main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Symbols - L/M AU Romance - Author's Note 12/19/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Oh so happy when I saw you had updated!!! =) yay!! It made my night. That was truly a fantastic update, way to go Mara!!!! =) Now, I think Luke needs to turn the charms up...and exert some of his "power" of being our fantastic-and irresistible- farmboy!

Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish

2. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    This chapter is so amazing, I even don't know where to start.

She put hands on her hips, ?How about since I hold the rank of Admiral in the Imperial Navy, I?m Imperial royalty, this is an Imperial loyalist planet? oh, and no one likes Jedi.?

If it wasn?t for the fact that her words were spoken less like sarcastic insults and more like the honest truth, he might have gotten angry.

?I?m not going to hide who I am and the galaxy needs to learn that the Jedi are not a force to be feared, only respected,? he almost sighed the words, ?but maybe I ask for too much too soon.?

Luke, always an idealist, and Mara... is Mara)

Peering into her green orbs, ?Why do the Imperials have to be so?? Why can?t you just-?

?Be all light and airy?? she rolled her eyes and stepped back. ?You New Republic guys might believe in sacrifice for freedom, but over here, freedom is sacrifice. We work for everything given to us.?

?Says the royalty with her own Star Destroyer,? he smarted back and regretted it as soon as her eyes met his again, a burning flame buried within.

?Trust me,? there was a drip of hatred and sorrow to her voice, ?I earned everything given to me.?

Adorable. [:D] You've shown Mara's identity in a pair of phrases.

His plan was to be a public eye witness to changes, or lack thereof, and to send that information back home? that is, if he could stop staring at the landscape.

That got his attention and he turned his face to ask her a question, but as soon as his eyes laid on her he forgot how to speak. The colors reflected off her porcelain skin giving her an ethereal shimmer, all the slight tints of her hair magnified tenfold. Mara literally glowed.

Oh, Farmboy...[face_love]

At her prompting he turned his eyes back to the sun which was about to completely fall beyond the horizon. When it did the sea became an inferno of color that spread across the waves and he forgot to breath.

Damn, I do understand how it feels... I want to the sea... NOW! :_|

After Palpatine?s death, the Calamari Proclamation was passed by the council. This released the Calamarians from their enslavement and set forth a schedule for returning much provincial control back over. However, simply freeing them in one swoop without thought to how that would affect the production of not just exports, but basic food stuffs, would be problematic at best. So a five year plan was devised in order to free all Calamarian?s, return lands, and ensure that the planet did not fall into poverty or hunger.

Oh, yes. It's easy to fight for freedom - to deal with the consequences of this fight is much harder.

That was the impression she was trying to give and she succeeded to freeze the party guests in fear, except for Luke, who could tell that Jade was not drawing on a single ounce of Force energy to intimidate the Governor and his men. They saw what they wanted to see, or in this case, what they feared seeing. His wife had a fearsome reputation indeed.

No Dark Side - just using people's weaknesses and fears - bravo, Mara!

3. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Great update! :) Glad that things are settling down for you at work!

There are so many things I like about this bit: the fact that they've learnt so much about each other in their short time together; that Mara is making an effort to have a proper conversation with Luke and not just be sarcastic or insulting; Luke still referring to the Jedi Knights as Guardians of Truth and Justice in the galaxy (while true, it seems terribly old-fashioned ;) :p )!

Lovely description of Mon Calamari. It's great to have a description of a not-so-frequently mentioned planet in the SW universe!

Y'know, I think it's a good thing that Mara did all that without touching the Dark Side at all. It shows that her motives are pure and she's aware of what she's doing - he just has a fierce wife ;) , which is a situation that other men do learn to deal with. :p j/k

4. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Some circumstance....[face_laugh] Take that sucker down!

Raptor517

5. Jedi_QueenBee

Jedi_QueenBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2008
    Yah! a great way for Luke to find out about his wife!!!

6. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ?I didn?t do this for you,? Mara crossed her arms, ?I just didn?t want to look stupid all dressed up with you looking like a peasant.?

He blinked a couple of times, ?A peasant??

