main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Seems a minor thing to get heated up about, so let's move along. :)

2. Princess_Lesa

Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    I'm looking for the thread for getting answers to questions and getting further notes at the exhibit. I can't find it...it's problably right in front of my face.

I get to go this weekend. I'm so excited.

3. Resilient

Resilient Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2003
    This the thread you're looking for, Lesa? http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/21653422/p1/?214 Have fun at the exhibit. It's really cool to see the costumes upclose with how they have it set up at FIDM.

4. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Have fun Lesa. I've been there this week. Went on Monday and going again tomorrow. It's amazing! Photos will be posted once I get home.

5. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    Indeed! I mean when the word came down to me, the date given me
    was CONCRETE.

But life is like that. If you don't brace for that, life will
    be very arduous indeed.

So, I've been away from the boards a little bit, I've been
    dealing with MAJOR LIFE CHANGES. None related to chest pains
    though. Thankfully.

I've been hogging the computer, so I'll try and pry myself away
    from it long enough to let Biba Fett on. But its going to difficult!!!

Hope to see some of you on the Next Fan Day.

6. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Thanks, Resilient! I had not seen that thread. (I've not been out here as much lately.) There was one other thread where users were picking dresses to focus on while at the exhibit. Looks like the link you gave me may have negated that thread.

Are the FIDM and Dressinng the Galaxy threads in the index? I could not find them. But again, I could have missed them.

Thank you all for your help. I'm trying to read through everything and catch up.

7. Resilient

Resilient Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2003
    No problem. Is this the thread that you were thinking about then? http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/21583309/p1/?94 The "Ask Biba Fett" one I linked to first is in the thread index but I don't think this one is since it doesn't contain as much information.

8. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Well, I guess since you all seem to have a wonderful inside contact, the other thread kind of faded away. I think I'm getting caught up on all of this. Thanks!

I did not expect to be going to this and the opportunity just came up this week. Yeah. Now I'm trying to decide if the membership is worth while for me or not. I'll only be there one day. I may buy the big book to, but wanted to see it before purchasing it.

Thanks again for the info.

9. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Which big book? When I was there on Monday, the special edition wasn't available. You could, however, buy the "regular" version.

10. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    I meant the $295 Dressing the Galaxy book. I emailed and thought they had it, but they may have thought I meant the regular one. Do they have a copy there that you can look at?

11. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    They have the non-SE one on display in each room for reference, and they're selling it for about $70, I think, in the gift shop. Apparently Amazon has it for a lot cheaper though (the non-SE).

I don't have time to find all the FIDM threads right now, but if someone can find them and bump them, I'll try to get them into the Index tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks! :)

12. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I didn't bump the threads, but this is what I remember as being relevant to FIDM

Star Wars FIDM Exhibit http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/21131528/p1/?485

Ask Biba-Fett (AKA Mrs Darth_Manos) Dressing A Galaxy questions
    http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/21653422/p1/?214

FIDM Exhibit Assignments - Please post costume specific questions here
    http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/21583309/p1/?94

Notes on Dressing A Galaxy exhibit!
    http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/21694877/p1

------------------

This may also be relevant

Trisha Biggar Book

http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/18682434/p1

- kay dee

13. Princess_Lesa

Apr 10, 2005
    Thank you kay_dee and Sister_Sola! I really appreciate all of the information. I'm off to get a few hours of sleep now...yeah right!

After thinking it over, I'll wait and if I decide to get the book, I'll order one from BN or Amazon...less stuff to carry. :) I'm anxious just to see the regular version too. :)

And, the exhibit of course. I'll report back when I return.

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I was at the exhibit last week and it was beautiful. Biba-Fett and her co-workers did an excellent job displaying the costumes!

I was also very impressed with the friendliness of all the security guards. I spent time talking with several of them and they were very engaging and interested in seeing all the 'nerd alert' stuff I had brought with me like fabric swatches and pictures of me in my picnic costume that I could compare to the original. The guards were great. :)

I will post my notes in the assignment thread and also in costume specific threads. Along with my pictures.

But I have to say that the costume which surprised me the most was Chi Eekway's. The details and the fabrics on it are mouth watering and certainly do not register in the film. Delicious!
    And Queen Breha's dress was so much more sparkly than I had realized. I literally gasped when I saw it. [face_love]

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I was thinking your trip was around this time Dawn :) I'm glad you had a good time. My experience with the Security Guards was the same. I think we add some interest to what is otherwise a somewhat monontonous day for them. They also had fun coming over to give opinions about my swatches and pantone guide.

