main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ordo Skirata, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hence "Episode VII". Must be some kind of continuation.

2. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Ani is my homeboy: Lucasfilm WILL remain autonomous; it has simply become one of the many studio labels now owned by the Disney Corporation. The other studio labels owned by Disney are as follows:
    Walt Disney Pictures
    Pixar Animation Studios
    Disney Toon Studios
    Disneynature
    Marvel Studios
    Touchstone Pictures (with DreamWorks Studios as a subsidiary)
    ESPN Films
    Studio Ghibi (North America)

Pixar and Marvel have remained autonomous despite being brought under the Disney corporate umbrella, and I see absolutely no reason why Lucasfilm won't be treated similarly.

3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Disney really takes a more 'hands off' approach with Marvel and Pixar, being such huge names themselves. I see no reason to believe LucasFilm won't be similar.

Truly excited for Episode 7.

Ani is my homeboy likes this.
  4. SamiS

SamiS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    Could be bad but could also be really good so i'm excited :)

5. Ani is my homeboy

Ani is my homeboy Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm not saying that they won't remain mostly autonomous but people get fickle about who the big boss is and now thats Disney which is cool whatever. I'm just sayin that lucasfilms will have to go along with disney's goals which is different than they doing whatever they want. Lucasfilms doesn't have they final say anymore, corporate Disney does that's what a parent company does. That being said all the resources that Disney has are on the table for lucasfilms which gives them more creative potential. Yes, they will remain autonomous but Disney is shelling out the cash so they will have a say.

6. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    First of all - I'm in awe and ecstatic. I never thought this day would come.

Second - It's been so long, I can't access my old account. My email address has changed since I last posted, so let's start fresh.

Third - I sincerely hope this trilogy begins about 20 years after ROTJ. I think we need to see how far Luke, Leia, and Han have gone in their lives, and see how the New Republic is progressing. I know Ford is not interested in exploring the Han Solo character, so hopefully he could be swayed to do a cameo. Perhaps Han being killed to start this thing off.

Seeing Luke set up the New Jedi Order would be awesome. Watching Leia (and maybe Lando) play politics will be necessary. I hope to see Wedge commanding the Republic fleet, and even wonder if Jar Jar fits in (please don't flip out over that comment).

I know we'll need new characters, but I don't think this works without tying in the OT characters. I always thought of a 9-story saga as almost two intertwined stories. 6 stories about Anakin and 6 stories about Luke. Episodes 4-6 happen to be included in both.

I know I'm all over the place, but I am excited. Remember when Peter Meyhew was signed for ROTS? He was required to sign on for future films. It seems Lucas knew all along he may have made this trilogy. We kinda ignored that...

Lastly - Great to be back! I look forward to the next 10 or so years of speculating again.

Ani is my homeboy likes this.
  7. albertperk

albertperk Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    I haven't been on these boards in YEARS....the hype had disappeared after the what I thought was the last movie was released back in 2005. But I'm back too!! I am ecstatic and can't wait to see where Disney takes the Star Wars franchise!! It's great to see these boards come back to life too!! Gosh this is such an exciting time!! Welcome back everyone!!! :)

The Bops and Darth Vader like this.
  8. LANDOROCKS

LANDOROCKS Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    You are insane if you think there won't be some continuation of the characters, can almost 100% guarrantee that you will see Chewbacca, Yoda in ghost form, Luke as the sage Jedi-master, hell maybe even Leia and Han.

What you will get is many more characters who we don't yet know which will be exciting.

9. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Yuuzhan Vong?
    Cade Skywalker?
    StarKiller?
    Grand Admiral Thrawn?

10. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I'd expect, given the symmetry of the first six episodes and the existing information that we have concerning the Sequel Trilogy, that we'll probably more than likely see Luke (at least), the droids, and the 'new generation' of Skywalkers; whether or not the latter characters are completely original or whether or not they are the familiar 'new generation' characters we know and love from the EU is something that will likely only be determined as the exact story details for the trilogy are finalized.

11. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    If they have a new line of skywalkers, and show luke, does that mean he'll have to be married - does that mean mara jade?

Sooo many questions right now

12. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I have been on Star Wars.com all day so yes I have seen the video (a few times) and again all im saying is that realistically speaking:

It will be a new, fresh adventure set comfortably far enough away from George Lucas's OS (Original Saga) to the point where they will have creative freedom. A few on this site have speculated that it will be set 32 years in the future AFTER Episode 6 like TPM was set 32 years before Episode 4. Rationally speaking its going to be along the lines of something like that after taking in everything that has been stated so far today.