She laughed, taking a few steps closer to him till she was barely two hand widths away. ?If you don?t grow a thicker skin, you?ll never make it over here.?

Oddly, this reminds me of what my sister said about the differences were between public and private schools... it's still true, though!

?Trust me,? there was a drip of hatred and sorrow to her voice, ?I earned everything given to me.?

Hmmm... hints of back story!!!!

?This isn?t going to be a regular thing??

?Let?s hope not,? she said with relief and a small measure of vulnerability.

?Okay then,?

*giggle* Boring? Life with Mara? Never!!!!

Well done and wonderful post. :)

7. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Just popping in to say hi. :D I loved this story and can't wait to read new posts!

8. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    That was great. Mara will all ways keep Luke on his toes and abit off balanced. I think he really finds that very sexy. Super job and thanks.@};-

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Very cool. Loved seeing Mara at "work" with that loathsome governor. She's not one to be underestimated.

Luke is learning how to adapt to Mara, how to understand what motivates her. She's far more complicated than he knew -- I wonder if she understands yet that Luke is the same way.

Great update!;)

10. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    I start reading TFN stories again, and low and behold RedGold is writing again!!

Great story - I'm really enjoying it - can't wait to read more!

TnTornado

11. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Update soon, just wanted to get these done cause you guys all rock. I also wanted to mention that I recently reread Bearing the Chosen and realized that I need to earn my crown back as Queen of Evil Fan Fic Writing.

Next chapter titled: Punching, Kicking and Screaming.

;) [face_whistling] [face_devil]

divinerose - That is a very good question... will his Jedi sensibilities stand for it or will he fall along with the trappings of power? hhmmm... we shall see... [face_thinking] [face_mischief]

Jade_eyes - This is Luke that we're talking about right? or better correction... this is me you'r talking about. [face_devil] [face_mischief]

FelsGoddess - Mara rulz. ;) :D [face_laugh]

Jedi_BMK - These two need to get a clue, right? hehehe :D Love your discription of Jade, too perfect. ;)

Goddess_At_Heart - Latten was a bit easy to subdue, but then he knows that he wouldn't have gotten off as lightly from Palpatine... and apparently there are some who think Mara is Palpatine-incarnate. Is that good or bad though? o_O [face_thinking]

Irish_Jedi_Jade - The fun thing about Luke being charming, is that he doesn't do it on purpose and usually doesn't realize he's doing it. [face_love] I'm sure he'll have his chance soon... :D ;)

Piper057 - Lots of development for Mara in this, Luke will get his fair share, but for the moment, Mara is... Mara. ;) :D

Valiowk - Mara and Luke know that they are both victims, so they are going to do their best to get along, but Mara is going to have issues in that she doesn't really understand how to have a friend. She's fierce indeed. :eek: ;)

Raptor517 - Mara isnt' one for subltly is she? LOL [face_laugh]

Jedi_QueenBee - She just keeps surprising him, huh? ;) :D

DaenaBenjen42 - Definately a hint at a back story... Mara is... complicated. But Luke isn't as cut and dry as he seems either. :D ;)

ginchy - HEYA!!! How's the parasite... erm... baby... :D [face_batting] :)

JEDIFLYSWATTER - Luke doesn't do boring. And you think he finds this sexy, just wait. ;) :D

divapilot - I think it will still take a little longer for Luke to figure Mara out, but I think he's getting the idea, or he should, you know how that farmboy can be. ;) :p

TnTornado - Yep, i'm back, great to see a familiar face! :D [:D]

12. lost_lauries_grapes

lost_lauries_grapes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2006
    Daaaaaaamn. Mara sure showed him! Great update, nice to see you back!

Peace,
    Bea

13. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm really enjoying the developments from the most recent chapter. Can't wait for more!

~ Myra

14. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    lost_lauries_grapes - Now, which one of these would win in a fight? hhhmmmm ;) Glad to be back!