- Kay Dee

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the guards were really very nice and funny. One of them specifically remembered you! I showed her a picture of me and MiraxTHorn together in our picnic dresses at C3 and she mistook her for you. (I did explain that it was another picnic fanatic in my picture.) She was saying how she remembered you sitting there in front of the dress '...all day!' :)

edit: I had a hard time getting clear pictures because of the lighting. My digital camera doesn't have a low light/museum setting, yerg, but I managed to get a few decent images. I would have loved to take more of the Alderaan group, but it was just too dark for my camera. I didn't take a ton of pictures overall because so much of it has already been well documented by other people who have been there. But I'll try to get them up soon.

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, that was a slight exaggeration but yes - I spent a long time looking at the gown. Would you believe I forgot to get a pantone match for the corset fabric! I have to make a list for my last visit and make sure I spend more time taking notes rather than pictures.

edit:I didn't take a ton of pictures overall because so much of it has already been well documented by other people who have been there.[/quote]

I hear ya. At least you could devote time to really looking at the costumes. I still need to do that. Most time was really spent just taking pics over and over until I got something in focus.

- Kay Dee

18. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I was totally taken with Breha Organa's costume in person as well - it was gorgeous and I spent a while looking at it!

I thought the guards were largely very friendly too - since we were there all day two days in a row, we got to know them pretty well!

19. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I got this email from FIDM. I think I am going to join the "Society" since Shawn informs me that the majority of the $30 membership fee goes to the school to bring more wonderful shows to the school:

Click here for flyer!
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/Yodasushi/emailer.jpg

Also a note from FIDM:

Fans!

With great excitement, the FIDM Museum & Galleries presents Star
    Wars fans everywhere with an exciting opportunity. We have launched
    the Dressing A Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars Society. Own a
    piece of Star Wars costume history!

As a member of the society you receive the following exclusive
    benefits and exciting collectibles.

. A personalized, exclusive FIDM Dressing A Galaxy
    collectible membership card.
    . Unlimited access to the FIDM Museum & Galleries for the
    duration of the exhibition (through December 10, 2005)
    . An exclusive Star Wars hat and additional freebies.
    . Weekly MEMBERS ONLY discount specials (such as particular
    discounts on specific items).
    . A 15% discount on all Star Wars items within our Galaxy
    Shop THROUGH DECEMBER 23, 2005.
    . E-mail updates on product specials in the gallery shop and
    news from FIDM.
    . An invitation to our private closing party!

Additionally, you will have early access to the FIDM Dressing A
    Galaxy exhibition - one hour before the general public on our blow-
    out fan day, December 4th.

You can sign up for a piece of the excitement at our FIDM Galaxy
    Shop or Online at
    www.fidmmuseumshop.com!!

All this can be yours for only:
    $30.00
    ($5 Domestic S&H for this outside of the state of California)

*This membership will be retired upon the closing of the FIDM Museum
    & Galleries Galaxy Shop on December 23, 2005.
    ** All proceeds from this sale go directly to the FIDM Museum &
    Galleries to fund future exhibitions.

20. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    I, too, was there last week. I had on my polo shirt with RL and TJA patches, as well a my local RL group, Alpha Base. One of the guards said, "welcome back", though I hadn't been there before. He was walking away as he said it so I didn't stop him but thought he might have recognized the patches, as the AB pilots (one of whom was there for fan day) have the patch on the jumpsuit.

I have over 300 images I shot with my SLR digital. I was able to get images even in the dark, though they might be a bit blurry as I was hand-holding the long-ish exposures.

I'm still travelling back. Will post them once we arrive home and I have time to edit them.

21. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    /\ I am looking forward to seeing your pics Jedi_Kai as my camera wasn't so cooperative taking pics in the dark.

22. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    The guards were indeed really friendly -- I enjoyed talking with them a great deal.
    :)

The exhibit is so, so lovely. It is immediately evident how much hard work went into it. Major bravo to the FIDM staff.

23. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Here are my photos. I've set permissions on the album to allow everyone to download the high res (2-3 mb each) images. Click on the thumbnail and then see below the larger image "Get Original Uploaded photo"

http://public.fotki.com/Kait/star_wars/fidm_-_dressing_a/

24. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Kai, you got some great shots!
    Thank you for being so generous with the full size images. :)

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thank you so much! I wish I had my own SLR camera to take to FIDM (we'll probably invest in our own in 2006)

I'm in the middle of downloading your high res pics right now :)

- Kay Dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.