main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tatooine's Importance

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Why does everything revolve around it. Its been in 4 of the 5 movies so far. Why not spread the arc around abit. Why does it always have to be tatooine.

Axl.

2. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Anakin Skywalker is from Tatooine. The Hutts are from Tatooine. Ben and Beru live on Tatooine. Tatooine, Tatooine, Tatooine! When does it all end? ;)

I don't understand what you're asking here. Are you asking how GL made up the idea for the planet? Or why what happens is now evovling around it?

3. evanchester

evanchester Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    The only time it wasn't necessary to go to Tatooine was in ROTJ.

4. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Anakin and Luke, two of the main characters in the Star Wars Saga both came from Tatooine.

Since these two are important, so too is Tatooine.

It is important to show that Luke and Anakin came from humble beginings and Tatooine exactly fits that bill.

5. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

from the 'mythology used in sw' thread:

Tatooine is a womb symbol, representing the womb of the universal mother (or, in a sense, Nature) in one of her many forms. The universal womb could be a cave, a grove, a stable, a water jar, or countless other forms ...

Tatooine is the hiding place, the universal womb, for both Anakin & Luke. They are both born and hidden there ...

It is the hiding place for Obi-Wan, a place of safety and meditation before he is re-born as Ben Kenobi, and when he is again re-born as Obi-Wan.

It is also the hiding place for Han & Chewie, while they escape from Jabba the Hutt and try to find enough money to save themselves, to be reborn.

The fact that Owen & Beru remain there is also significant: they never leave its safety, believing nothing will happen to them there. But you can't stay in the protective fold forever - if you don't venture out of the protective fold into the hostile void, the hostile void will eventually overcome your little oasis and destroy you.

Because there is no such things as perfect safety.

6. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    Do we know for sure that luke was born on tatooine? we do know he has grown up there, but no where does it state so far that luke was born on tatooine.

7. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Probably not. Anakin wasn't born there, either.

It's not important. It's still a womb symbol - it's where they are hidden while they prepare to face the world (just like Han, Obi-Wan, etc) ...

Think of it like a seed being planted. It doesn't matter where in the galaxy the seed comes from, they're all planted in Tatooine. They germinate there until they're strong enough to break through the surface and stand on their own - literally or metaphorically.

8. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Why wasn't it necessary to go to Tatooine in ROTJ?

It had been established as far back as '77 that that's where Jabba was. "I was just going to see your boss..." And Jabba had been mentioned in both movies prior to ROTJ. So it made a lot of sense dramatically to bring him in... and Tatooine was where they had to do it.

9. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think that Tatooine is so important because it shows that even the most important people come from humble beginnings, like a lot of people have previously said.

10. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    ****BEWARE - SEVERE RANTING*****

I am SO sick of Tatooine. It was boring enough in ANH so GL could ship off the main character from there to somewhere more interesting, so why try to make it interesting in the PT???!

It has become far too big and far too important for my tastes.

I never watch the Tatooine scenes in TPM and never watch them in AotC either. Boring, boring, boring.

11. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    It was too necessary to go to Tatooine in ROTJ. It was established in ANH that Jabba lived there and in ESB it was established that that is where Boba Fett was taking Solo. So if they were going to rescue Solo it was imperative that they go to Tatooine in ROTJ.

12. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Tatooine is like, one of the most important planets in the galaxy. All things lead towards Tatooine, its like a nexus in the Force.

13. Darth-Protius

Darth-Protius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Tatooine is to SW, like 1955 is to back to the future.

14. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    It was too necessary to go to Tatooine in ROTJ.

If GL had the technology for RotJ, the whole sarlacc pit thing would have been on the planet Nal Hutta - not Tatooine.

15. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Tatooine is to SW, like 1955 is to back to the future.

I like that analogy. :D

16. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

May 8, 2002
    I never thought of it that way. Great ananlogy.

axl.

17. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    "The only time it wasn't necessary to go to Tatooine was in ROTJ."

"Why wasn't it necessary to go to Tatooine in ROTJ? "

I think this was a general complaint against the opening sequence.

Luke does what?! gives a good example of some of the complaints about it.

"Tatooine is to SW, like 1955 is to back to the future."

Agreed.

I always enjoy this from the website...

Tatooine

"The Old Republic and the Empire that supplanted it paid very little attention to the remote planet Tatooine. Ironically, beings that called this dusty world home would be influential in bringing down both galactic governments."

18. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Tatooine is used to link the two trilogies, so that when we saw TPM we said oh, look Anakin lived in Tatooine also...

It's GL way of bringing the same theme over and over. Like the

"I have a bad feeling about this" line

19. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Evanchester "The only time it wasn't necessary to go to Tatooine was in ROTJ." What about Han? If he had not have been un-frozen who would have been the leader and flew the Shuttle Tyderium to Endor(sp)?

TheOzhaggis "Anakin wasn't born there, either." I started a thread on Ep III (Spoiler Forum) and asked "Where was Anakin Born." Everyone said Tatooine, and the thread was locked.
    But in watching TPM Anakin said what he doesn't know where he was from.
    This may answer a few things if we can find out where he was born or where Shmi was living before Tatooine. Remember, if she was impregneted somewhere.
    If she was impregnanted under the influence of the force or Sith force, as the case may be. If she was sent to Tatooine that would be why Anakin was not tested as a child for midiclorians.
    Luke was not tested for midiclorians either.
    Qui-Gon said "our meeting was no accident." Palpatine knew that someone would find Anakin and have him trained.
    If this is the case Palpatine is most likely Anakins father. This would show just how evil Palpatine is, if he would kill Vader or Luke in RTOJ.

20. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    My theory on why Tatooine is so important to the SW saga comes from one of the first lines in ANH. When Luke says to Threepio " If there is a bright center to the universe, I am on the planet farthest from it". Now even though Tatooine seems so far from importance, at least to Luke, it turns out it is one of, if not the most important planets in the galaxy.

21. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

May 8, 2002
    I doubt old palpy is anakins father.

axl.

22. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    How about if Dooku were Anakins father. Think of the symbolism. He cuts of his sons arm and Vader cuts off Lukes hand.

Look at the parallels.

Dooku is a sith and cuts Anakins arm off.
    Vader is a sith and he cuts Lukes had off.

How about this for a shock. Dooku is Anakins father and is killed by Anakin in front of Palpatine. Vader was to be killed by Luke in front of Palpatine. How much of a twist would that be?

23. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Count me in on the side that's waaaaaay tired of seeing Planet Dustball. Surely, Lucas and company could've come up with a few more different planets/climates!

24. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    " If there is a bright center to the universe, I am on the planet farthest from it".

Luke was wrong. It would seem. I wish he had been right.

25. bad radio

bad radio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 1999

The place of the hero?s birth, or the remote land of exile from which the hero returns to perform his adult deeds among men, is the mid-point or navel of the world. Just as ripples go out from an underwater spring, so the forms of the universe expand in circles from this source.

? Joseph Campbell, [i]The Hero with a Thousand Faces[/i][hr][/blockquote]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.