back up to a hundred percent, no one bothered saying anything about it.

[b]77. Axe to Grind[/b]

Kirk was sure that he was maybe feeling the beginnings of something like envy.

It was an odd feeling for him ? yes, the blonde nurse was pretty and kind ? but she was also just a girl. A [i]girl[/i] ? not someone to make the beginnings of possessive longing stir inside him every time that she passed him, and had eyes only for the Vulcan.

Horrified, he knew these feelings were jealousy, plain and simple.

Then, he saw Nyota eye Christine long and slow with a scowl in her eyes . . . Amused, he reflected that he just may have a chance yet.

[b]78. Rise and Shine[/b]

Morning was her favorite time of day. She loved the freshness to be found in the imitated sunlight stealing over her skin, and the comfort found in the scent of brewing coffee tangling with the lightly fragrant scent of incense from where Spock went about his morning meditations.

Even more so, she enjoyed the trace of his eyes over her body every morning, and the greeting found in his kiss. There was a promise in the soft press of his hands against hers in those morning moments ? softly fluttering things which she would carry with her the whole day through.

[b]79. Tongue and Cheek[/b]

There were very few things that annoyed Kirk ? and yet, his often ridiculous banter sessions with Uhura ending with her and the Vulcan talking in different tongues behind his back had to be at the top of the list.

?You know, I really hate when you two speak in languages that I can't understand.? In Kirk's left hand, he was holding a hardcopy of [i]'Vulcan for idiots'[/i], in a tenacious grip.

Spock looked as if he would comment before Nyota shook her head . . . She simply didn't have the heart to tell him that that wasn't the language they were speaking.

[b]80. Without a Doubt[/b]

James T. Kirk was without a doubt one of the most brash, arrogant, and downright [i]insufferable[/i] men that she had ever met.

Something told her that that would always be her opinion, but in moments like these ? when he spent the whole night in the stiff chair by the bed of the Russian kid after a mission gone wrong - softened those opinions into something soft, almost fond.

With a shake of her gold head, Christine laid a blanket over the Captain's still form, and reflected that all character flaws aside, there was still no one she'd rather serve under more.

[hr]

(This collection, is an expansion of sorts of many of my other pieces. It's a personal canon, so if that's why some thing sseem familiar, that's why. :) )

[b][u]Week Seventeen - [i]?While moons control tides . . . And even planets, the stars warm. . .?[/i][/u]

81. Yearning[/b]

Nyota Uhura, in a word, was intriguing.

She was something bright amongst the sea of students ? something quick and intelligent(this he had noticed long before his eyes rested for longer than appropriate on the fit of her uniform over her hips or the trai

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yeah, yeah yeah. Rise and Shine -- sweet.

I may have to *borrow* and expand on that one, if I may?

Hee!!
    The next week's drabbles -- raptures. Even the title was delicious LOL no one is even in the same class as Spock, so he has no real competition LOL

Huggles for two marvy sets!

I cannot even think of what I'll do once these are done. :eek: :eek: Ack!!!!!

24. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    "Once upon a time?" It wasn't that long of a wait... ;) (And now that I'm done teasing you, review shall commence.)

Bend over backwards: Utterly in character for them both, and love McCoy here, frustrated that Kirk can't seem to stay uninjured.

Axe to grind: Stirrings of romance! Stirrings of romance! (And... somehow, I don't think Uhura was particularly pleased, there...)

Rise and Shine: [face_love]

Tongue and cheek: Vulcan for Idiots? Loved that! (Them speaking in foreign languages and Kirk getting frustrated: priceless.)

Without a doubt: Okay, loved Christine here. Awesomeness. (And poor, poor Chekov!)

Week 17: Liked these. They showed a sort of progression in characterization for Spock, and a side of Uhura that probably only he ever really sees.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, the Spock/Uhura ones were really sweet [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.