Realistically it wont be mark, carrie and harrison running around in SW costumes. At the very most it might have a cameo appearance by someone like Mark in one scene.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I think they should show a flashback of how Anakin destroyed the Sith and bringing balance to the force at the beginning of the movie

14. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
  15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think the most important thing is NOT to reference the Prequel Trilogy at all in these new films. They didn't work... (my opinion)

Go with events after ROTJ...and go back to what works! :cool:

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  16. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Maybe more Podracing like Fast and the Furious?

More Ewoks and Gungans?

17. spoooooky

spoooooky Jedi Master

May 2, 2000
    Right now, I'll just say that I am cautiously optimistic/open minded. (which is a pretty big turnaround from my initial shocked reaction...)

Either way, can't wait for the spoilers and speculation to begin!

18. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    Personally I would like to see a continuation of the Skywalker saga just because I don't like the whole Palpatine cloning thing. I really want Episode VII to retcon that.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I agree, although as I've already suggested, it could even be a century later.

Given the amount of press this has been receiving, I'd also be careful about taking everything at face value, unless it's a direct quote from GL or someone at LFL &/or Disney. I've already read one article in a relatively reputable newspaper which claims all 6 movies were released in 3-D this year (along with misspelling Lucasfilm as Lucusfilm).
    The Washington Post claims the films will continue the adventures of Luke, Han & Leia - I really, really doubt it. More likely whoever wrote the article doesn't know much about Star Wars films or stories that don't involve those characters, much as many were confused about the PT back in the 1990s - "So that's Luke as a little kid?" "Is that red-faced guy Darth Vader without his mask?"

GL has claimed he's got outlines for a trilogy, and some other stories. Pretty safe to assume Eps 7-9 will be a trilogy of sorts, then there could be some standalone films. It's also been stated that the new films are being set after ROTJ.

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess. 'Episode 7' is a working title - the film set to be released in 2015 mightn't even be "Star Wars Episode VII" of the Saga we know, it mightn't have the familiar scroll, it mightn't even begin with the same music. For all we know, it could be Episode I of 'the Second Saga' (early drafts of SW referred to it as coming from 'The First Saga').

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  20. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    There is a video I saw on Hollywood Reporter of GL and Iger. GL says that he and KK have a plan for 7-9 to complete his trilogy of trilogies.

21. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Agreed. Very good points.

Lucas said that it is going to be titled "Episode 7" ultimately but its also very relevant to remember that Joe Johnston very vocally wants to direct a "Boba Fett Movie" and he is friends with Lucas and worked on the OT so this might finally happen after all. Perhaps after Episode 9 is done. It would CERTAINLY be justified as the first "none episode" Star Wars movie considering the world infamous popularity of the character.

22. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    We might also get an 'Old, Old Republic' film as GL himself put it, he stated some vague interest in it a few years ago around the time TCW was being started (it was also mentioned as far back as 1979, a film about the formation of the Republic & the Jedi Knights).

Although I'm still maintaining a very grouchy, skeptical stance on the authenticity of this new trilogy of Episodes 7-9 (as it relates to the one we've all wondered about for 30 years), I'm starting to warm to the entire franchise getting a new lease on life. Even if they turn out to be not exactly my cup of poison, I don't have to go see them. Just great to see SW carrying on.

23. Camasi

Camasi Jedi Master

Oct 28, 2009
    I am in a very positive state of mind and I believe that this next movie will make significant nods towards the Expanded Universe while maintaining their own view of this universe. I would absolutely love a trilogy set during the Yuuzhan Vong war but to be honest it would be awesome to highlight the Grand Admiral Thrawn campaign. It would make so much sense considering that a lot of films are social commentaries of the world that we live in. A former rebel alliance struggling to make the transition to becoming a legitimate interstellar government (EU, UN types) while dealing with the remnants of an Empire that has fragmented into different sub factions and still possess powerful weaponry (Soviet Union?)... An Imperial Remnant led by a non cookie cutter "villain" who takes a unique approach to Imperial leadership that forces the audience to not see it in the typical bad guy/good guy perspective? The last of an ancient order struggling to create a new jedi order that is relevant to the current state of the galaxy and free from faction control? With characters like the Solo children, Mara Jade, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Talon Karrde, etc.... the source material is there and offers a goldmine in terms of movie making.

This would of course force new actors to come into the fold but hey... no one said they could do it with Star Trek yet they were able to do just that and knock it out of the park. You could still have your cameos!

However, it would be great to see a Yuuzhan Vong Era war and include the old actors. Losing Chewbacca on screen could be a huge hook for audiences.

Very exciting times ahead.

24. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    Oh its good to be back.

I'm ecstatic. I'm elated. Jubilant.

Ol' Neck had to have had these story treatments for years. Now its finally happening.

25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I actually hope they avoid all the politics -it bogged down the prequels. The original trilogy did it nicely (bare min and in the background)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.