main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars VII shoul NOT have a female lead

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by RAZORBLADE, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    You know, the Metroid video game series has you play as a female in every single game for every moment of the game. And you know what? It's more popular among dudes than it is among women. Probably because of the lack of dialogue/narrative, but in a video game you don't necessarily need that.

For a more mainstream example, Hunger Games was well received by dudes for having an awesome story. Both of these franchises didn't resort to showing off tons of skin so to speak. They both treated their protagonists like a real person. Gotta give them props for that.

This doesn't necessarily mean I want a female protagonist for 7. But I would be fine with it if they treated her as a human being and not a piece of meat for the audience to gawk at.

Edit: embarrassing sexist typo lol!

Chewgumma, Valairy Scot and LawJedi like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, this pretty much sums it up.

And I'd like to thank the OP for helping me end my day at work in hysterical laughter.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think it's high time Star Wars takes a more post-modern approach to gender, and cast someone in the lead role who's biologically androgynous.

LawJedi likes this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    You know I have tried to be patient with you, but your responses are bordering on the inane. You Sir, are officially an idiot.

eDisc, Chewgumma and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I would say that the lead should be a Hutt, but then Razorblah would have to counter with the logic that space slugs aren't prone to buying merchandise or playing video games and should concern themselves with making him a sandwich & fetching his Bud Ice.

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

(Gif taken from Spirited Away, a bad ass movie with a female protagonist.)

7. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I for one am incapable of relating to anybody who's not a white, male, brunette twenty-something with an average build, vague European descent and east-coast to midwestern cultural values. Anybody else? They don't know no Star Wars!

Let's all hope that the sequel trilogy pushes the envelope in storytelling by sticking to only the most standard character types possible.

Darth Chiznuk and Chewgumma like this.
  8. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I hate these threads that are the lead "should be male" or "should be female" or "should be African American" or "should be gay," etc.

The lead should be someone who is compelling and drives the greater story. That can be achieved with any of the above, through clever writing.

If I go into Ep. VII and it turns out to be an agenda filled storyline to fight the fight of any particular group of people I am going to be turned off.

However, if I go into Ep. VII and the lead happens to be male, female, gay, racial minority, alien, etc. and the story is great I will be ecstatic.

From a business standpoint this film can succeed with any lead that is cleverly written and is compelling.

obi_kenobi_24 and Valairy Scot like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Resident Evil film warranted 7 sequels based upon its unparalleled storytelling and dialogue.

LawJedi and Chewgumma like this.
  10. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Reading your posts I've gathered you want no females and no Sith or even Darkside force users. I would also like the new Star Wars films to be a bunch of men in bath robes sliding down rainbows and mounting brilliant white unicorns.
    Star Wars! phuc ya!

[​IMG]

Give this book a read, you might like it?

[​IMG]

LawJedi likes this.
  11. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009

Star Wars doesn't have the best track record with androgyny. Usually, it leads to the character being killed off violently onscreen. :rolleyes: *cough*Ziro*cough*

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The only reason they were poorly received by the critics is because they all contained the cootie virus!

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.