main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Statement on what happened to the mods

Discussion in 'Communications' started by PhilipWise, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Remember guys if the forums proove to be too much for PhilipWise he wont hesitate to close all Jedi Council forums. So you think its best to keep complaining ? He hasnt said anything all night

2. SPACEMONKEY20

SPACEMONKEY20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001

As for those with the conspiracy theories about suing the mods, there's a reason TFN is an LLC. Read up on LLC's and how they work.

Thank the maker... someone else finally noticed that.

Good find, YodaJeff. :)

Ooh, a puppy!

3. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    This is nothing. This place was better long before most of the recently demoted staff was even here. These are hardly " dark days".

I agree with you on this one, KK.

4. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    And you, and any mods are welcome to try.

I'm nothing, just another user. Having the majority of mods leave and organize in one place is better than having them scatter in the wind.

5. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    There is a lot going on that few people know about. I am not saying I know about it, but I have some ideas and theories from a business owner perspective. Those taking the mods side on a popularity whim are just following blindly. While their intentions are good, they need to really wait and see what was going to happen. It could be PW actually using it against the mods, but I really think it wasn't.

And I believe it was YodaJeff that said look up the meaning of an LLC. Good call YodaJeff. Not many people do understand what a Limited Liability Corporation really is. Lucasfilm is the same thing. LIMITED. Follow YodaJeffs links. It isn't easily explained without bringing up more questions that can be linked to or answered on an existing website.

6. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I might be naive, but I honestly don't think Philip will shut the boards down. I think he's just trying to talk tough to get people to bend to his will through fear.

The populace that comes to the JC is simply too large to ignore. You have a regularly visiting audience that gives the site at least tens of thousands of hits a day. Plus, with Ep. 3 on the horizon, that number will only rise over the next 14 months until the film is released. It would be a bad business decision for Philip to close the boards, which I think are TFN's biggest asset.

7. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Or Short Round McFly, for that matter.

Don't even joke about that. :eek:

8. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    Okay,

Blaming Philip Wise is like blaming Bail Organa.

You think everyone will understand this statement?

9. Skateboard_Jedi

Skateboard_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    Well, I wish I could have been a part of the JC then...but unfortunately, I wasn't...these are the darkest days I've seen here.

[image=http://www.ginnyowens.com/images/photoalbum/annie.jpg]

"The sun'll come out
    Tomorrow
    Bet your bottom dollar
    That tomorrow
    There'll be sun!

Just thinkin' about
    Tomorrow
    Clears away the cobwebs,
    And the sorrow
    'Til there's none!

When I'm stuck with a day
    That's gray,
    And lonely,
    I just stick out my chin
    And Grin,
    And Say,
    Oh

The sun'll come out
    Tomorrow
    So ya gotta hang on
    'til tomorrow
    Come what may

Tomorrow!
    Tomorrow!
    I love ya
    Tomorrow!
    You're always
    A day
    A way!"

10. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    I kept saying I wasn't going to post but I think I want to make a point here - and let me say that this is in no way meant to offend or talk down to anyone - this is not a personal attack but instead something that is for you to think about.

I think what everyone is dealing with is a double edged sword right now. While I don't agree with what has been done or how it was done, I have only posted once on this issue and that was in support for Obi_Dawn in the C&P forum - my post was short because I was still shocked at what was happening.

The first edge is the shock edge. We are all upset and protesting what has been done. But are the cries being heard? I think they are being heard by the people who want to hear it - namely ex-mods. I truthfully don't think that Mr. Wise is listening and has no intention of listening. Now if we go through and keep protesting by either not posting or complaining about the issue, Mr. Wise may take and shut the boards down because, well, it is his right and to be honest he may only deal with the bad mouthing for so long. If we stop posting in protest he may shut the boards down because of inactivity.

The other edge is what Sape has suggested. We can stand united as a group and show that we are united for a common goal. We want the mods reinstated and we want what we had last week. Sape - I think this is by far a noble idea but I fear that again the pleas will fall on deaf ears. Having faith may not be the best idea. We can again stand united behind the ex-mod that everyone seems to love and follow in another protest - but again Mr. Wise may just see this as a hassle and shut the boards down just for spite.

Personally I have lost all faith - first was with FF and now with the remainder of TF.N. I honestly can't see anyone wanting to be a mod if the information guideline doesn't change.

This is my opinion only and I am not trying to start a flame war here. Mods and ex-mods understand this - you have my support no matter what happens from here. I hope that something can be done or some agreement can be reached that will benefit both the ex-mods and the Forums as a whole. If not I fear that these boards will become a very dark, unorganized, and sad place to be.

Good Luck

Dave

11. LoyalJedi

LoyalJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 22, 2002
    I honestly can't see anyone wanting to be a mod if the information guideline doesn't change.

Well...some people want to be mods, but I wouldn't say they're the best people for the job.

12. FuzzyRatt

FuzzyRatt Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2003
    Dark Lady Mara and KnightWriter have fallen into shadow! :(

That was a lose that I did not see coming. It is a sad day. [face_plain]

I understand why PhilipWise needs the true I.D.s of the Mods. He is hailed accountable for what they do. In a way, the Mods are his employees and are the managers of his bussiness.

I am a manager. I have been one for three differant companies. Everything I did, was a reflection of the owners. If I did not do my job the owner had to do something about me. They never had to and never will.