Mirax_Corran - Glad you like! :D [:D]

So, a bit of a delay, my bad, or more really, my new boyfriend's bad. Yep, kinda fell into a relationship... not that I'm complaining mind you. ;) I'm going on a cruise too! Be gone for a week and a half. Both events are not related, it's been a really busy past few weeks... 8-}

Chapter 9 ? Punching, Kicking & Screaming

"I?m not sure if I should thank you or threaten you,? Beddine grumbled from the comm unit. ?Latten has been trouble, but to just invoke privilege like that? It may set the wrong precedents.?

?What?s done is done,? Mara shrugged and looked the better part of disinterested. ?You can?t back out.?

?I know that,? he guffed. ?Not that I?m left with much choice.?

?Fancy that,? she replied dryly.

Beddine tightened his jaw and drew in a very long breath, probably counting to ten, or fifty, in order to calm himself. ?I will dispatch Petri to take over Governship, we know we can trust him.?

?Petri,? she rolled the name over, ?Yes, I think he will do nicely.?

?Glad we are in an agreement,? the Chancellor shook his head.

Mara let out a short laugh, ?Wonders never cease.?

?Enjoy the rest of your trip,? he sighed, ?try not to get into any more trouble.?

Unfortunately the very snappy retort Mara was just about to think up was unusable as the comm went silent with Beddine signing off.

It was a reminder of her place, now that things were back to normal, back to business. She had staved off the darkness, the surreal nature of the wedding and her unbending desire to complete the peace process gave her the strength to push the darkness back when it wanted to encroach on her.

Reality had finally sat in and once again she felt the void, one of the many ripped ragged inside her over the years.

From her first memories she never had freedom, there was always something taking away everything that mattered to her. Always others were controlling her destiny. On her ship she felt a measure of power, but without warning she?d been starkly reminded of her weakness despite her strength. She was a puppet, never to be manipulated, only controlled.

Mara Jade, royalty, Force user, owner of a Star Destroyer, has a vulnerability complex. Oh, her therapist would have a field day, if she bothered to have such things. Instead, she let herself feel the anger and the defensive posture that made her feel safe. Nothing could touch her when that wrapped around her.

Her grandfather taught her that anger could make her powerful, but she didn?t trust it, she had learned that lesson. But it did come in handy, feeling anger was better than certain other, even more destructive, emotions. Everyone on the ship knew that when she got into these dark moods it was best to give her a wide berth and fix whatever was broken later without comment. All save one.

The office was at the back of her quarters and so she had to walk across the living area to get to her bedroom. On her way through she found Skywalker sitting in front of the holo, but it wasn?t on. He was just sitting there, meditating, stock still and barely breathing. It seemed to be his favorite spot. Mara had half a mind to turn the holo on at full volume one of these days to see if she?d get a reaction.

?Need something?? Luke asked her after she had stood there staring for longer than was polite.

?A level of understanding,? she replied flatly.

This made his eyes flit open and he turned his head towards her. ?You want to know about the Jedi??

She gave a rather unladylike snort, ?No, I want to know how you can just sit there while some of us actually work for a living.?

His brow creased and the stupidity of her statement shown in his face, ?What would you have me do??

It was a legitimate question, unlike her, he had no role to play. There was no one demanding his time, wanting something of him, placing responsibi

15. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    First!!

AUUGHHH!!!!! You would leave us there?!?!?!?!!?!??!!?!? NOOOOOO!!!!!

Still....excellent excellent post!!! I love love love it! Very raw and visceral. i'm wondering what this "Incident" is that Pellaeon is talking about. So curious! And I really hope Mara's okay!

Congrats (I think?) On the boyfriend and definitely on the cruise! But for my selfish sake, I hope they don't keep you away from posting!

Huggles!
    [face_good_luck] Irish

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great intense update and adds more to the (as if we needed it) complexity of Mara and the thorniness of trying to getting closer :D

Very awesome cliffie too BTW.

[:D]

17. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Get a job[face_laugh]

[face_thinking] Wonder what happened early in her life.

Great update.

18. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Mara Jade, royalty, Force user, owner of a Star Destroyer, has a vulnerability complex. Oh, her therapist would have a field day, if she bothered to have such things. Instead, she let herself feel the anger and the defensive posture that made her feel safe. Nothing could touch her when that wrapped around her.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Nicely done.

