main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Battleground Announced

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Dan, Feb 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    looks at watch

About two and a one third months.

2. Dark_Sith_Alf

Dark_Sith_Alf Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    Garry M. Gaber's next posting here will probably be in the next 7 days. (crosses fingers)

3. MA_2000

MA_2000 Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2001
    Cool! Isn't that a TIE Advanced X1 (Vader's TIE in A New Hope) that I saw in one of the latest Gamespot screenshots?

I have 4 questions for Garry_M_Gaber:

1) Are there going to be "Secondary Functions" for the units like Proton Torpedoes for X-Wings?

2) Will bombers be able to fire lasers? Y-Wings, TIE Bombers and Naboo Bombers are supposed to have them.

3) Are B-Wings going to be in the game?

4)When are you coming out with a release date for this game?

4. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Since Gaber usually posts at least once each month, I'm counting on him too probably post soon. Unless Gaber is only posting at the Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Community now.

5. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    This thread is bigger than that community...at least for now. I wouldn't blame him. He has alot of questions to answer, and it would probably take him till two years to answer. Well, maybe not two years. More like three!

For now, I'm assuming that he won't post till the game is near releasing, and that his answering questions is more of a privelage than a right. Lets just keep it as a speculative thread, if you guys want. Id rather discuss what will happen then ask a person that hasnt appeared in over a month to answer the questions.

But it's up to you guys. I'm not in charge of this thread. Just tossing out an idea.

6. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    I don't mind if Gaber doesn't post again. I'm probably going to get the game for Christmas, so my questions will be answered when I play the game.

7. Garry_M_Gaber

Garry_M_Gaber Director SW Galactic Battlegrounds VIP

Apr 21, 2001
    Greetings!

Glad to see all the excitement brewing around Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. To give a quick update, we are cruising toward Beta at a very fast clip, buttoning up a lot of the art in the game, and spending time on the level-specific art. Today, the Endor Bunker, as well as two of the creatures that wander the worlds, the Gundark and the TuskCat came in, as well as Obi-Wan Kenobi (both Padawan and Knight) for the Scenario Editor (translation: toybox). The art is looking great. We have so many units that you guys know and love from the films, as well as quite a few surprises. We're agressively fixing bugs and working hard to reach our Beta date in early September. After that it's polishing for a month, and then into Quality Assurance. I'll keep you all up to date as we progress.

Now, on to the latest questions:

In answer to Dark_Sith_Alf (7/21), Ewoks are placeable in the Scenario Editor, so the answer to your question is yes. In fact, not only do we have Ewok soldiers, but we also have Chief Chirpa, Logray, the medicine Ewok, and Wicket as placeable heroes. So you can hunt Ewoks to your heart's content!

Young David (7/21) - yes, that was the first picture with Wookiees in it.

Energy, in response to pat-fett (7/21) is provided by Power Cores, structures that when placed in proximity of a building, provide power to it. Power grants you a faster build rate for units produced at the building, as well as faster research of further technologies. Also, a power core is necessary to power a shield generator.

El_Emperador (7/21) asks a good question (his 3rd) and it was something the team struggled with. When you click on an AT-ST, you get the name "Mech Destroyer", which is the class of the unit. However, when you go to build it, in the rollover help, you see it's designation, which is AT-ST. The problem here that we needed to solve was quick recognizability of units in the game. How does one know that an AT-ST is equivalent to a Rebel Hover Tank? Because both are Mech Destroyers. We grappled with different solutions, but the class/designation solution seemed the most elegant. I hope you'll agree when you play the game. In answer to the (5th) question, both Artillery and Assault Mechs (the class that holds AT-AT) can knock over trees if their lasers or energy balls hit them.

The gate arts are being modified, Young David (7/22), so that the new larger AT-AT's can fit through.

The Empire Sith and Rebel Jedi are both very powerful, Dark_Sith_Alf (7/24).

Naboo and Gungans fight together in the Gungan campaign, KansasNavy (7/26), therefore we thought a separate Naboo campaign would be redundant. And wait until you see Theed! We've modeled the Palace, the Hangar, and the Power Generator, and there's more coming.

There will be holocrons in Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Dark_SIth_Alf (7/26). When placed in a Jedi or Sith Temple, they will give you a trickle of Nova Crystals. Also, if you capture Banthas or Nerfs and place them in an Animal Nursery, you will get a trickle of food.

