main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL SW Weekends 2003

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jace Darkrider, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Hello there Orlando System! Your neighbors from the north (Atlanta) are planning to make a trip down to SW Weekends @ MGM in May. We were looking from some feedback from those who may have gone in 2001 and also some advice on hotel stay.

As a former resident of O-town, I am fairly familiar with the Disney area. My mom lives in Orlando, so I come to town at least twice a year for visits.

Basically, the Hothlanta Rebels are looking for info on what you guys are planning, when you are all going, good & reasonably priced places to stay, etc. Any feedback is really appreciated and helpful.

Thanks! :)

2. Red-24

Red-24 Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    You picked a good year to come. I work at Star Tours so I get know all the good stuff before the general public. This years Star Wars weekends will be from May 15 to June 16th. That's right! An extra weekend! HOOT! They haven't been able to pin down who is going to be here and when, that won't come until much closer to the event. Even then those things change the day of the events. If you want to stay in the park I would go with the Disney's Wilderness Lodge.
    It's going to be the best Star Wars weekends yet!

3. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Hey Jace! Glad to hear you guys are coming down. I suppose we'll have to treat you with the same hospitality you treated us at The St. Patty's parade last year. :)

4. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Hi LordGita, are you coming up for this year's parade? I finally joined up with the 501st GA Garrison (doing an Imperial Officer, ID-1074) after the last parade.

I think the Hothlanta Rebels are considering the weekend of the 15th anyhow, so that is good timing. I know for hotels, we were considering the All Star Movie Resort. But we wanted to get a better feel of what was going on. Is the Orlando System or the FL Garrison doing anything special for SW Weekends?

5. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Welcome to the Dark Side Jace. :D

I know for sure the FL 501st will be doing something, not sure exactly what yet though. At the very least we will have a mass trip to MGM for it. :) As for hotels I have no idea because we always stay with troopers that live locally and I am sure we could probably put up most of you all too if you wanted. It would depend on how many and when. I could find out from the locals about hotels if you like.

6. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    YO YO YO!!! Well yes star wars weekends is indeed incredible!! I enjoyed it, at least!! HAHAHAH! Yeah enjoyed it enough to make a site about it!! As most of us know I like to spend my non-hw doing time working on HTML! so i made the site to help lesser rebel scum trying to find a clue about the weekends!! ;)

http://swweekends.tripod.com

Delta Source (justin) is my secret spy over at disney so thanks to him!! Yeah, and u guys sign up to be reporters and send stuff from last year too...I need to get the site ready for the coming weekends!!! I need pics and reports from past weekends, even 2002!!

7. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    OMG OMG OMG! Well some of you prob heard this either from a site or from the 501st but the first weekend will not only have Anthony Daniels but Billy D (our favorite sabbac player!!)

heheheheh!

8. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Hi Orlando System,
    Sereana Knightstar here,from Tampabay. I am planning to come that weekend and lend a hand in greeting the FF from Altanta. Please tell me what I can do to help plan this and what I can do in general to help out. I plan to be in Orlando on Fri. and go to MGM on Sat. I have a reisdents pass and my blackout dates start June 7th. so this is great time. Please email me with details.
    Thanks,
    Marie in Largo

9. LordGoldenArrow

LordGoldenArrow Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    for all those who have costumes and are members of the Rebel Legion and the 501st Legion you can go look at the FL501st.com website and look at the forum there for how to participate in the SW weekends and what dates.

10. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Looks like their website is down currently. So is Disney actually allowing folks to come in costume to the park? That would be a first. By the way, there looks to be several different FanForce chapters coming down for the first weekend of it.

11. LordGoldenArrow

Jan 13, 2002
    The details are still being worked out. There are going to be a couple of weekends that Disney allows the Rebel Legion and 501st to participate in activities (parade and others) for Star Wars Weekends. I don't think they are allowing just anyone to wear a costume.

Like I said though. You'll have to check http://www.fl501st.com/boards/index.php
    under Star Wars Weekends for more information.

12. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I can only say that I am glad that Disney is setting standards on this for costuming.

