main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TCG] Battle Of Yavin Online Line Event

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Bacabachaui, Nov 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    All TCG threads now go here to the new board

Ok, so A New Hope is out today in most countries. Battle of Yavin is the next set, due out March 2003.

It may seem a bit early to start lining up, especially because we have a long cold winter ahead. However I do not feel like taking down the tents from our ANH Line Event and the Ferrets built a permanent ramada for parties on the south side of the parking lot anyway.

Besides, this is the best place as any to play some games with the new expansion while we discuss the next set.

What do we know about the Battle Of Yavin expansion?

Well for starters we should get Han Solo (more than the currently one hard to get promo), Chewbacca, the Falcon and the Mighty Death Star.

I have seen both the Falcon and the Death Star and... all I can say is pretty nice!

I also hope we get a piloting Luke and Piloting Vader in BOY.

Any more speculation? Care to guess on any new abilities if any? New cards you want to see?

2. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I must say, patience will be tested in this queue!

So Chewbacca is coming in BOY eh? What is it with card games and Chewbacca?

CCG:missed the premier set and had to wait for the first expansion.

JK: completely missed out.

TCG: again, had to wait for the second OT set.

Poor guy. Don't these card makers know it's unwise to upset a Wookie?

3. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    My question is how are they going to make Ground units in the battle of yavin? there were no real ground units in the Battle.

4. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    So Chewbacca is coming in BOY eh? What is it with card games and Chewbacca?

CCG:missed the premier set and had to wait for the first expansion.

JK: completely missed out.

TCG: again, had to wait for the second OT set.

Poor guy. Don't these card makers know it's unwise to upset a Wookie?

Plus he never got a medal like Han and Luke, and they killed him in the EU. He get's no respect! :)

My question is how are they going to make Ground units in the battle of yavin? there were no real ground units in the Battle.

Some of the Death Star parts are Ground units in this set. Since the Death Star is a moon sized station, this kinda makes sense, at least as much sense as Trade Federation Contol Core does. Ground Arena is a mix of infantry, vehicles, and items representing battle locations where infantry and characters fight. So we could see some of the things like Yavin 4 tower as a ground unit. Also, even though the set is themed after specific part of the movie, there are usually other parts included that are not. Like Wedge being released now instead of BOY, and waiting for Han until BOY. Both are "outside" their expansion spectrums. So we may see Ground units like Death Star Control Bridge, or other ones like Yavin 4 Hangar Bay.

5. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    *rubs hands together* i can't wait.
    all i know is that i will be pretty upset if Chewy is weak. really upset.

really really upset.

really really upset, more than i am that he wasn't in the ANH set

oh well, hey is vader's TIE in the ANH set or is it comeing with the BOY set.

6. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    There are 2 Vader's Ties in ANH. Both very cool.

7. SithDooku

SithDooku Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2002
    I guees I could step in line.

8. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Welcome! We're currently opening packs of ANH and throwing the wrappers at the Ferrets (who eat them for some reason).

9. BobaFerret

BobaFerret Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, the ferrets are only chewing on the wrappers, not ingesting them. They're waiting for Funky Wampa to bring more pizza.

I think they'll behave this time as long as NO ONE GIVES THEM BEER! Krispy Kremes, sure. Just no alcohol.

10. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    Root Beer is about all i can have. :)

11. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    In that case, DO NOT drink the "Jawa Juice"!!!!

12. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    Sounds interesting.

13. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    To bring this back on topic (sheepish grin) how about we start speculating on what cards we hope to see.

I want to see:
    Han Solo A-D
    Millenium Falcon (at least 2 versions, A, B)
    A piloting Luke
    Chewbacca A-C
    MORE PILOTS
    Death Star A-C
    Porkins
    Light Side unit or Battle card called "Death Star Trench"

14. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    *Brings some Yoda Soda*
    Well, as long as Han, Chewie, the Falcon, and the Death Star are in Battle of Yavin I will be happy! I can't wait for those cards. I hope they make Chewbacca have a really high power, he is really cool!

15. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    Chewie is my most looked forward to card.

He should be something like...
    Build 10
    Speed 60
    Power 8
    Heath 8

16. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Gametext could be:

Pay 2 Evade 2

Whenever Han and Chewie are in battle together, your opponent must pay 1 extra force to play battle cards.

17. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    Thats a good Idea.

18. yoda4982

Jul 10, 2002
    wow haven't been here in a while.

well got my darkside ANH back and well lets just say it rocks, i know have three vaders four star destroyers, and vader's TIE well one of them. I have lost only once. It didn't surprise me that the darkside in this set is stronger than in AOTC, other than Dooku, sid and maul, your character arena isn't that great, esspecially if the LS loads theres up with Jedi, and their space units stick as well, they only have some ok ground stuff, but the ANH is great and i can't wait to see what they do with the BOY expansion. There are also alot better mission and battle cards that have been a big help.

it seems to me other than Obi-Wan, the only really good character is Leia, not Luke, but i expected this, i haven't scene Lukes X-wing piolt card but that might be a good one to have, well i am done rambling about this awsome set, can't wait to see what BOY has in store.

19. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Leia rocks in this set. Luke is purposely dumbed down to match his character in A New Hope and there isn't a pilot Luke yet, but we can hope it will come out in BOY. Although Luke is not that powerful, if he is stacked he can still hold his own.

I am currently testing an all Skywalkers deck (Luke, Leia, Padme, Anakin...The whole family!) that seems to be working pretty well and it is fun to play. The biggest weakness is the fact that a lot of Force is devoted to keeping Anakin in the arena instead of Vader, but I am working on overcoming this.

20. yoda4982

Jul 10, 2002
    i love my vaders, i really like the pay tw0 force get +2 power. i creamed my foes with this everytime i get he out of the draw.

right now my decks are pretty simple, strong in space and character with the battle/mission cards that help those the most.

same with my DS ANH set, which should be completed very soon.

Yoda

i don't thing Chewie will be faster than his power, like 30 speed, 10 power, 10 health.

i don't know can't wait to see what his specials could me, mechanic maybe, gives the Falcon a little something.

21. Wedge-Wan_Kenobi

Wedge-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2002
    I'll step in line...
    One thing I hope we'll see is some sort of bombard attack for fighters against Death Star emplacements - Any idea if this'll happen?

22. yoda4982

Jul 10, 2002
    that would be a cool battle card for the LS space formations, not single fighters. but then you would have to be able to have those fighters attack the ground units.

23. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Good idea.
    One possibility of how it could be:
    Bombing Run

Pay 6 force---> This turn, each of your untapped starfighters may attack a Ground unit during the Space battle using 2 power plus any other effects.

24. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    Mission Card
    "Tarkins Steanch"
    Build 2
    Use with Leia she is +2 as long as Tarkin is in the Character Arena.

25. yoda4982

Jul 10, 2002
    why not and add vader's leash, something about the two of them in the arena at the same time some special, like +2 power

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.