main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO StL's Official Costuming thread!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    If we want to do a saber making class it would probably be even more benificial to make everyone one for the fan film. Perhaps we could start at my house some time, then all pile in the van and go to Lowes with a shopping list and then come back and make sabers.

However, I'd have to get the main tool to do it again (I borrowed one from a friend)... and they're expensive. Anyone happen to have a dremmel?

And speaking of fan film and costumes, There's also the hologram of the besieged pilot in the hologram that will require a costume of some kind (from the waist up at least). For some reason I'm thinking a Bravo Leader type helmet and a microphone used to hide the perons's mouth (like Han in the AT-ST in RotJ) so you can still tell it's Skyrax that sent the transmission but not have it be blatantly obvious.

2. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Jon, is there a home depot near you as well, the last couple sabers I built I wound up getting parts from both home depot and lowes.

3. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    no home depot to my knowledge.

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I have both Home Depot nad Lowes with in 2 miles of my house, so we could move it over here if you want. The Home Depot is like a half mile away.

Also how many sheets does is take per suit of armor? I put a feeler out to get up various accessories for the armor, helmet etc. Looks like we're going to be splitting it at least 10 ways.

5. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    (32) Vaccum-frame sized sheets of .080 Guage Polystyrene Plastic

6. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    And what does one sheet cost?

7. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    From SteeLep's post:You can buy styrene for $25-50 a sheet

I think each large sheet can then be cut into 8-10 vacuform sized pieces.

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    A week from today Yama is having a thing at his house to talk about the vacuforming and other things. I and Randy are going, some of you might want to come as well.

9. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I'm in. Carpool anyone?

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I would, but I might actually be late and run there right from work. I still don't know what my schedule will be. I'll find that out today.

11. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    If it's next Monday, I'm working from 8:30ma to 8:30pm, and might have a hard time making it, unless you're planning on meeting later in the evening.

I really want a set. My wife and I still get into "aggresive negotiations" over it. If the cost is down, it will only help my cause. :D

12. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    what time are we planning on?

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Monday May 17th For any of you that would like to get stared on a
    costume, round up and squeeze out every point in you character, work
    on equipment and lean more about the rules and influences. It will
    start at 5 and end at?
    This far the agenda this is Our agenda
    1 Archon Discussion.
    2 Vacuum form Discussion.
    3 Charter Discussion.
    4 Rules Changes and Updates.
    5 Character Creation.
    6 ROLE PLAY!!! That's right if will get every one wrote up at decent
    hour and get all of our other business out of the way we can
    commence roleplaying.
    Hope to see every one there
    William Cain Supreme Chancellor

That is directly from Yama's post from his yahoogroup. He posted directions, but I don't want to post them here without his consent. Send him a PM to get them (or talk to me).

Anyone who cannot come don't worry. We are starting nothing this day I believe, just discussing what will happen. I will post what we are planning on, and if you are truly serious about the armor I will make sure you are not left out of the serious planning.

14. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
  15. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    For those who haven't done the research, ABS is usually glossier and better quality than styrene. But as you can see it's also more expensive.

16. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Um, where is the meeting at? What city? I might be able to make it, although I don't really know much about costuming and such, I think this could get me started.

17. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    All right. Tonight I did some serious figuring trying to figure out exactly what everything would cost everyone. I used Studio Creations as my resource. Here's my break down (by steps):

Body Cast
    I haven't looked up every product inolved yet, but I'm estimating it should be oughly around $300-$400. However this would be divided among the number of people investing in this project. It will also require 5+ people to do. 1 model, and several other to apply the bandages to the model.

I'm thinking that Dajuan's b/f (Randy) should be the model. He's around 6'0" and has a fairly good build. Thus, for the smaller people we could cut a bit off the top and reheat the plastic and form it into a slightly smaller shape.

So if we have 10 people interested, figure this step costing $50 at most.

Costume sculpt
    This is the 1st sculpt for the costume. Material for this should cost around $150. Thus, w/ 10 people, that's $15 a person.

plaster mold
    I wasn't able to find any prices for this so I'll shoot high and say this step should cost $300. Again, $30 per person.

Vacuform table
    I figure most of the expensive parts (ie the Shop Vac) someone already has (I think Dajuan said she had one, but it needs to be 3 or 4 horsepower) so we can probably build this for <$50. So $5 per person.

Everything above can be bought communally. From this point in, everything will be bought seperately.

Plastic
    Using the price that SteelLepp mentioned earlier (and figuring that each of those sheets could make 4 vacuformed sized pieces), this would cost roughly $200 per person.

EDIT: Looking back at Steel's post, the prices he quoted are very thin and would probably not be a good thickness to use. .8 gauge is recommended if I remember. I haven't been able to find prices for that thickness so I'll leave the $200 for now.

Detailing and Assembling
    I'm estimating this will cost roughly $50 per person, depending on how fancy you want to get.

Other parts
    The aforementioned costs only include the hard plastic parts. In addition, you will be needing a body suit ($40) and shoes ($70).

Also, if we think we're good enough, we can attempt to mold our own helmet. These prices have assumed that we would. However, if we can't make a good sculpture of a stormtooper helmet using clay, then we'll most likely have to buy one. Decent quality ones start at $70 on ebay (look for Don Post. NOT Rubies) and go all the way up to several hundred.

Total
    If we build a helmet, the total comes to just over $400 per person. If we buy helmets seperately, it will be closer to $450-500.

So, knowing all that, how many are still interested? Also, who wants to volunteer their space to do this. I can volunteer the attic of my garage and or my old basement, but neither are comfortable to work in.

18. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Wow, that was a long post. I am very interested in this project. I would offer space if I had it, but my basement is in total dissaray, and my dad is currently in the process of finishing it, so I really don't have anywhere to do it.

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm still in. I will get the cash in little parts if necessary. I will bring Jon's post to next Monday's thing.

20. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Actually, Studio Creations recomends .080 for styrene & .090 for ABS (which is roughly the 3/32" posted above) .8 would be very thick (and heavy and hot)

Using SC's 21x24 frame size as a guide and the 40x72 sheet size, we could make approximately 6 frame sized pieces per sheet (not sure if an inch off the "21" would affect the chest/back armor any).

21. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    How big is a vacuform table?

22. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    The vacuumtable has to be bigger than your vacuumframe. Actual demensions beyond that are kinda sketchy. I would say, using the 21x24 frame above, the table should probably be around 30x35.

23. yodaismygod

Jun 25, 2002
    Do we have anybody who would be any good at making the moldings?

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I have some sculpting experience, but I don't know how good I would be.

Also I can give rides to anyone near to Science Center or Webster Groves.

25. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Actually, Studio Creations recomends .080 for styrene & .090 for ABS (which is roughly the 3/32" posted above) .8 would be very thick (and heavy and hot)

Thanks for catching my mistake. I swear I'm dislexyc (sp?) and moved the decimal point.

Do we have anybody who would be any good at making the moldings?

The guy that created the Studio Creations site said it took him 3 weeks to make the helmet while working full time and having no prior experience. Thus, it can't be to hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.