main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    At four-years-old either right before or right after watching The Empire Strikes Back:
    -I called "tauntauns" "tan-tans".
    -For some reason I thought the figures for "Princess Leia" and "Leia Organa in Bespin Gown" were for two different people.
    -I thought snowtroopers were "good-guy stormtroopers."
    For years I had no idea what Obi-Wan said to Luke when they met: "The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly."
    Somewhat related, just a couple of weeks ago I realized what "S-foils" means. Space foils, like airfoils or hydrofoils.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  2. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    lol until right now I thought they said "asphalt" I thought it was lock asphalts lol

Worker11811 and MrFantastic74 like this.
  3. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    One of these days, if I live long enough, I'm gonna watch these movies with the subtitles on. Although reading this thread is a big ol' spoiler for that. But then again there's still Jar Jar.

4. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Does obi wan tell Luke "you must do what you feel is rigth of course" or "you must do what you feel is right for the force"?

5. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The former quote is the correct one, I think.

6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Dark Vader

The corridors of Bespin were on a Star Destroyer

Zev and Wedge were the same guy.

7. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    Let's see...there was the usual "Dark Vader," "Lifesaver/Lightsaver," Alderaan=Earth, and "Maybe it's another girl." One incident, however, stands out in my mind above all.

It was just after I had seen Star Wars for the first time (and fallen in love with it); I was only four. I overheard my parents talking about Obi-Wan Kenobi, and, because I didn't recognise the word(s), my childish mind immediately thought that Jawas were called "Obi-Wans." So one day, I put towel over my head like a robe and hood, and started waddling around saying "Look at me, I'm an Obi-Wan!"

Either way...it made sense.

Oh, and I used to pronounce "Neimoidian" as "Nee-ih-moh-dee-an" rather than the correct "Neh-moy-dee-an." I missed the second "i," and didn't realise it was there until I was 13.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  8. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh, I thought that Jedi starfighters can also be called "Jedi warriors" like their pilots, there are horses on Tatooine, Kessel's name is Korsal not Kessel, the Falcon's maximum speed is at 50% over lightspeed, Han's an expert in suicide, J-e-d-i is pronounced "Jehdee" and not "Jedi", emotions and feelings are the same and the Jedi are constantly contradicting themselves, lightsabers are called usually "laserswords" and from and not for a more civilicized age. Because I first saw the movies in their German dubs and this are some errors and changes that have been made in them. Hm... this would be enough for a new thread about non-english translations of Star Wars.

DL44Jo likes this.
  9. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought Mustafar was pronounced Must-ta-far.

10. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    When Ben Kenobi says "The Jundland Wastes are not to be travelled lightly," I thought he said "If a gentleman wastes enough to be travelled, likely." It seemed to make sense to me, since it came right after Luke says "Boy, am I glad to see you!"

11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Yep, I didn't know what he said until I got access to a TV with closed captioning in the early '90s. Before that, those were rare.

12. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    [face_laugh]
    Me too. For a while, I thought he said, "A gentleman wastes.."
    Which may be right, but makes absolutely no sense from a physics perspective. Space is a vacuum, and therefore foils would serve no purpose.

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    -When Threepio and Artoo are in the sandcrawler at the beginning of ANH, instead of Threepio saying, "Do you think they'll melt us down?" I thought he said, "Do you think our motor's down?"

-On Bespin, when Artoo is hooked up to the Cloud City computer during the escape, Threepio says, "We're not interested in the hyperdrive on the Millennium Falcon! It's fixed!" He says it in such a way that I thought he said, "We're not interested in the hyperdrive on the Millennium Falcon! It stinks!"

-I pronounced tauntauns as 'tom-toms'

Hitchhiking-Ghost and MaggieSolo like this.
  14. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    That darth vader was just a cyborg general that worked for the emperor, i had no clue whatsoever of his past as jedi anakin skywalker and how be became the robot, his friendship with obi wan, his wife padme, and most of all-i had no idea his last name was skywalker! I had no idea he was once a good guy too.

Star Wars age 9 and kainee like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Those aren't misconceptions unless you watched all three movies and didn't notice the references:

ANH:
    Ben: "I was once a Jedi Knight, much the same as your father."

RoTJ:
    Luke: "I'm told that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father"
    Vader: "That name no longer has any meaning for me."

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    That Leia was a Skywalker, that leia was vader's daughter, that leia was anakin and padme's daughter, and that luke's parents were anakin and padme. And that Vader was a skywalker.

17. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Uhhh, I'm not reading any misconceptions there.

18. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    When Luke takes off from Dagobah in ESB, I thought Yoda said "Those who are dead, reckless as he"... which didn't make much sense to me, until I checked out the subtitles when the DVD first came out.

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I thought that metal bikini Leia was in a New Hope.

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    That the galactic republic was around just 20 years before the originals. I thought it was an ancient time in the series. I never understood why no one in the originals, other than obi wan once in episode 4, mentioned it. That's like someone forgetting about who the president was 20 years ago.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Lightsabers, lifesavers. Lol. Seems lots of folks did that. All my friends when I was little got that one wrong.

One of the biggest misconceptions when I was a kid was about sound not working in a vacuum. There's no sound in space. I had many arguments with other kids about this. I knew about it because I desperately wanted to be an astronaut until I was ten or so, and found out that air force pilots cannot have corrective lenses (glasses). Also, I had seen the moon landing footage several times before seeing SW and had asked my mom about it.

Actually, the only misconceptions I had as a child watching SW ANH, was that I thought Vader was some kind of evil robot until I watched it the second time. Most science fiction movies in those days always had an evil robot villan. Oddly, I fully understood that stormtroopers were men in armor. I also thought that artoo and threepio were REAL robots for the longest time. I mean, they did a really good job on those costumes!

kainee likes this.
  22. Valley_Lord

Valley_Lord Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2005
    Believed Lightsabers were merely focused light(lasers)
    Believed in the manacheanistic view of the story, eventually realized Obi-Wan refers in his point of view speech to complex motivations.
    Believed the base story was groundbreaking and original (george lucas borrowed from a lot of literary sources)
    Thought ewoks were cool, dissapointed when I learned George Lucas originally wanted Wookies for ROTJ

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What? The lightsabers were focused light beams. Laser swords. What else could they be? Jedi knights are medieval knights in space. Lightsabers are sci-fi or futuristic versions of medieval swords.

Who cares if Lucas borrowed from original stories? If it's a good story, it's a good story, regardless of it being original or cliche.

Wookies on endor would be cool, I agree 100%. Why not mix ewoks and wookies at the end of Jedi? A compromise. Cute aliens can be cool, like Ratchet.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Do they interbreed - and are the offspring Ewokiees?

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No, they're Mogwai obviously. Don't feed them after midnight. :p

Lightsabres=lifesavers. Thought the Rebels had won..somehow...in TESB. At least, that's what I told my mom. :p She was quite concerned about my critical thinking skills with that statement. :p

Valairy Scot likes this.