Right now the Hothlanta Rebels are coming down the weekend of the 16th still. I am trying to convince the GA Garrison from the 501st to come down as well. I'd hate to be the only member from the garrison represented.

13. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    i hate to be the bearer of bad news but I will be going out of the country on May 31st so I can only attend TWO weekends :( Newho, I DESPERATELY need reporters for the other 3 weekends now since i wont be able to attend!!! neone interested visit my site!!

http://swweekends.tripod.com/reports/reporte.htm

14. Red-24

Red-24 Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    You can count on me! I can keep the news flowing!

15. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    planning on attending myself. We just got are Fanforce started up here in NJ. I am hoping my Kit Fisto costume will be ready in time for weekends. Hope to see you all there.

16. RebelCommando

RebelCommando Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Pardon me.... but talking about "standards" and not letting "just anybody" come in costume sounds really bad.

I am sure there are many people not afiliated with a group or club who have costumes they like to wear and that they are very proud of them and are just as "good" as anybody elses.

I would imagine the reason for not allowing or wanting visitors to wear costumes is that they want the focus to be on the attractions, events and "characters" they provide who of course are paid employees.

But having been a re-enactor and forced to be exact and spend a lot of money to attain the "proper look" with little leeway afforded me by historical books and photos, I can appreciate the less serious side of fan based costuming and I think it would make for a more festive atmosphere to allow everybody to dress however they want. After all isn't the point to have fun and celebrate Star Wars, not worry about whose costumes are correct.

17. vswader

vswader Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    does anyone know the celebrity lineup for the star wars weekends? any new changes/additions/deletions related to star wars (events). i heard that there may be a star wars "who wants to be a millionaire" edition....is it true???? please provide any details....and may the force be with you.

18. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Well, I understand your point Rebel Commando. I am not going to defend the standards of the 501st or Rebel Legion, because there is no need to. Setting high standards has made those 2 clubs what they are. The recognition received by LFL and the public is worth imposing high standards in my opinion.

However, I do think Disney is making a mistake and alienating some folks. It should either be let EVERYONE wear a costume or no one can. Either or. But by doing this, they show favortism over one or two clubs.

It would be like saying that unless you were a member of these groups, you couldn't wear a costume to Celebration II last year.

Considering we aren't part of Disney staff, I can see problems happening with park guests and even a liability for the park. But that is my opinion, and my opinion only.

With all that being said, as a member of the 501st myself, I think the folks going to Disney in costume for the entire day are...CRAZY. You couldn't get my dead corpse to be in a costume in FL in May/June. But I sure salute the insane souls who will do it.

19. Red-24

Red-24 Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    Jace you are soooo right! It gets so hot....

anyways, our level of security just went up 10 fold at WDW (road blocks, more security check points, etc...) I don't think fully costumed fans are going to be let in. Every morning I have to have security check my 7 dollar plastic lightsaber that i've brought to work for nearly 2 years now. I really don't think there going to like a replica blastech E-11.

Then there is the whole costumed fans mistaken for costumed Cast. Unless the 501st/RL has made some deal I don't know about this is going be one big fiasco. Not due to Disney or the Fans but just security reasons. This isn't a convention center.

Just a couple days ago we had to close the Star Tours building due to a "Scare". They're all jumping at shadows down here at WDW, I don't think there going to want armored stormies and rebel pilots walking around that aren't on WDW payroll.

20. LordGoldenArrow

Jan 13, 2002
    The FL501st is working on something with Disney threw official channels. Nothing is official. As far as I know though, it was Disney that first contacted the FL501st to talk with them about it months ago (after they were refered to us by LFL) and have been talking with them as the time went by. We know what they have asked us to do and what's been proposed but nothing is official. I don't think "just hanging out at the park as a costumed person" is part of the program. If you want to go and be in costume, part of the deal for doing that will be doing small stuff for disney. Call it working for them in a volunteer setting if you will. Find out the real "official" news by going to look on the FL501st message board. (not just what I think or have heard)

And as far as I know...you don't have to be officially part of either the 501st or the RL to participate in this event. We have people who are in the FL fanforce groups who are trying to participate with this and as far as I know as long as their costumes are nice they can. To participate as a costumed person, I think the only two real requirements are the costume is decent and you have to work with the group of people who are coordinating this for the "civys" The group who is doing that is the leaders of the FL501st guys who are working with Disney officials. That is why this information has been posted on the FanForce boards for anyone with a contact to go find out information on the FL501st.com website for themselves. I don't think it's asking too much to make yourself known and coordinate with the guys who are organizing this in advance. I may be wrong of course but that's what I know from discussing this with the people planning it.