Great question, Rikalonius (7/26). The Jedi in our game do not heal like the monks in AOK. We have a new unit, called a medic which is dedicated to this task. You produce it at the Command Center. There are more units in Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, but we have done this to give you more interesting choice to make in the game. Also, Boba Fett is in the game as a hero. The Bounty Hunters on the Imperial Side are Rodian (Greedo's race).

Juggernauts are used by both the Rebels and Empire, according to Star Wars references, KansasNavy (7/27).

The equivalent upgrade to "Redemption" is something called "Force Influence", which lets you convert other Jedi and Sith, Dark_SIth_Alf (7/29).

El_Emperador (7/29), yes, that is the upgraded Y-wing.

Yes, Dark_Sith_Alf (8/1), bombs from TIE Bombers, for instance will be able to hurt underwater buildings and submarines, if they have been detected.

Yes, SithForceLord (8/2), the Jedi/Sith will have special powers, like

8. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Thanks for the update Garry M. Gaber!

9. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I must say that your attention to us fans is impressive Garry. I thank you for keeping us in the loop. Now if you could ask for some repersentives from Jedi Outcast and Rouge Leader to drop us a line that would be the ultimate. You do LA proud.

10. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    WOW - thanks VERY MUCH garry

and thanks for answering the litle peoples Q's Yes, SithForceLord (8/2), the Jedi/Sith will have special powers, like Mind Tricks (Stealth) and Jedi Detection, the ability to detect other hidden Jedi and Sith - WOOHOO this will be cool in the game! - thanks for letting me know this info!

11. El_Emperador

El_Emperador Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    Hey! GREAT! Just when we were wondering if you would provide us with an update, you did! Awesome, I love your fan connections. Wow, since I got my questions answered, I'm happy. And now I actually agree with the Mech Destroyer instead of AT-ST. Well, we already KNOW it's an AT-ST from the art on the screen, and what better way to show its equivilent? Good work.

12. jebadia

jebadia Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2001
    Thanks for the update!!! This game look great!

13. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    Awesome! I stand corrected!

14. El_Emperador

Jun 18, 2001
    Take a look at today's cocept art. There's the TF turrets (last one is equiv to a bombard tower in AOK) I love the little storyline going on there :)

BTW, the last two turrets go together in the "story" because the Heavy Turret doesn't upgrade to the Missle, you can build either.

15. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    I cant wait to see more Naboo pics. Theed sounds exciting, and I'm thinking the Gungan/Naboo campaign sounds the funnest. As far as I know, I'm the only person who likes the Naboo most of all the civs. (Odd, because I didnt care for TPM, either).

Also, has anybody noticed how long this thread's been going. Since early February, and it's been slowly but consistently chugging along. I'm impressed.

Last, what kind of scenario will you make (besides hunting Ewoks, LoL)?

I would like to lead a mission to assassinate JarJar or C3P0.

16. El_Emperador

Jun 18, 2001
    I dunno, I might do a massive Jedi battle!

Would be neat to watch.

17. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Another question for Gaber.

Will the Tie Defender fighter be available for the Empire in the Campaign editor?

18. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Go here to get answers to your questions.

19. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Everyone post your questions in advance. It'll probably be another month until Gaber posts again. Only about 2 months to go till November.

20. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
  21. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    Cool concepts. I especially like the boats and the Gungan bomber. I have a few ?s for Garry:

1) Will the blaster cannons for each civ be different besides the way they look.
    2) About how fast is the gameplay? Like in AoK, the fastest units are the horses. Hopefully, speeders will be much faster.
    3) How will the aircraft work? Will they just float like helicopters and attack or strafe like jets?
    4) Finally, will you need huge amounts of villagers to fight?

Thanks.

22. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
  23. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Well that answers my question about the Tie Defender.

24. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    New screenshots. Here.

25. dumbug

dumbug Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2001
    A few questions for garry

1- How many cd is this going to be

2- have you thought of making a 3d battlegrounds later, maybe with the New Dunes games engine. This battlegrounds games going to sell big time and no doubt another ones going to be in demand to make.

I know it is too soon to ask that.

Thanks for bringing this game out. I know it's going to be my favorite game of all time thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.