main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW RPG

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by Phlonet, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phlonet

Phlonet Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    Idari mentioned that there might be some interest here for a regular SW RPG group. I'm willing to play or GM - whichever is needed. If I GM, my preference is the old West End rules, since I have boxes of books for that. But in a pinch I could probably do the (inferior) WotC version.

I haven't GMed a game since early 2000, but previous to that I was GMing Star Wars (and other games) pretty regularly for about 10 years.

Heck, I've got another box or two of other RPGs, from GURPS to Jovian Chronicles to Cyberpunk to even a few Palladium games if people wanted to play a different type of game.

Let me know, either here or at kris(AT)phlogiston(DOT)net if you're interested.

Thanks,

-Phlonet (Kris)

2. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    I don't know how to play but would be willing to learn if someone would be willing to teach me. :)

3. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I've always wanted to learn how to play both of the SWRPG games. You'll have to be patient with me though, because I can be rather slow in catching on to these types of things. :)

4. Phlonet

Phlonet Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    I've always preferred the older version. The game mechanics of the West End version are a bit easier, use only 6 sided dice, and are a bit more modern - no levels, no hit points, faster combat... That, and the high quality of the West End source material. Many of the items that found their way into Star Wars novels and background began as West End creations.

Well, also because of many hundreds of dollars of material wrapped up in the old books too :)

RPGs are pretty easy to learn - all you really need to start is an active imagination. The rules and game mechanics will come naturally as you play the game.

5. Tarr

Tarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2002
    I'd definately be interested in something like this. You can count me in.

6. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    Sounds like fun. I had played some Rifts with some friends a while ago. But thats about it for RPGs for me. I'm definately game as long as i can play a wookiee =P

7. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    general.....count me in ;)

8. Phlonet

Phlonet Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    Wow, that was a pretty big response! Looks like we have five players, plus myself. I could probably handle one more if there's someone else who really wants in, but that's it. Even at 5, it'll be a bit chaotic :)

The next step is to actually figure out what kind of game people want to play. Actually, it might be easiest to do that via email. Send me an email at kris(at)phlogiston.net. Please include a few things like:

In what era do you want to play? Rebellion is the easiest, but I can probably handle just about any.

What type of game do you want to play (depends a bit on era)? Smuggler/Merchant, Imperial, Rebel, Bounty Hunter, Dance Troupe, Racing Team, X-Files, Law Enforcement... pretty much anything goes.

What type of character do you want to play? Pilot, Mercenary, Bounty Hunter, Entertainer, Jedi (very restricted to start), Diplomat, Nerf herder, Military...

What race do you want to play? I'm pretty open to just about anything except Jawas, Ewoks and Hutts. I have a couple books full of different races, or you can invent your own. Regular run-of-the-mill humans are a lot of fun are the most flexible :)

When can you start and how often can you play?

9. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    WOH!

That is way too many options for people who don't have a clue how to play, like myself. Maybe we can meet up one day. Then we can look at the books. Make our characters. Have like a tutorial game. I think that would be better.

As far as times we could get together. We so many people that will definately be a toughie. I'm usually open on the weekends except in November i start over time at work till Xmas. So it would have to be after 6. What did i get myself into haha.

10. Phlonet

Phlonet Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    Yeah, its a lot easier to figure things out in person when you have some reference materials. As to scheduling, my weekends are pretty open, with just a couple exceptions. Weekdays are doable after 6. For the initial meeting, not everyone needs to be there - 2 or 3 at a time might even be easier.

We have one player in Boston, one just a couple blocks from me - I'm not sure about the rest. Scheduling actual game times will definitely be a challenge.

And then there's the negotiations with my wife for use of the apartment... :)

11. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Tell your wife you are altering the deal and pray that you don't alter it any further. [face_mischief]

I'd love to play as well.

12. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    i'd just like to mention that i probably won't have any time whatsoever to do this until after halloween. i'm just way too swamped with costumes (yes plural :p)

13. MonaLeia

Jan 13, 2003
    Ooooh costumes... :D

14. Phlonet

Phlonet Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    My mother-in-law will be visiting from Wisconsin until Nov 4th, so I won't be able to do anything until after then anyway.

It looks like we have 6 players now. I know one lives in Boston... is everyone else fairly local? I live in Warwick (near Idari it turns out), but we can play just about anywhere. Also, how frequently do you want to play? Once or twice a month? Once a week? I have the feeling that scheduling is going to be a challenge regardless.

15. MonaLeia

Jan 13, 2003
    I'm cool with weekends and evenings, though weeknight evenings are iffy (school and homework and all). I'm pretty local, ie Providence, and I can drive so it's good.

However much you want to do it is fine, we'll see how it goes...

16. Tarr

Tarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2002
    Any day/time should be good for me. Although week days would be preferable weekends are fine.

17. Phlonet

Phlonet Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    Hi folks,

I haven't forgotten - life has just been really busy the past couple weeks. I'll post some more information when things settle down a bit.

18. Phlonet

Phlonet Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    I just wanted to apologize to those who were interested. I just haven't had the free time I thought I had. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.