Disney is not about to let just anyone wear a costume mainly for legal reasons. Everyone who goes to a Disney park that sees a person in costume will think you are a disney employee. So one of Disney's big concerns was that the groups are responsible. The two groups mentioned have had a great track record so far and have received recognition for it. That should also explain why they want to make sure no one throws on a bathrobe and calls themselves a jedi!

As for being in costume all day...we did that last year at City Walk for Universal Studios during the release of Ep II. 4 days of it! Fri Sat and Sun we had people out there all day. (thur was 1/2 day) They didn't spend the entire day in costume but neither will the people who do the Disney if it happens. More like a few hours here and a few hours there.

Red-24 is right about security being an issue! There hasn't been much new information on the talks with Disney since the Iraq thing and that may very well be the reason. We all thought we'd know officially by now one way or the other. The whole war thing might make this a mute point.

21. Red-24

Red-24 Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    I'm all for having the 501st/RL there. I'm in the legion so of course I want them to be offically invited to come. I just talked to the Special Events Manager, thats in charge of SWW this year, a few days ago. He said there are no (repeat: NO) plans to have non-disney cast members backstage, involved in meet & greets, fly bys, parade, or photo ops. It just seems to me that there is ALOT of planning going on when Disney hasn't given anyone the offical word on what's going. The Security manager isn't even sure if he can let Stormtrooper Armor/Rebel Trooper/Pilot Gear through the main gate. The only think he is sure about is that it isn't coming in any backstage entrance.

Another thing is the Costumed characters union. I know they aren't going to like people volunteering to be in costume. They will file a grievance against Disney for taking their hours if they use non-employed people in costumes. That sure will raise some hell.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just everyone to know what may happen when May rolls around. Here's hoping for the best!

Red-24

22. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Everything Red 24 has been completely logical and I agree with many of the thoughts expressed. As a member of the GA 501st, and soon member of the RL, I really hope that we could do something like this as a club. And I hope that people would with costumes would take the time to contact the FL501st on this to help out.

That being said, I really questioned this whole deal to begin with. Disney is pretty strict on their appearance standards and with the current state of world events, I just don't know how this would work. But I am not involved with the planning or really interested from a personal standpoint in going in costume. So it is a moot point.

And...having lived in FL and done other heavy Science Fiction costuming, I wouldn't be up to doing it at an event like this. That is only my personal view point. And personally, I think those that do are...well, crazy. Trust me, it takes one to know one ;)

23. RebelCommando

RebelCommando Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Well since I sweat standing still in shorts and tee shirts, even if I wanted to participate, I don't think I could last 10 minutes dressed as anything, even wearing the "lightest" costume I could make.

If I wore a Stormtrooper uniform I'd be like a sardine in a can.... wet and slippery.

Ewww :)

24. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    One of my reporters has recieved a letter from Jeremy Bulloch:

"Thank you for your letter. I hope to appear at Disneyworld on the weekend of 6th/7th/8th June for the Star Wars Weekends, Best Wishes Jeremy Bulloch"

Perhaps Justin can say something in respects? If the message comes straight from Jeremy (or in this case perhaps his fan club or something) perhaps it is reliable?

25. Red-24

Red-24 Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    I'm sure Mr. Bulloch will be there. He is a SWW regular. He is one of the best to have around. He gave us an autographed picture for our Star Tours Break room. Disney is still dosen't want to promise anything yet so the final guest list won't be posted for a while. We can assume that the regulars will be there i.e. Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, David Prowse, maybe some rebel pilots (we can only hope!)

Red-24

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.