With a sigh, Gilad sat down on the sofa, ?When Mara was young an? incident? occurred.?

?What kind of incident?? he quested the ominous tone of the captain?s voice.

?Not my place to say,? Gilad held up a hand to stop Luke so he could continue, ?but suffice it to say, Palpatine was involved and the Dark Side of the Force. Every since then, Mara has had? troubles??

?Troubles,? the word was a bit of an understatement. ?The Dark Side was almost possessing her.?

?I suppose that?s a good enough term,? he agreed, ?Mara has no love of the Dark Side, but it seems to be a part of her. When she was younger it was worse, she couldn?t control it and would get into horrendous fits. Over the years the attacks have gotten less and less, though seemingly more random.?

[face_thinking] What sort of incident could have caused that to happen? I'm curious to hear about it.

His best bet was to do what the rest of the crew had apparently become accustomed to doing, laying low until the storm blew over. It was the sensible, intelligent, thing to do.

Leia always said she was the smarter of the two.

[face_laugh] Yep and he's the impulsive one.

The darkness liked to whispered, it had a voice, she knew that voice, knew it all too well. Can?t stop it but mustn?t listen to it.

The creepy whispering dark side. It creates so many problems but can be so much fun.

?Jade,? he shouted into her ear, ?breathe, relax and breathe!?

?How about maim and kill?? she hissed back.

Now what is a Mara Jade line if I've ever heard one. [face_laugh]

Interesting peek into Mara's past in this one. I'm looking forward to finding out more about what caused her to be like that.

Nicely done as I've come to expect from you.

19. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    The temptation to use the Force was there, but she still had enough mind to avoid it, bad things happened when it got involved.

She sounds like a scared child here. :)

Poor Mara, she fights so hard to keep her agression at bay. It's an awful feeling, when you're really angry and you understand that people around you only want to help... but all you want is kick, pinch and scream. *winces*

I hope she won't kill Luke after that.

This whole story really shows how much you love Mara's chatacter. =D=

20. Jedi_QueenBee

Jedi_QueenBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2008
    NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!
    you left us at another cliff hanger!!!!!
    When's the next post?o_O

21. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Wootie-woot-woot!=D=

Love it, girl! =D= Your L/M is to die for! I may just use exclamation points in every one of my sentences! Dang, but I've missed long L/M stories and yours is so so good!

Bravo! =D= =D=

22. lost_lauries_grapes

lost_lauries_grapes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2006
    Yes, Luke's obviously a couch potato.

When I first read that I thought *bow chicka bow wow*
    [face_laugh]

Peace,
    Bea

23. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    *de-lurks*

:eek: *Jaded_Girl scrapes her jaw off of the floor* Wow... this chapter was... wow!

I mean, this whole fic has been fantastic, but this chapter is SO powerful! Go Luke! Poor Mara!

Dying of curiosity regarding her past and the "incident". Plus there's Gilad, and not!evil!Anakin, and not!dead! Padme... I have had so much fun lurking! The best single line was "Leia has always been the smart one", [face_laugh]! But what Mara's going through... you can just feel it- in your stomach, in your teeth! Just very powerful writing! Excellent job!

And evil, EVIL cliffies! Why do you do this to us!? :_|

Up! (And is there a PM list going? [face_batting] )

24. Goddess_At_Heart

Goddess_At_Heart Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2010
    You left off there???!!! Really?? :_| So not fair..... [face_not_talking]

What could have happened in Mara's childhood to get under her skin like that? [face_thinking] (Well, I know a lot of things get under her skin but this one's got to be the worst.)

Luke, Luke. :rolleyes: :p When a female is mad you do not mess with them. At All.

But in this case I guess he did it for the right reason's. [face_whistling]

So when's the next post?? :D

25. Lady_Jedi93

Lady_Jedi93 Jedi Knight star 4

May 11, 2010
    :eek: Whoa! =D= This is an awesome story!

I would loved to be added to your PM list.