main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TCW is a very poor telling of a star wars story.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthVendictivis, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Then it's unfortunate that you're also talking about The Clone Wars, which is neither movie canon, nor separate from the EU.

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    "But it's by George Lucas, therefore it's better".

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  3. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Ha! You said everything I could have!

TCW just gets better every episode. Love it!

Alexrd likes this.
  4. Darthgoodguy

Nov 2, 2012
    George has stated, however, that unlike the EU, The Clone Wars is just as canonical as the movies. George had no DIRECT oversight of the hundreds of books and HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of individual choices that were made creatively over the course of more than twenty years of those novels, comics, etc.

Contrast that with The Clone Wars which George has been directly involved with from the beginning. The rest? It's all professional grade fan fiction.

The Shadow Emperor and Alexrd like this.
  5. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, you're one of those people. I see.
    How sad it must be to have a small Star Wars universe and such a strong sense of denial.

Apophis_ and JackG like this.
  6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Georgey may not have had a hand in every novel, comic or video game, but he sure loved reaping money they produced.
    And I agree Mia Mesharad, how sad it must be to only have a universe of TCW and the films; there's so much greatness and complexity out there.

Apophis_ and Mia Mesharad like this.
  7. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    TCW is superior to the PT in many ways.

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

To be fair it was Lucas idea rather than Filoni's to bring him back since Savage was ment to be their Maul character.

At least it has been written in a fun an entertaining way, Besides watching Palpatine prove why he is the Master was great.

9. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    I'm glad Maul's chicken legs are gone. His animation just looked off at times.

10. Darthgoodguy

Nov 2, 2012
    No, I'm fond of quite a bit of the EU and am really enjoying the Dawn of the Jedi series by Dark Horse. I wish I had more time to read the novels and such but since I have a family now, I haven't had time to read any novels for a good 5 or 6 years.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy the EU, I just realize there is a difference between EU and "G"- level canon.

11. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    Hate his new legs, preferred the Grievous style.
    But obviously weren't as well built, how many times has Grievous been shot and was fine :p
    Witch magic is no match for well built Grievous.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Who are you to judge those who view the EU as secondary material? Since I'm included in one of "those people" who generally accepts Lucas' material over anything the EU offers, care to clarify what you mean with "strong sense of denial"? And what's sad about having an alleged "smaller" universe? At least I don't have to deal with Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc only to have him in the future fall again and survive. Or having the Emperor surive through a bunch of clones thus removing any sense of accomplishment from Luke and Anakin at the end of RotJ. Yes, so much creativity...

13. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Who am I? I'm the person who understands official company policy that states all officially licensed material released under the Star Wars brand is canon, regardless of creator or source. I'm the person who understands that the oft brandished Letter-canon system is empty, outdated, and false; G-canon has been trumped by C-canon, T-canon has been trumped by C-canon—the newest material, regardless of creator or source, holds canonical precedence. I'm the person who has experienced story telling in the EU so rich that it makes the otherwise enjoyable movies look like a joke, cheap B-movie trash. I'm the person who experienced Revenge of the Sith on screen and again in print, and found the screen wanting. I'm the person who's had fresh Star Wars available at her fingertips nearly everyday for the last 15 years while narrow-minded movie fans have been left mulling over the same things for half a decade.

And most of all, I'm the person who's tired of taking the time to have pleasant, reasonable discussions with amiable people, open to discussing any idea, answering any question, and debating any concept in a friendly manner, only to have someone inevitably come along, making an ass of themself, laughing and denouncing everything I enjoy as second-rate fan fiction or some other equally ridiculous nonsense. That's who I am, that's how I can judge.

Denial that anything Lucas didn't contribute directly to can be any good. Denial that other people can be better than Lucas. Denial that there's more to the universe than what's contained in twelve hours of narrowly-focused films. Denial that no matter how much you idol worship Lucas, he doesn't give a crap about you in the slightest, beyond how much money he can wring out of your wallet. Denial that everything he says today won't have changed by tomorrow, and denial that the scene you love most in your favorite movie won't be changed, redubbed, or cut altogether on a strange whim or the off chance a rerelease will bring in more cash.

When I wake up tomorrow and decide that I want new Star Wars, I can have new Star Wars. I can get a new book, I can read the latest comic issue, I can be back in the Star Wars galaxy on a new adventure in an instant, whenever I want. There's always more Star Wars for me. You've got a long wait for the next movie. You've got a week's wait for the next Clone Wars, and a summer's wait between seasons. You've got maybe a dozen characters you enjoy; I've got a hundred. What's not sad about having a smaller universe?

You can point at the few oddities the EU's produced, but everyone with half a brain and a day's worth of experience on these boards knows that that argument's highly fallacious, and comparing the entire span of the Expanded Universe to a few forgotten quirks in disingenuous in the extreme. It's a child's argument, and has less than a leg to stand on.

14. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    TCW could be better, as could the PT, as could even the OT (heresy alert!!). But I don't think it is worthy of the description "very poor". It is far from that.