"LFL contacts this site and says they're pissed about the leaked marketing video, for example. If it happens again, each hotlink or imbedded pic in your spoilers forum is a $50,000 fine. That's a tough bill to swallow individually. To assure LFL that TF.N is a partner in all this and wouldn't harm their relationship, they will make the individual forum mods who missed the link or pic and allowed it to happen to be held responsible because 'of course' the owner would most certainly never do anything to offend the Official Site like that. A name and an address gives LFL everything they need to ruin a person who has a family and a home. It would all be up to risk. That is a risk we didn't sign up for when we became mods."

He is the owner and is still the one that would get the fine. He could not pass that fine on to a Mod. That would be against the Law as I understand it. A manager/ or Mod can only be fined by a law they personally brake. Say, the sale a beer to a minor. The place they work gets a large fine and the employee gets a fine of about 10%. LFL are not going after a man on a board that misses a link. A mod does not have enough money to cover one of GL's lawyers lunches much less a court battle.

I feel (and I may be wrong) that Mr. Wise needs this info to call Mods to count in defence of himself. To state that the Force.net does all it can to stop users from stealing from LFL. He can't to this if he doesn't know who his Mods are for real.

That being said, I do feel the way he went about getting the information was wrong. I all so feel the Mods should have been given a week (not two days) to give the info or step down. The VIP issue should never had even come up.

I short, I would have required that every Mod's true name, address, and voice phone number be in my file. I know many of you feel diffent. I just would not stick my neck out in count with employees that I have no idea who they are. [face_plain]

13. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    Well,

I understand Philip Wise's position on this, and really he's now just a scapegoat. I assure you, from the sounds of things, he was stonewalled into this decision, and hey, like I said, if IGN is paying a piece of the bill then they have a piece of the say.

It sucks that Wise got hate mail hateful enough to realize that some of the mods were very spiteful, malicious people or what not, but that's not the case for many other mods and I think that can be determined by how they post.

I mean, I've been banned numerous times but you can tell it's because I'm Darth Vegas and I'm a stand up lounge act with bad jokes that sometimes are so bad... well you get it. It's just a joke, I get banned for a day, oh well, come back, have fun. I'm here for spoilers because I'm SW fan. I've been on TFN since the beginning because I've been a systems programmer since before the internet became the "world wide web".

I've seen and talked with some very cool people here and I can generally tell who's good and who's rotten. Guys like Darth Sapient and Grilled-Sarlacc are stand up guys who really make these boards shine. This is how one should determine who's a good mod and who's questionable.

Guys like KnightWriter keep controversial posters out of the Senate Threads and does a damn good job. I know because I've been one of those controversial, 'overly ironic' people. But we both know that I'm not a trolling problem, he's just modding and giving people breaks. Fine. He did a helluva job. These are the type of people needed as mods here and they shouldn't have to give up their privacy as payment.

But I don't blame Wise. Not at all. Look at the part he plays in this business of internet politics and advertising.

Frankly, I blame Frank. Palpatine that is. ;)

14. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    Vegas,

Well-stated ... as always. [face_laugh]

15. LoyalJedi

LoyalJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 22, 2002
    I concur, and you're definitely right...all the mods here did a good job at the job they were supposed to do. So now I ask you...if the mods do not get reinstated, who can you honestly see taking over?

16. Emperor's Prize

Jun 17, 1999
    Does it really matter? I'm sure whoever carries on will be capable. It won't be better, just different. The real damage is all of the bad PR. And THAT is something that won't be wiped away overnight. :p

17. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I assure you, from the sounds of things, he was stonewalled into this decision

Where does this information come from?

18. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    I nominate Darth Vortex.

EDIT

Vegas forgot the [sarcasm][/sarcasm]

19. Emperor's Prize

Jun 17, 1999
    CO is a businessman ... and I'm sure he's looking at it from that perspective. Though, even if PW had NO CHOICE to ask for that info, he still picked the absolutely wrong way to go about it.

EDIT:

I nominate Darth Vortex.

[face_laugh]

20. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    if you asked me how it sounded i'd say it sounded like he's just a jerk that doesnt want to share what he's doing with the users

dont assume from that i'm one of the disgruntled idiots running around insulting phil uselessly

21. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I assure you, from the sounds of things, he was stonewalled into this decision

Where does this information come from?

I second lexu's question. Also, if that were the case, why did he not simply say "Sorry, this isn't my doing, IGN's making me do it."?

Don't leave me.
    Don't ignore me.
    Don't kill me!

Phillip Wise is a Richard!

22. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    There's no reason to think it had anything to do with IGN. This is a new TF.N staff policy; Wise (sadly) owns TF.N.

23. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Also, if that were the case, why did he not simply say "Sorry, this isn't my doing, IGN's making me do it."?

Exactly. Philip is very aware of the PR pounding he's taken here since Friday. If there was a way he could pass the buck to someone else in order for him to look better, I'm sure he would have done so. Even if IGN is the real source of all this, Philip's not telling anyone strikes me as more paranoid than anything the (now ex-) mods have done.

24. Emperor's Prize

Jun 17, 1999
    Maybe PW IS Vortex???? Nahhh.... :p

And as far as I know there's no evidence saying that IGN applied any leverage in this action. Though it even if it had, that doesn't justify the upheaval that PW has caused through his mismanagement.

25. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Even if DS is restored and all that we once loved is strong again, will we still be safe? I mean this issue will remain hanging over the head of the community.

!snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.