main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Straw Poll

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Just_A_Slacker, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Dagsy wrote;
    However, I would be in favour of, after 6 months as a mod, the mod would step down for a month. In this time, the mod would get a NEW sock, and post as an anonymous new member, with no priveledges.

This would allow the mods to not get too far away from the members. Hopefully try to stop them ascending the 'Ivory Tower'.

All that is complicated and unnecessary. All that needs to happen is for moderators to continue to actively participate in their respective forums. No doubt they were given their positions because of their activity in a given forum.

There's a lot to be said for continuing to start threads and contribute to discussion in one's forum for being able to "stay in touch". Once a mod loses interest in their forum's discussion, perhaps it is time to step down or shift roles into an area that does interest.

As for this whole thread. Yes / No answers don't help the moderators one bit, other than to reaffirm that the usual people continue to have no-confidence in the administration.

If you actually wanted to help improve the boards, you should take the time (as Dagsy and a few others have done) to explain your answers so the reasons behind your perception of this place can be considered.

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    As much as I would like to do the whole yes/no thing, I don't believe either alone can answer most of the questions.

1) Are the mods/admins out of touch with the concerns of the regular posters?

Some are, some aren't. Naturally, we can't list those that we think aren't, as that would create drama, so I'm generally curious as to how we go about affecting change in that arena? Do we PM one of the big three?

2) Are the mods/admins doing a good job of leading the boards?

Again, some are, some aren't. I like to think that those who aren't are outweighed by those who are, as those who aren't probably aren't negatively affecting the good mods.

3) Would you favor a shakeup in the mods/admins by way of replacing them with new blood?

Replacing all mods? No. Replacing some? Yes. Essentially, those who are in #1 and those who aren't in #2.

4) If you could, would you cast a vote of "No Confidence" in the current administration?

Not as such. There are good mods out there.

5) Mods and Admins are essentially permanent positions. Would you prefer a system where mods and admins are a temporary position that would keep a mod on for 6 months and then replace him with someone different?

No. There's no reason to get rid of good mods.

6) Do you feel that mods/admins should only debate board issues in private?

No. There's absolutely no reason that they shouldn't debate in public.

7) Do you feel that regular users should be allowed to read-only the Mod Squad threads that do not directly effect board security?

If #6 were to take effect, this question becomes moot.

8) Do you feel that mods/admins use their power to their own whims?

Most don't. But it happens from time to time, and should be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

9) Do you feel that mods/admins should be held to a stricter code than normal members, including harsher punishments for indiscretions?

I feel mods should be held to the same code as normal users, but should suffer harsher punishments.

10) Do you feel that all mods/admins should publically comment on issues in the Communications forum on a regular basis?

Yes. Like #6, there's no reason for them not to.

Amazing.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Yes. Like #6, there's no reason for them not to.

How about having nothing to do with certain forums or policies? I don't expect someone in Role Playing to take much of an interest in what goes on in the Senate, and so on.

4. LumpyMaiden

LumpyMaiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    How about having nothing to do with certain forums or policies? I don't expect someone in Role Playing to take much of an interest in what goes on in the Senate, and so on.

i agree that if they're not involved, then they don't need to post. however, the way i see it, at least, is that if they are going to be involved in the discussion about a particular subject in the mod squad then they should take part in the parallel discussion in communications, if one exists.

5. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    In this time, the mod would get a NEW sock, and post as an anonymous new member, with no priveledges.

I have to agree that all this is complicated and unnecessary. But furthermore, this may be something that some of the mods do not wish to do, for the simple reason of - why can't they stay as themselves? This is as though they wanted to have a discussion from a different point of view, because each user is unique. But I'm sure that if they want to have a serious discussion, they want to do in exactly the same way as before.

In response to what jp-30 said,

If you actually wanted to help improve the boards, you should take the time (as Dagsy and a few others have done) to explain your answers so the reasons behind your perception of this place can be considered.

I originally posted Yes/No answers in respect to JAS's wishes. However, I really feel that I must now support my answers. (Answers in brackets are my original answers.)

1) Are the mods/admins out of touch with the concerns of the regular posters?

(No.) I think that a small number may be out of touch, but it seems to me that the majority is willing to listen, and furthermore, does know what the regular posters want. It seems to me more that the concern is whether they are willing to actually take action about these concerns, not so much as whether they know about them.

2) Are the mods/admins doing a good job of leading the boards?

(At most times, yes. However, there are moments when we are left wondering otherwise.) I assume that this means setting a good example for fellow posters.

I must say that there have definitely been mods like Kadue, Nate, SotS, j-m-t and others that definitely set a very positive example. At other times, mods have also shown themeselves to have a level of patience that we wish them to have.

However, there have been certain incidents that have left us wondering about some other moderators. Leaving the LMM incident out, we still see mods leaving spam threads open or even participating in some of them, among other examples.

3) Would you favor a shakeup in the mods/admins by way of replacing them with new blood?

(No.) Maybe some admins may have to go in favour of others, but really, I am quite content with many others around. It seems that the admins have quite a lot of "new blood" within already.

4) If you could, would you cast a vote of "No Confidence" in the current administration?

(No.) I think that this administration is better than some previous ones, in fact. Some unpleasant incidents is not enough to say that the entire batch does not deserve our confidence.

5) Mods and Admins are essentially permanent positions. Would you prefer a system where mods and admins are a temporary position that would keep a mod on for 6 months and then replace him with someone different?

(No.) I believe that this suggestion was brought up before, and it was refuted by a very simple fact - more admins have been brought in during the last 6 months than we could think, and more admins have also stepped down than we think. Our perception seems to be clouded by the idea that the members we want to be admins may not become admins, and that is why some may want the "replacement". Good mods should stay, if they have the time and are not bothered too much by RL. Bad mods...will go in due course of time.

6) Do you feel that mods/admins should only debate board issues in private?

(No.) I feel that it is very important that the members should know what the mods think about an issue. If members wish to have a response to a certain issue, mods should make whatever thoughts they have in their private forum also known in the relevant thread in Communications.

7) Do you feel that regular users should be allowed to read-only the Mod Squad threads that do not directly effect board security?

(No.) How do we define what is board security anyway? Some mods may feel th

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Darth_Envy

Darth_Envy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 20, 2002
    I only want to comment on #5. I don't know why people think term limits are such great things. all a 6 month service term does is force new training of new mods that aren't necessarily as good as their predecessors. If a mod sucks, they will be removed. If someone is a great JC member and warrants being a mod, they will be noticed.

When Sapient was promoted to mod, I wasn't surprised at all. He is very dedicated to these boards and deserves his position. Losing him or any other mod to an arbitrary term limit is an extremely stupid idea. Mods should lose their positions only if they want to step down or if they have violated the TOS in some way.

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "How about having nothing to do with certain forums or policies? I don't expect someone in Role Playing to take much of an interest in what goes on in the Senate, and so on."

But they can still have opinions. It generally doesn't take much to get caught up on an issue. A link or two and arguments from both sides are really all it takes. I don't think all mods should comment on all issues, because that is unrealistic. But I do think all mods should comment on some issues, and I don't think even that happens.

Amazing.

8. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    I agree with Red.
    <Just copy his answers into this post.>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.