main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Stover's books

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Ricky_Skywalker, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricky_Skywalker

Ricky_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 30, 2003
    I have a question to people who have read Matthew Stover's books outside from SW-series. I would read some of them, but they aren't accesible in my country (Poland) and I must order them from Amazon. Could you recommend me the most interesting book? Maybe there are some books written similarly to "Traitor" or "Shatterpoint"? ;) Please tell me everything what you know about Stover's books :)

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Look into the two Acts of Caine books, Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle. Here Stover offers a pretty seamless blending of sci-fi and fantasy defined by gut-wrenching action, emotion, as well as bold thematic breakthroughs on social arrangement, broken families, RPG obsession, and most importantly, never giving up despite life?s tendencies to offer many opportunities to do so. Heroes Die is a nice introduction to Caine?s heroics and the duel worlds he haunts. Blade of Tyshalle takes that foundation and offers a previously unseen level of subversive continuation, and remains one of the most iconic books I?ve ever read.

3. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I've actually tried to distance myself from Stover. His style of writing is rather peculiar and they he develops his introductory characterizations throw the reader off into a tangent. Maybe I've just been reading his less successful works.

4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Moleman, I found the same thing too and I was pleasantly surprised by his novelization of RotS. I would be open to reading something else by him. At some point. ;)

5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    His cain books are awesome. I have his iron dawn books, but have yet to read them.

6. bobafett_1fan

bobafett_1fan Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    I also love the Cain books! Though I am in the middle of reading the Blade of Tyshelle. I got into them after I met Matthew Stover at a Book signing. Very good! I havent read the others, Except the ROTS! But I would recomend them.

7. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I [face_love] Stover's work. Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle are must-reads for any sci-fi/fantasy fan. They are a little edgy, but I don't read many things like that, so it was something interesting and out of the ordinary for me at least. His characters are so well developed that they really seem to come alive.

8. The_Flargg

The_Flargg Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2004
    Caine: one of the best sci-fi/fantasy characters. That one chapter about "darkness revealing who you truly are" in Blade of Tyshalle: awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.