main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still a Work in Progress: Welcome to the Community Forum!

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 27, 2012.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, 72 hours is totally reasonable. In the Breaking Bad thread, we discuss episodes the night they're aired... but the thread title warns for spoilers. So if you go into that thread, it's your own fault.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I was actually thinking 48 hours is more than reasonable.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    there are only a few shows that i watch right when they air. community, mad men, etc., but i feel like when i go into those threads right after the episode airs people on the east coast or whatever are already discussing the episodes, and it's never been a problem. you just know that you should steer clear of the thread if you haven't seen the most recent episode yet.

i guess that's what bugs me about this. the mods are saying it's no biggy and that it's really just the already established policy, but it doesn't feel like that's the case at all.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So you slap them with a spoilers label and the rules don't even apply. :p

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So... what's the point of this thread, again? :p

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The JCC has always been much better in my experience than the rest of the internet when it comes to whining about "spoilers." Like, I still see people complain when someone casually mentions (i.e., not trolling) the ending of the fourth season of Breaking Bad.

I've never really understood people caring about knowing plot points in advance, since to me that's only a small fraction of the experience. I can understand avoiding them, but other than that? Eh. I find these rules confusing (what about spoilers for media that don't have threads and most JC'ers don't care about?) and largely unnecessary, I remember getting warned for Dark Knight Rise spoilers at the temp boards but I'm pretty sure that was over two weeks after the film was released. :p

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I think that part of the point of this endevour is that JCC, Amph, and the SF forums each had different policies about spoilers. We want to make sure that everyone's on the same page.

I'd be down with 48 hours, too. There comes a point that you just know not to enter a tv thread if you haven't seen the latest episode.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So... is this the way things are going to go? This sounds pretty authoritative and final. The OP pretty much says that there needs to be spoiler threads for all releases that are discussed. If that's not the case, maybe the OP should be revised. If you're going to threaten bans, make sure the policy is clear. So far, most of the mods, aside from the OP, say the policy is different than what's in the opening post.

Is it really going to be a month for books? That seems like a pretty long time.

I don't really have a comment for comics, because I don't really read them... and I think we have a specific comic thread people post in. I don't know how spoilers have gone in that thread, but a week seems like a long time.

A week for a television episode is ridiculous.

Movies... I don't know (don't really care).

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Unrelated spoiler story: Once someone thought it would be a great idea to post the entire synopsis for ASoIaF up until ADwD in response to someone asking what Game of Thrones was about....in a social thread. That was fun.

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Maybe a stupid question, but how does the spoiler tag work on the new boards? I expected there to be a button in the formatting bar. The place with the cutting edge gifs had that several years ago.

11. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    [ spoiler ]*whatever you're hiding*[ /spoiler ]

Just like that but without any spaces between the brackets and 'spoiler' or '/spoiler'.

See!

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's [spoiler="This is a description of the spoilered content because I am cool person that uses the description feature"]This is the spoiler SNAPE KILLS CHARLES FOSTER KANE ZOMG[/spoiler]

This is the spoiler SNAPE KILLS CHARLES FOSTER KANE ZOMG

As for why it's not in the format bar - no idea, probably related to the fact that it's a non-standard extension, or because Grimby doesn't want the format bar messed around with. Of course, the really cool folks just use plaintext edit mode and the BB Code reference page anyway.

Edit: jackg1 Really, no [plain][/plain] markups? I'm disappointed. :p

prj1 and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  13. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    What is this witchcraft?! [face_hypnotized]

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but now it's actually mre complicated than on the old boards, where I just had to highlight the text black, which I could do using just the formatting bar, and didn't have to memorize or copy-paste any BBC?

Progress ...

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, I think what would help is having a shortcut button in the toolbar.

But yankee, you can still highlight if you wish....

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't disagree on it needing to be in the formatting bar, but right now it isn't. Again - don't know why.

Although, frankly, as code memorization goes, it doesn't get much better than [spoiler][/spoiler] being the spoiler tag.

Unless you're really keen on highlighting, I suppose.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Doing the coding doesn't bother me in the slightest, of course I've had other boards that have frelled him my HTML so much when I use Rich Text Editor, that I pretty much almost always stick to doing the HTML code by hand when I make posts, so I'm used to it.

18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    There are now too many sticky threads. I hope that - after sufficient airtime - the spoiler rules will simply be added to the community rules and policy thread.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's the plan, yes.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I still get multiple alerts for the same quote or like and such. I am mixed on this. On one side it is abug, on the other it makes me feel wanted to get multiple alerts. :p

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i disabled the alerts for quotes weeks ago. no regrets.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't mind the coding, and do in fact use the description feature on occasion. Whether I use the [ spoiler ] tag or [ hl=black ] tag depends on the spoiler. If it's a sentence to a paragraph in length I'll use the [ spoiler ] tag. If it's a word to a phrase in length I'll simply highlight.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't realize that hl still worked. Huh.

Sent from your mom's.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You used the formatting bar? What a n00b. Back in my day, we had to memorize the markups... and we LIKED IT! We didn't have no fancy pants emoticon drop down either! If you wanted a [face_griffz], why, then you sure as heck typed it in gosh darnit!

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    How are things coming on fixing the multiple alerts going? It seems like, rather than getting 2 alerts when someone quotes something I posted, now I get three.