I get the impression that the people behind it know their stuff, they know their EU (insofar as they are aware when they rewrite over something, and don't blindly stomp over in ignorance), they know what makes a good story, they know the kind of stories that are going to appeal to older fans and new alike, it is just their execution of it is in a constant state of tweaking and improving. Season One was head and shoulders above any other animation currently on TV, IMO, and it has only improved season-on-season. Could it get better? Of course it could. And will continue to do so.

Darthgoodguy likes this.
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Bad strawman. Nobody is arguing that. Every EU material is secondary to G-canon.

What you understand or not is irrelevant. That's the official policy.

Nothing has been trumped. When there is a contradiction, G-canon takes precendence.

In your opinion.

And your opinion of a movie is relevant for the argument in what sense?

Who's the narrow-minded? Nobody is judging you for liking the EU, and likewise you shouldn't judge those who don't. Everyone has their tastes and preferences. Using ad hominem against other not only reduces your credibility and maturity but also makes any possible discussion pointless.

By using ad hominem? Sorry, but I can't stand the irony here...

The EU is second rate canon. There is a reason for why every Star Wars author has a clause on their contract that says that anything in their work can in the future be discarded from canon. And this intel comes from one of those authors on this very forum.

Fortunately your opinion is not more valid than ours.

Source? First, you wrongly assume that as a fact, when it's just your personal opinion. Second, and based on that fallacious argument, that's no justification at all.

Strawman.

Strawman.

Again, two fallacies. First, you're assuming we idol or worship Lucas. False. Second, you assume that him giving a crap about our choices matters. It doesn't.

Strawman.

Strawman, again. You're arguing about things that nobody has brought up.

Again, you are not above anyone else here to judge anyone about their choices. Just because you think it's "sad", that doesn't make it so.

Anybody with half a brain can respect other people choices and not judge them as if you had the moral high ground.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Enough with the canon debate and taking veiled shots. Time to get back on topic.

Paparazzo and Seerow like this.
  17. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

You are aware this was a nod to the fans of the EU with this version of Maul. As for Maul returning... BRAVO! I have zero problems with this and his appearance in the last arc is some of the best storytelling in the entire Star Wars Saga.

Yancy

18. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    In the TCW saga, yes, but it's too rushed and had to lower some characters' intelligence.

19. Darthgoodguy

Nov 2, 2012
    Yeah the story was told at a breakneck pace but I wouldn't change that even if I could. It lent an intensity to the episodes that was mesmerizing and unrelenting. Some of the best storytelling of the series IMO.

rumblewagon likes this.
  20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I believe many people were excited about Season 4's end and "Revival", but then hate to endure those stupid non related arcs for 6 months, and saw they have to pack so many stuff in 3 episodes. There are a lot of plot could be added since so many factions and important characters are linked to Maul. Now Maul is not dead, but his reign is clearly over. What a waste. Also, I prefer better plot rather than exciting fight and visual effects. Sure, Sidious VS Maul brothers are cool, but I still prefer he stay behind the stage and use others to do his work rather than risk himself.

Palpatine' overall portrayal in TCW is a failure.

21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Two years ago I started watching this show called "The Clone Wars" which a friend of mine said was horrible because he hated the movie. I found that Netflex sleeve and put that disc in my PS3 and I was hooked. I think its one of the best animated shows on TV.

It sounds like your talking about the Zillobeast duology. The Jedi Master your talking about would be just Anakin who isn't one, right? TCW tends to show the Jedi favoring their lightsabers over the force but that's not to far off from how the PT does things if you ask me. Anakin is the last Jedi who I would expect to calmly back up and think when his wife goes over an edge.

Would you believe TCW actually makes the Gungans look cool? Check out the Water Wars arc which is the premiere of season 4. Don't expect to much from it but you can expect that. Jar Jar is kinda cool in "Supply Lines".

I'm not so sure with the battle droids. The battledroids are almost always use like putty patrollers and tend to get beat into the ground whether by Jedi or an 80 year old grandma.

The clones are soldiers. Soldiers die in war. It wouldn't be very realistic to see them in battle otherwise. The last thing I would call them in a bunch of babies. Check out "Landing at Point Rain" and "Darkness on Umbara" then watch the 3 episodes that follow.

Grievous has killed one Jedi in this series. He's usually the one who runs away.

What book was that? I want to read it.

Suspicious indeed...

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That sucks.

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    He looked better in "Bound for Rescue". Ahsoka almost died there. So things are looking up for the dude.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, he should be a dreadful Jedi killer rather than the clown he is now, could not kill a padawan easily, got owned by Gungans, stole his kill and gave to Savage, no, that's a bad way to portray a villain.

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I assume your talking about the Microseries portrayal of Grievous? He's cool there however TCW's portrayal is closer to ROTS where Mace himself calls Grievous a coward. He does bit of running there. Where TCW Grievous needs work is in demonstrating his stratagem as the leader of the droid army. IMO.

KenobiSkywalker and V-2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.