main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Syal and Myri Fan Club: "You must be so proud."

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by imiller, Sep 8, 2012.

?

Syal or Myri?

1. Syal

26.5%
  2. Myri

38.2%
  3. Both

35.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    The galaxy knows their father as the man with two Death Stars painted on his snubfighter fuselage.

The intelligence community knows their mother as the woman who probably could have been director, but had better things to do.

Now, the galaxy is starting to know them.

Syal Antilles

[​IMG]

Created by Michael Stackpole in Union, she was clearly cut out for her father's trade, keeping her food on target...into her sister's hair. Named after her aunt, famous holostar Wynssa Starflare (also wife of Baron Soontir Fel), she grew up into one of the brightest fighter pilots of her generation, only to be faced with the horrors of Civ War Two and the moral impossibility of serving under Jacen Solo as he became Darth Caedus.

Myri Antilles

(sadly, the only images we have of Myri are rough sketches, Union pages of her as a toddler with...distinctive Union art, and Myri in really bizzare disguise for the Star Wars Insider short story "Roll of the Dice" by Karen Miller)

Also created by Stackpole in Union, Myri only recently came into her own. Wedge gave his youngest daughter the name of his dear childhood friend Mirax Terrik, which was appropriate, as Terrik's father Booster trained Myri as a gambler aboard his freelance Star Destroyer, the Errant Venture (which ship you should never mention around Myri, as she will praise it for hours. Probably literally.) After several years of this activity, amassing a fortune larger than any previous Antilles (save possibly her aunt before her marriage), Myri decided to do something she could be proud of. Failing to do that ;-) , she joined Wraith Squadron when it was unofficially reformed to root out the traitorous General Thaal.

With Wedge Antilles as a father and Iella Wessiri as a mother, greatness was practically thrust upon these two brilliant young women - but they've turned that greatness into something which, like their father and mother, serves not only their own interests, but also the interests of the galaxy.

I can't wait to see where they go next! Please, join in and explain, exposit, and enthuse about why the Antilles girls are some of the most promising heroes to hit the GFFA in years!

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  2. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm excited for both of them, but more so for Syal. :p
    I really enjoyed her in Fury and all of the LotF. Also, it's epic that we have new upcoming heroes that aren't Jedi or a Solo/Skywalker!

3. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Well I have another option, "Both, and more!"

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Sadly, as the only time the Antilles sisters really appear in is the Denningverse, which I despise with a passion, I don't know much about these beautiful young ladies.

5. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    More? How so?

Do you consider Mercy Kill the Denningverse? It deals with some of the consequences of it, certainly - but I think it makes more sense as the true sequel to the New Jedi Order rather than the Legacy era.

However, it is true that Syal only appears in Allston's Legacy of the Force novels - which I like for themselves, but also because of Syal and the continuation of the Antilles (wait for it) legacy :) But it's well worth it! Hopefully future posts about both of their histories will convince of that!

6. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The Denningverse is DNT, LotF, FotJ, Crucible, and SotJ, basically anything influenced by Denning in the post-NJO or directly built on that storyline, so side stories like the Jaden Korr duology aren't included. I plan on getting Mercy Kill in paperback, since hardcover kind of looks silly next to all nine of my X-wing series paperbacks that arrived yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Antilles sisters, but I know so little about them thanks their only real appearance being in the heartbreaking storyline of the aftermath of TUF.

7. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I feel you on the hardcover issue - though libraries are great things!

Well, anyhow, hopefully I can catch you up on why the Antilles sisters are awesome so that you can join in the fun without having to read the sadness!

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't doubt the Antilles sisters are awesome, particularly Myri in Mercy Kill, since it seems to be well liked, but I am still a little bitter over Allston implying that a Strident-class Star Defender are comparable in size to an ImpStar, and astounded by the decision to have a fall to the dark side without any attempt at redemption.

9. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I feel you on the lack of redemption - though I think that Allston had the least say in how that played out. I just searched Betrayal, and I don't see where he says that the Stridents are comparable to ImpStar Deuces. Plus, the problem with ship sizes is often not author's faults - there are contradictory reference materials, and Allston of all people does try to get his research right. Nonetheless, Iron Fist is supposedly 8 km long, and explicitly referenced as that length many times in the Wraith novels. I don't really think that detracts from their excellence, especially since the 8 km size of an Executor-class was accepted by most at that time.

Whatever one thinks of Legacy of the Force, however, I think there are many things that shine out of a deeply flawed, controversial, and dark story - especially Syal's journey.

About which more to come! And hopefully not just from me!

10. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Many people have interpreted that the Corellian fleet has "nothing in the same size class as the Dodonna" from page 86 to means that a Strident-class Star Defender is smaller than a Galactic-class battle carrier, based on the sense of the scene. Of course that could be interpreted differently to make the Strident-class much larger warships, but its really messy.

11. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Erm...okay...anyhow...

I'm actually quite interested in all the ships Allston invented/introduced. The way Syal becomes a test pilot both develops her character as someone trying to step out from her father's shadow, and expands our experience of Starfighter Command from just the reliable fighters to experimental flashes. I really wish that kind of thing had been pursued, instead of more and more X-class Wing fighters (not that I don't love them, it just doesn't ring true to me). And contrary to the Black Fleet Crisis's K-Wings, Allston spends quite a bit of time working out and showing how the things look and how they fly.

12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I really hope they start to include these two in more books. Allston has definitely gotten us off to a good start!

13. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Indeed! I also hope it doesn't take until they are their parent's ages - 60s - to become important enough to include!

14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Reading Mercy Kill now and loving it!! I get the 'You mut be so proud' line now!

Katana_Sundancer and s65horsey like this.
  15. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Ah! So glad you're enjoying it - tis definitely one of my favorites. I was thinking for about half an hour about what quote to use for the club title - this was my first idea, but I had to go through all their appearances. Other possibilities were "But Daddy, I keep my food on target" (from Union), and "Daddy always comes through."

16. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I like the one you chose. I think the other ones would've put too much on Wedge and not enough on the Antilles girls who this club is about.

17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I agree, having a famous parent as we all know just looking at Hollywood is a burden to be sure.

18. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Oh, yes! Especially since Wedge is famous for doing some actually fantastic good in the galaxy!

19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    But to live in THAT shadow! Even his wife lives in it to a certain degree!!

20. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Interesting point! Though to some extent, isn't it an out-of-universe effect from the fact that Wedge was in the three original films?

Question for the group: Did anyone catch the Karen Miller short story "Roll of the Dice" in the Star Wars Insider 135 this summer? That was a Myri short which featured the whole struggle to live outside of famous parents' shadows prominantly.

21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
  22. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll include it in the paperback release! I'm going over to the facebook page and suggesting that now :)

23. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah I missed that one too. I'll ask around to find out if there is access to it somewhere though.

24. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    So! While I prep my Syal and Myri posts following their history in the EU, what are some people's favorite moments?

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked Myri in Mercy Kill and I hope that Syal gets her own book soon.
    I want Myri and Syal to team up sometime.
    Syal should take over Rogue Squadron later on and Myri takes over Wraith Squadron as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.